How warm do you keep your home?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinsnowwhat, Nov 2, 2008.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

We have been keeping it around 74 degrees. Now that they are getting some meat on thier bones, I am wondering if I can drop it a degree or 2. They both fit well in the sleep sacks now so they are in those and pjs. We were putting blankets on them but now that they are getting a bit more active I want to stop doing that. They sleep better when they are warm and cozy. It has cooled down here (Washington) especially at night. I am terrified to see our heating bill :eek: but want them to be comfy cozy.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would think with sleep sacks, etc. you should be able to drop it a couple of degrees. I have read that the temp should be between 68-70 degrees in their room. That seems really chilly to me, but I also live in FL where we dont have the heat running consistently just yet. But usually I keep it at 72 and I would love to drop it a bit, but they dont keep blankets on them.

3. hersheytwins

hersheytwins Well-Known Member

We keep ours at 68 degrees, DH would love to have it lower but I keep changing the program to be at 68. They seem fine, I have them sleeping in blanket sleepers.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

good Lord I'd die if my house was 74! I've never kept my house over 68 and their bedroom is usually around 67 or so because I keep the door closed...blanket sleepers in the winter and cotton PJ's in the summer...I have really really warm kids though (much like their mother) so the cooler temp doesn't bother them...

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Nov 3 2008, 05:57 AM) [snapback]1053012[/snapback]
    I would think with sleep sacks, etc. you should be able to drop it a couple of degrees. I have read that the temp should be between 68-70 degrees in their room.

This sounds right to me too :good:.

6. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

about 70ish here

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We haven't turned the heater on yet - and the coolest it's been in the morning so far that I've seen in here is 71. Actually I still have the AC on, set at 78, because during the day it gets really hot!

I think once we start using the heater we'll set it at 72.

8. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Last January - when the babies were born - we kept it at 72 for the rest of the winter. This year we'll put it back down to our regular 66 during the day and 64 at night. We just bundle the kids in fleece jams, onesies and sleep sacks when it gets really cold. Our ped said he wouldn't do anything over 68 once babies are around 1-year-old.

We all get overheated in houses where the thermostat is set at 68 or higher - it is funny how your body adjusts! :)

9. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

65 in the day, at night only the kids rooms are heated.

10. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

We live in VT and keep our heat around 74. Funny how you get used to a temperature. We get chilly below that. I know I grew up with heat more like 65-68. I worry that the babies are too hot. I read around 68 is the right temp for them.

Most of those sleep sacks are rated for temps up to 68. Sounds like they could be a little over bundled. We just use warm PJs and a light swaddle blanket. I want to stop swaddling them and was trying to figure out what to do. I dont want them to be too warm in a sleep sack rated for room temps of 68.

11. goldylocks

goldylocks Well-Known Member

We keep ours at 68.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We keep our heat at 68. We have fleece sleep sacks for the winter time, so that should help to keep them warm. I think you would be okay to drop a couple of degrees.

13. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

68 degrees here.

14. GenandThadsMom

GenandThadsMom Well-Known Member

During the day the heat is about 70 degrees, at night the babies room is 65, they have on fleece sleepers and a swaddling blanket. If it is even a degree higher DD get completely sweaty, sometimes she is sweaty even at 65.

15. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

68 during the day and 66 at night. I can't sleep if it is too warm. We used to have it at 64 at night and 66 during the day. I figured I'd turn it up for the girls. I couldn't imagine having it at 74. We live in a cooler climate, so 68 or 70 feels nice and toasty to me.

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

68-69 all the time here, well, trying to, it usually varies between 67 and 71.

17. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

The house stays between 68-70. Sometimes the nursery drops to 66. I only have them in fleece footed jammies- but they seem ok. Sometimes when they get up their hands are cold- but even with sleep sacks their hands wouldn't be covered. I worry if the temp is over 72- I don't want them overheated at night.

18. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

65 during the day (and my big ones still choose to horse around in partial nudity) and 60-62 at night. The girls were born last Christmas, so last winter the heat was closer to 70. The babies still sleep with me, and my big kids share a bed most nights, so I'm not worried about anyone getting too cold at night.

19. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I haven't turned our heat on yet, which is just crazy since it is already November, but it has been very warm. Last year when I brought the babies home in January I set it at 70. This winter it will be at 68 during the day and 65 at night. The babies sleep in fleece or blanket footed PJ's (with onesies if it seems real cold). Last year I put them in onesies, footed pj's and swaddled them.

20. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

With babies, we tend to keep it between 66-68 degrees all day. Right now, we're at 65 and we'll bring it up a tad when the new baby comes. Our heating bills are really high at 68 degrees, I can only imagine 74. :eek:

21. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

68 at night...they either wear fleece sleepers and a cotton swaddle me blanket or cotton sleepers, cotton swaddle me blanket and then we tuck another blanket around them. We keep it at about 71 during the day.

22. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

68 at night, 70-72 during they day.

23. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We keep things around 68ish during the winter here. With the exception of last winter when the babies were really small and I was very anemic and cold all the time.

I do keep things warmer in the summer, just save money, but heat on 74 would be too warm for me.

ETA: And the babies wear footed fleece sleepers now that it's cooling off at night. I do have a blanket in with each of them. And sometimes they even stay under it!

24. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. Everyone who gets to experience seasons should have to post pics so those of us who live in warmer climates can enjoy them too! We are still running the A/C constantly and will be for a while. Last year we wore shorts on Christmas Day...

25. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

During the day we keep it at 74 but at night we like it cold so we cansnuggle up under the covers so I turn it down to 69