How to reduce swelling in legs?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by leiadawn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. leiadawn

leiadawn Member

I'm 30 weeks along with twins. My ankles and feet have started swelling every day. I'm trying to keep an eye on what I'm eating to make sure that I'm staying away from high sodium food and drink. I put my feet up in the evening and spend about 12 hours at night in bed. My OB said that swelling is common with twins. I've been checked for preeclampsia and that's not it. Just lots of swelling.

Even when not pregnant, I have to be careful of the amount of salt I consume or my feet and ankles will swell. I had this problem when I was pregnant with my daughter, so I know that I have to keep the swelling down or it gets out of control.

Does anyone have any ideas for keeping the swelling/water retention down? I know that diuretics are dangerous in pregnancy. I'm trying to find natural solutions.

Thanks!

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Sorry you are so uncomfortable. :hug: My Dr always suggested I drink plenty of fluids, and keep my feet up. I would keep a close eye on it though, and if it is swelling up really bad and really fast, you definitely want to call your Dr. Good Luck!

3. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

Compression stockings. I just started wearing them this week and they've made a huge difference!

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

My mom had this problem out of the blue over the holidays this year. The only thing that worked for her was to get off her feet and elevate them almost over her head...she would lie back on the couch and put them on the back of the couch. Also, she would elevate them at night too. Even lying on her side she would put a pillow under her legs to keep them raised.

5. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

I second the compression stocking idea. I've started wearing them and they have made a WORLD of difference. I was very resistant to the idea (seemed like an old lady thing to wear!) but they really make my legs feel good and keep the swelling at bay. I got a thigh-high pair to wear under pants and skirts so I'm not pulling them up and down all day with my many trips to the bathroom! :)

6. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Me too on compression socks! They were a livesaver for me, absolutely essential. Get some as soon as you can! FWIW - depending on my mood I either called these my old lady socks or jet pilot socks. All those G forces require a special outfit!

Good luck!

7. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Also try eating more banannas. The potassium has a natural chemical reaction with the sodium in foods that can help your body process the fluid.

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I had it very badly, to the extent I had leg u/s done to check for blood clots at 36 and 37 weeks. All came back negative. I put my legs up quite a bit, but it was painful. I did the compression socks but in order to get the best results you need to have them measured. Mine didn't make a lot of difference. The major difference came when I delivered 15 1/2 lbs of twin ... it was gone in 48 hours!