How to manage daytime sleeps @ 2-3 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amycplus, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

My boys are 11 weeks (9 from due date) and really having trouble going to sleep and staying asleep during the day. They need a lot of help to settle and then wake up quickly after going down needing further resettling. We now have a nighttime go to sleep routine but even that is difficult because they cry and need to be settled before going down too. I am a bit at my wits end about the daytime, though, because either I am alone with them and there is only so much I can do or I have a friend or family member come who all have their own way of doing things and that's not necessarily better. I would really appreciate suggestions on how to get two tired babies down successfully by one person. Also, how did you manage this period between snoozy newborns and structured naps (without losing sanity, if possible)?

Thanks,

Amy

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We napped them in the stroller a lot. No, it doesn't help build a good routine, but it can be done by one person (who is getting exercise and fresh air at the same time!) and they did sleep. We only did it on weekends -- they were in daycare M-F, where they barely napped at all :rolleyes: -- but we did it nearly every Sat/Sun until they were 6 months old. At that point, they were more able to take structured naps (plus it was summer and it just got too hot for all that strollering).

If that's not an option, do they have bouncy seats and/or swings? Ours always slept much better in those than in their cribs. I also remember a period around 2-3 months when one of mine would only nap if someone was holding her -- not much help, I know, but commiseration, at least. Good for you for realizing that it does get better!

3. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

I put the most difficult one in a single stroller (inside the house) and the other in the swing and then when she started fussing after a short nap, quickly pushed the stroller again until she fell asleep again.. I found this helped in her learning back to sleep on her own. Once she started sleeping better, I moved her to her crib and worked on the other in a separate room in the PNP by patting her every time she woke. But there were times, when I just cuddled them both lying on a bed. They were really hard times, but if you can teach them to goto sleep awake but drowsy you will save so much work later when they move to structured naps. And just remember to keep theiir awake times 1-1.5 hours and maybe move their bedtimes early 6ish if possible. GL!

4. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

My girls are 13 weeks now (9 adjusted) and I still have them napping in their swings. I didn't get my older girl to go down for a nap on her own till a couple of weeks ago, so I really don't have any tips for starting a good routine there. But what I plan to do is use the swings for as long as they are working and then do a modified version of their night time routine (haha haven't started that either, but it's on my to do list). With my older girl, one of the things we do every night is straighten the stuff in her crib, she has two stuffed animals and a couple of books, her baby and a sippy cup. So for her nap we straighten all that up and then I give her kisses and put her in. So far it's working. I don't know how this will help with the twins now, our babes are too little to have stuff in their cribs, but it might give you an idea for a 'modified' routine. My motto is still 'whatever works' lol.