Hunger Games Trilogy

Discussion in 'General' started by lovelylily, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to this, but didn't see any threads so thought I'd start one. Wow, this series is amazing! I haven't had a book touch me this much in a long time. Such amazing character development. And you just fall in love with the characters. I felt like I was living in the story for the few short days it took me to read and reread all 3 books. The plot is suspenseful and deeply romantic. I found myself never really knowing what to expect next. I steered clear of this series when it first became popular because they are in the teen section, but I highly recommend them if anyone was thinking of reading them. I think it's in the teen section because the main characters are teens, but they live the lives of adults. Also the deeper threads of the book dealing with the impact of war and violence on humanity make it an excellent read for any age! Anyone else love these books?

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i read the first book in 3 hours...and i just received the other two today..I'm sorta scared to start reading on a "school night!"

3. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I have just started the first book, looking forward to reading a lot more of it tonight!!

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just recommended these to me. Thanks for the recommendation.

5. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

LOVED these books! So did my husband!

6. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I'm on the waiting list at my library :( 10 more before me. Can't wait!

7. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I read a lot of middle school/teen books. I subbed in the middle school quite a bit over the last year and a half. I was always looking at what the kids were reading. Here are some others I like:

Unglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras (a 4 book series)
    Unwound
    Shadow Children series (by Haddix, 7 books in the series)
    The Missing series (also by Haddix, 3 books: Found, Sent, Sabatoged)
    Life As We Knew It, The Dead and the Gone, This World We Live In (by Pfeffer, 3 book series)

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i loved The Hunger Games!

and i second The Uglies series. i've had a lot of good luck with teen fiction lately too. :good:

9. lovelylily

Almost through the 3rd book for the second time. I'm just glancing over the highlights now. I think part of what I can't get enough of is the genuine love. When I think teen book, I think shallow, inconsequential relationships. How encouraging it is to see that I'm wrong! I'm sure I'm particularly intrigued by it because of my deep desire for romance in my life during this phase of young children. Can anyone else relate ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions for other books. :) I'll definitely check them out. :good:

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I've read all three. Since my masters is in library media education (middle school) I try to read as many of the books as I can that are popular with my middle school students (this is the reason most of the books I read are young adult or juvenile). This was a huge hit and I read them as soon as they each hit the bookstores. Fantastic read. Might I suggest James Patterson's Witch and Wizard series for when you are finished. Along the same line. I just started the first book, and it's hard to put down. Also, Gregor and the Overlander series are fantastic books for boys. They are also by Suzanne Collins. My son rarely reads, but he finished the whole Gregor series as fast as he could and loved them.

11. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I was hesitant to read these books because I am not really into sci-fi and that is what I thought they were, but I finally decided to read them after seeing all the great reviews. I am now reading them for the second time and about 25% of the way into the 3rd book. DH started reading the 1st book and said "I can see why you got addicted to these and can't put them down". The character development is great and each chapter/book leaves you wanting more.

I can't wait to see how the movie version turns out. I think it is going to be out next year and they are casting now, so it is interesting to see which actor is cast for each character since I have such a clear picture in my mind already from the books. I really curious who they will cast as Haymitch since we heard Jack Black might be an option.

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can totally see jack black in that role.

13. miss_bossy18

me too! that would be a great choice. i didn't realize they were making a movie but i'm glad they are. it's great movie material. are they doing a trilogy? or are they going to try & cram it into one movie?

14. Utopia122

There's no way they could make one movie out of all three books. It would have to be three, it wouldn't even make sense to make just one movie.

15. lovelylily

I'm excited for the movie because the author is writing the screenplay. Hopefully that will ensure an excellent movie! I've read that Jennifer Lawrence will star as Katniss. Not sure how I feel about that. I have such a clear picture in my head of both her and Peeta. Some of the other characters not so much. Either way I will probably enjoy it :)

16. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I agree, but they say she can really act and a lot can be done with hair/makeup to make her look like Katniss. I think they may have been trying to get her to look a little like the girl they cast for Prim and I didn't realize in the books she had long blonde hair until I read them a second time. Now I'm wonder about Peeta because they say Hunter Parrish from Showtime's Weeds is a possibility and I could totally see his blue eyes fitting the picture I have in my head from the books description. I now hear they are pushing it back to a 2013 release and I hope they film all three books at once if they do separate movies because the story takes place over such a short period of time. If they wait too long the actors may show age too much like the younger ones for example.

17. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I'm just jealous that you got to read all three of them straight through. I read the first two and had to wait almost a year for the release of Mocking Jay. It was a killer wait. The first book of the series is still my favorite. Really liked the second one, but the third was just meh for me. I mean Collins does not fail to continue the action and suspense, but I found myself a little...bored in parts. In any event, it's one of the best series I've ever read, though it still doesn't beat The Mortal Instrument series for me. I pretty much only read YA, so I'm always in the "children's" section of book stores and the library. Although both of these places do have a separate YA section.

18. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I finished the 2nd one last night and started the third today! So good. I have people asking me what they are about and I am having a hard time describing it!

Love them! Quick reads!

19. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Yes I agree that there were a few parts of book three that dragged a bit for me, but I think they were needed for the overall storyline. I loved the ending and had to re-read it the first time to make sure I understood how it really ended.

I can't imagine having to wait that long between books. I am not a patient person :ibiggrin: and waiting for the movies from books like Hunger Games and Twilight drives me crazy.

I did find this shirt Hunger Games T-Shirt and had to get it. "Real or not real" was one of my favorite parts/lines of the book because it just seemed to touch on the love, healing, and everything they had been through.

20. double-or-nothing

Okay, people, so, we already have Katniss cast, and they just announced the actors who have been chosen to play Peeta and Gale. Not super impressed, but i'm hoping their acting skill will totally suck me into their characters.

My link

And here's Katniss:
    My link

21. akameme

Finished the last one on Saturday...still reeling. What an enjoyable read (and no offense to Twilight folks, I thought a million times better).

Eh..I'm not sure. Haymitch has more depth...I actually think someone like a Russell Crowe could be interesting (not sure how old Haymitch is supposed to be).

I'm sure they are making 3 movies, but as someone else said, I hope they are filming back to back since the whole thing takes place over about a year.

22. miss_bossy18

i think Jack Black has a lot of depth to him, we just don't get to see it very often. i think he could pull the roll off.

23. Utopia122

Just from the look of the boys chosen to play the characters, I like their looks...totally look the part. I've never seen them in any movies or shows, so I, too, hope they do the book justice. Katniss...Jennifer whoever...seems too girly girly. Again, never seen her in any movie and going purely on looks, so have no clue, but I do hope she can play the rugged part of Katniss.

24. Utopia122

I have seen Jack Black in serious rolls and he is fantastic, so I think he could do it. I also think Gary Oldman would make a terrific Haymitch.

25. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I love these books..and cant wait for the movies. :) Thanks for the links to the actors...I hope they shine and the movie is good.

Brandy

26. lovelylily

Me too, I just hope they don't try to pull one of those "sexy airhead" gone wild as they do in so many of the fantasy movies geared toward men like V is for Vendetta, etc. That just irritates the crap out of me! Katniss clearly had a lot of depth to her and her less than obvious good looks were an important part of that. It will be hard to relate if she's too girly because in the books, she's very not.

27. double-or-nothing

Jennifer Lawrence should be great. I'm sure they'll make her look the part. I haven't yet seen her in Winter Bones, but she was nominated for an Oscar, so I'm guessing the girl has got some skilz. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure I'll totally fall in love with her in the role. Check out this link for the rest of the characters they've casted so far. I'm totally gettin' psyched!

My link

There are talks that John C. Reilly may play Haymitch. I think he'd be kinda perfect myself.

28. akameme

Winter's Bone was amazing, Jennifer Lawerence was amazing, she will be great as Katniss... and the Prim actress has the exact look I would expect.

And Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket is perfect. I can.not.wait for this movie.

29. akameme

Woody Harrelson was just announced as Haymitch...I think it's great casting.

Haymitch

1 person likes this.
  30. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Haven't read these yet, but they are on my list of ones I want to read this summer!

31. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Woody Harrelson seems perfect.

32. Utopia122

Oh yeah, Woody Harrelson will work. Maybe now I will be able to get my husband to watch it since Kingpin is his absolute favorite movie :D

33. miss_bossy18

definitely a good choice!

34. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Yaaah. :) So excited for this movie to come out.

Brandy

35. double-or-nothing

So so soooooooo excited that Woody was cast as Haymitch. I think he will totally kick a$$ in the role! *is so psyched for this movie!!!!*