How often do you change wet diapers?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BounceTigger, Jan 4, 2007.

1. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

At the daycare center where I work, we are legally mandated to change diapers every two hours. I just got used to that and kept that up with the twins. Now its part of their routine, after meals and naps etc.
    But I'm at a loss when I'm watching other kids, especially infants. I feel changing them every two hours is a waste of time and diapers, but I also feel that since I don't have a routine, I alnost forget!

2. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

At the daycare center where I work, we are legally mandated to change diapers every two hours. I just got used to that and kept that up with the twins. Now its part of their routine, after meals and naps etc.
    But I'm at a loss when I'm watching other kids, especially infants. I feel changing them every two hours is a waste of time and diapers, but I also feel that since I don't have a routine, I alnost forget!

3. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

I change them before each nap and, of course, bedtime if they are just wet.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I change them before a nap and possibly after, depending on how long they've slept. I don't let them go more than 3 hours during the day though. Of course I will change a messy diaper right away. And always a fresh diaper before bedtime. It probably equals out to every 2.5 hours or so.

5. annabell

annabell Well-Known Member

We got into the habit of changing before feeds. That was the way the NICU always did it. My kids are eating every three hours. Ofcourse, now with the solid foods we are having many more messy diapers and those are changed right away.

6. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

Usually around my house it is every 3 hours. If they are messy it is right away!

7. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

Minimum of after every feeding, which is about every three. If they are fussy and I can't figure out why, I'll try that too though it rarely works. More often if they have a diaper rash, though we haven't had to really deal with that much.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

When they were really little, we changed before feeds. After about 4 months, we changed after each feed (or meal, when they were on solids). At some point (not sure when -- maybe around a year), we switched to just: wakeup, after morning nap, after lunch, after afternoon nap, and bedtime, plus whenever they poop (if it isn't just before a regular diaper change anyway).

9. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I always change them before feeds and then at other times when I feel a wet or smell a stinky...

10. bex

bex Well-Known Member

We're using cloth diapers so I try to change them every two hours - longer than that and we start risking leaks onto their clothing. I won't wake a sleeping baby to change him though - I'd rather have a long nap & then change a wet outfit than have a dry, cranky baby! I usually change them after feedings, because half the time they end up pooping while they eat (breastmilk = laxative!). We use disposibles for nighttime, though, and we only change them at night if they poop.

11. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I do it before every feeding, and when I smell a poopy one in between. It works out fine.

12. bren1130

bren1130 Well-Known Member

I change before every feeding 2.5-3 hours(or if ready to explode=leaking) and before going down for the night. If messy, it'll get changed immediately.

13. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

I basically change them everytime I feed them a bottle. So about every 3-4 hours. I also change them right before bed and if they poop then obviously I change them because it stinks too bad to let them sit in it! [​IMG]

14. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

I change them before every feeding (about every 3 hours) and of course anytime they have a poopy diaper.

15. daniellecic

daniellecic Well-Known Member

i just watched a show on dhc about a lady with id quads.. anyway. she said that she goes through 10-15 diapers a day.. [​IMG] i only have 2 in diapers and i go through at least 10 a day. if they are wet, i change them..if they stink, i change them.