How to bathe babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MuchFaith22, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MuchFaith22

MuchFaith22 Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 5 months old...and I need to do something about their baths! I posted about this before.... Rolling Eyes

But they do not sit on their own, and can't really sit well even with a hand on them yet...so I can't really do their baths in the sink. Right now I use a little sling-only seat for the tub, but they are growing out of that! This is the one we have http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3265055. I'd really rather not have to go buy a baby bathtub or something...they would not use it much longer.

So any suggestions on how to do their baths??? I don't know what to do.

2. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

Mine are 5 months, and can't sit on their own at all, but the tub that we use has a ledge for them to sit on that is tilted back so for the most part they stay put. They stay there well enough for me to be able to wash them with ease. I know you don't want to buy anything, but this is what we use, and are planning on using it for several more months.

Here is what I have:
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265151

Something like this would work too
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403667

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions...

3. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I always just put a little water in the tub and lay a towel down in there and put them on that. My mom always said the towel was silly, but the bottom of our tub is cold, so I just did it anyway. The tub is nice because they can lay down and kick and splash to their little hearts content!

4. MuchFaith22

MuchFaith22 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(alliandre @ Jan 14 2009, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1146771[/snapback]
    I always just put a little water in the tub and lay a towel down in there and put them on that. My mom always said the towel was silly, but the bottom of our tub is cold, so I just did it anyway. The tub is nice because they can lay down and kick and splash to their little hearts content!

I've thought of doing this, but just wasn't sure. How much water do you put in there...is it enough to keep them warm?? Mine seem to get pretty cold at baths, and cry...I guess we could turn the heat up. :huh:

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

From 2 months on, we did baths in the big bathtub. I would put about 2-3 inches of water in the tub, put a hand towel in the tub and then lay the baby down in there.
    Attached is my 4 month old in the bathtub. I would bathe one at a time at this age. HTH! Now at 8 months I start him out this way but at the end will sit him up since he sits very well now.
    eta: Shut the doors of the bathroom and the heat shoudl be just fine.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We used the Primo Eurobath until last week. I love it, it's big enough until 10 months, and once lying down they really can't move much. They loved it, and it's pretty cheap. I was never comfortable putting them lying down in the big tub, they move too much and I could just see them turning their head to turn over and drowning or something. Now that they both crawl we transitioned to the big tub.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

8. Sarah74

Sarah74 Well-Known Member

My twins bathe with me. I'll run the water and get me and one of them naked and we'll get in together. Once the first baby is clean my SO will strip the other and we'll trade babies. I'll clean the 2nd baby while he is dressing the first. He'll then put the first down and come get the second from me. When he's not home, my two girls will sit on the floor in the bathroom and I'll hand a baby off to them to hold. I have also set Bumbos on the floor next to the tub to put babies in while I switch them back and forth from the tub. They like bathing with me and I feel like I can get them much cleaner.

9. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

10. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this thing is called but it has a ring with a seat in it and it attaches to the side of the tub. It's made by Safety 1st. My girls are 6 months old and don't sit unsupported yet so this thing is perfect for us. I know we'll use it a while yet because my son used it until he was almost a year old.

You can see it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Tubside-B...t/dp/B0000D9SR8

11. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

I used the towel in the big tub also, I stopped using a baby tub when they turned around 3 months. They loved the big tub because they could look around at everything and have plenty of room.

12. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bebedoc @ Jan 14 2009, 04:56 PM) [snapback]1147461[/snapback]
    I have no idea what this thing is called but it has a ring with a seat in it and it attaches to the side of the tub. It's made by Safety 1st. My girls are 6 months old and don't sit unsupported yet so this thing is perfect for us. I know we'll use it a while yet because my son used it until he was almost a year old.

You can see it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Tubside-B...t/dp/B0000D9SR8

My boys used that until they were 2

13. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member