How to Properly Measure Your Baby Bump?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by msterling, Aug 29, 2012.

1. msterling

msterling Active Member

Can you tell me exactly how to measure my tummy? I've been keeping a log but lately I feel I'm not growing and wonder if I am measuring right? I take the measuring tape about an inch below my belly button and measure around my back. Any tips?? Am I doing it right? Thanks!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Usually when measuring your belly to check growth you check your fundal height. You check this by laying flat on your back & measuring straight up the middle of your belly from the top of your pubic bone to the fundus (top of your uterus). It's a fairly subjective measurement so ideally should be done by the same person each time. While it might be fun to know the size/height of your uterus, this measurement isn't accurate or useful to know in multiples pregnancies the way it is with singleton pregnancies.

All that being said, if you're concerned, call your care provider & let them know what's going on.

3. msterling

msterling Active Member

Thanks! When I search on youttube vlogs, I see women measuring their baby bemp from right below the belly button and around their waist. Literally all of the vlogs I've watched have done it this way so why do I not see anyone doing it with the way you mentioned? Is there a chart out there on what you should be measuring at at each week and should you take it in cm or in? I read somewhere that whatever your week is that typically is your measurement in cm (give or take a cm). And lastly, I read how people can feel their uterus for this measurement but I honestly have no idea where it is or what I am feeling for. LOL

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I don't know the answers to the stats you're looking for, but I'll tell you this- you won't match up with the charts!! :D I measured 39 weeks when I was 30.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Measuring around your belly would be interesting info but not particularly accurate to anything, other than tracking the changes in your own body. The way I mentioned is how care providers track & check your fundal height. It's a way to keep an eye on baby's growth throughout a singleton pregnancy. It is not accurate when you are pregnant with multiples. With a singleton pregnancy, after 20 weeks, your fundal height usually equals 1 cm for each week of pregnancy, give or take a bit. But as I said this is not true for multiples pregnancies.

Finding the top of your uterus is tricky & also why measuring fundal height is subjective and why different people will get different measurements. Next time you're at your doc's, have them show you where they feel it so you can tell what you're looking for. HTH.

2 people like this.
  6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I second Rachel - I worked in OB for the summer as a student nurse extern, and all the docs/midwives measure from your pubic bone to the top of your belly - going around your belly is for fun and baby shower games, but is not the way your provider measures.