how to install booster seats without LATCH system

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lv2bmommy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. lv2bmommy

lv2bmommy Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask other moms how they put in booster seats for older vans that don't have latch systems. Rachel has a booster seat with a 5 pt harnest, but has outgrown that part of it and we will soon start using just a seat belt for it. But how do you safely use that type of seat without the Latch system? Does the lapbelt take the place of it? Just wanted some advice. We are hoping to buy a new van within the year, but until then, we need some help. [​IMG] Thanks so much!!

Kim

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Kim, check the instruction book for the booster. It should have instructions on how to install on cars without LATCH. If you no longer have the book, you can often download it at the manufacturer's website.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think once you use the seat with the car seat belt, that is all that is holding the seat in place. I know that is how my friends 4 year old seat is. I was suprised when I saw that as she was showing off her new van.

4. oandgvh

oandgvh Well-Known Member

Yup, the seat belt over the child is all that holds it in! Have fun when you get a new van!

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Once you are using the regular seat belt, that is all you need. I love that feature simply because many times we switch car seats around for car pools or to use the other car, and it is soooo easy to switch them around!

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Just the seat belt, something to think about though is that if you drive the vehicle when the children are not in the car you should still buckle the seats in.

7. Elizabeth H

Elizabeth H Well-Known Member

Another thing and I know I'm butting in here but check with your state's regulations on using booster seats. I noticed your daughter you are wanting to use the seat belt because she has outgrown her harness is only 2 years and 7 months. My girls outgrew their harness too at a young age on their convertible car seats but according to our law in our state they have to be 4 years and 40 lbs to be in a booster with a regular seat belt. I ended up buying new seats just to keep them harnessed longer.

Elizabeth

8. lv2bmommy

lv2bmommy Well-Known Member

We have a car seat that is supposed to go to 100 lbs (of course using the seat belt), but we have pulled and pulled the harnests out as far as we can make them go and it is just too short in her crotch. I would like to keep her harnested, but I don't want her crying from being uncomfortable. I think that NC does say 40lb or 4 years old. I don't know if it is an "and/or" law. I know that she will be WELL over 40 lb before she is 4 years old. She is about 35 1/2 or so now and she is about 37".
    Thanks so much for all the advice. I hope I can work it all out!! [​IMG]

Kim

9. shelbyolivia

shelbyolivia Well-Known Member

There was a recent post regarding booster seats & the use of 5 point harness. ***Could Mods Please Find for me?**** The post gives a link & showed the effects of a crash with just a seat belt booster. They make boosters for up to 100lbs, I read, which have a 5 point harness. This informative video shows that children just can't handle the inpact without 5 point harness. It also shows children that are about 5 or 6 years old in rear facing car seats & harness booster seats. Please reconsider using just seat belt.

10. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Hi! If you call your local police department, they should have a police officer that has been trained on how to install car and booster seats properliy. If they don't have someone in their department, they should be able to direct you to a police department close by or the state police that can help you. If you make an appointment with thme, they can install the seats for you and show you how to do it yourself. They say that a car/ booster seat is ineffective if it's not installed corectly. Good luck!