How would you handle this...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Lougood, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Me again. :)

So at the end of last year there was an error on one of my girls' report cards. She tested at the highest DRA level she could for first grade (end of second grade) at the mid year testing. So on her DRA level she had that number, but her instructional level was one higher (beginning of third grade). So at the end of the year in her instructional level box she went down from beginning of third grade back to end of second grade. I was concerned b/c I never heard from the teacher saying there was a problem so I contacted her (last day of school). She saw the problem and said it should have read middle of third grade for instructional level. She also said she fixed the problem and put an updated copy in her file.

Fast forward to this year and she comes home telling me her teacher did the DRA and the test given (I know the books as I used to teach) was an end of second grade book. Curious, I requested a copy of her report card before I go and ask the teacher why she chose that level and sure enough, the error is still there on her report card. So, the teacher lied to me and now I have to figure out how to fix this. I don't want to be THAT parent as it's only the third week of school, but I need to say something. Who do I contact first? First grade teacher or current teacher?

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would contact both the current teacher and last years teacher. Do you have anything in writing from last year?

3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Contact the teacher who said she would have the report changed. Hopefully it was an oversight and she will say that she'll fix it. Then contact the current teacher and tell her that the other teacher said she is fixing the problem.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't even bother with changing it. I would speak to the current teacher, tell her what happened and ask for a re-test. It could be that she slipped a bit over the summer, or that in the spring she was tested with fiction, and more recently with non-fiction. Reading levels of non-fiction are always lower than fiction. It could also be that when she is tested again, she jumps up a bit. Marcus decided to read over the summer before 2nd grade, and when he started 2nd grade, he had jumped about 3 levels over the summer. Her reading level at the end of first grade doesn't mean anything in the long run, and it really isn't worth the hassle of having it changed. Her current level is what is important.

1 person likes this.
  5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I agree. Her current teacher should quickly realize the level she is at. Also the levels are snapshots and are likely to jump around a little.

Our school will not test more than one yr higher than grade level. So my girls report cards state that-- though both teachers stated that they were reading higher.

In the big picture it it not a a huge deal as long as she is being instructed at her level now.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Good point! Our school caps the reading level that is allowed to go on the final report card, and that may be what is reflected. Even throughout the year, they are capped per grade as to how high they can test. One of the reasons for this is that higher reading level material is many times not age appropriate for young readers, so while a 1st grader may be able to read at a 3rd grade level, the materials available are not appropriate for a 1st grader to read. Maybe this will explain it a bit better. The Hunger Games is written on a Middle school level. My boys were reading at that level at the end of 3rd grade and into 4th grade. So, ability wise they could read The Hunger Games, but, I wouldn't allow it due to the content, because it isn't written for 4th graders. So that could explain the report card.

7. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I contacted the current teacher. She had already retested her. Oops. She quickly realized she was not that level and retested her a couple levels higher. I don't think they go higher than end of third grade. They do cap the DRA testing, as well as instructional level. 28 is the highest for DRA and 34 was the highest for instructional at the end of first, and that's what her report card should have reflected. I actually ran into the old teacher when I went to lunch yesterday and she was very apologetic. She said she made a hand written note on her report card in her file, but her current teacher was looking at the computer copy. All good.