How often do you change diapers?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Gimena, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

My babies eat during 3 hours during the day... I got used to changing diapers before every feed...sometimes
    it gives me the extra time while the bottles are being warmed up...but as the diapers get
    bigger, sometimes there is hardly anything wet after one feeding....

they are on #3 right now...

is it really necessary to change every 3 hours during the day... I don't want to create any diaper rash...
    fortunately, except when there was a poopy problem they have never had diaper rashes...

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At that age we were still changing every 3-4 hours (except when poppy and then it was change them immediately). I'd rather use more diapers than have a rash. Maybe this is wasteful. Even now we change them every 4 hours.

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I change them with the diaper is at least a little squishy. If you can barely tell they've peed, then I leave the diaper on. (Obviously for poopy ones they get changed immediately.)

4. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I always change diapers every two hours, unless I notice they need a change sooner. I've noticed that it's the BMs which cause diaper rash for A&N. So, the sooner they are changed the better. HTH :) .

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i check/change diapers every 2 hours or so, usually just before naps & then just after nursing (which is right after they wake up). if the diaper's completely dry & clean, i don't change it.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We change them 5 times a day or so (more if we smell poop of course). Usually when they wake up, before the first nap, before lunch, after the second nap, and before bed. So I guess every 3-4 hours.

7. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I think at that age I changed them maybe 4-5 times a day. Basically, after they ate or when I smelled poop. About the same goes now too.

8. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

seems like all i do is change diapers..
    wake up, before 1st nap, before 2nd nap, after poop, after poop, after bath... about 6x per day for each...
    i always like a fresh diaper BEFORE nap, I don't want anyone waking up early because of a wet diaper :)

9. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I usually change them every 2-3 hrs. Before feedings and I always 'look' before naps [just in case there is poop]. Mine have never cried when they pooped so I always have to check for it.

10. spiveyplustwins

spiveyplustwins Well-Known Member

wow - i must be a super bad mom! I change before naps and bed time. So I change before the 10:00 Nap, 2:00 Nap and bedtime. If they are really poopy or leaking then I change them.

Maybe i should change more often - we dont have a rash problem though.

hmmm.

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(spiveyplustwins @ Feb 5 2009, 11:28 PM) [snapback]1178236[/snapback]
    wow - i must be a super bad mom! I change before naps and bed time. So I change before the 10:00 Nap, 2:00 Nap and bedtime. If they are really poopy or leaking then I change them.

Maybe i should change more often - we dont have a rash problem though.

hmmm.

i used to change their diapers a lot less frequently, but then we started have rash issues. nothing bad - they just seemed to have a constant redness to their little bums, so that's why i started changing more frequently.

i would say that if you aren't having any issues & your system's working for you, stick with it.

12. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

We change when they wake up in the morning, before the morning nap, before the afternoon nap and before bed. I always change at those times unless the diaper is totally dry and that almost never happens. My boys also HATE to be poopy so we change right after a poop. We also change if they seem to be uncomfortable or super wet. I would say they get a minimum of 5 diaper changes a day, usually 6, sometimes 7 or 8 depending on what they've eaten or if they are sick.

13. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Wow...I may be changing too much! I still change them first thing in the morning, before and after both long naps (they nap for 1 1/2 to 2 hours), before the short evening catnap i it happens, before bed, and whenever they seem uncomfortable or poopy in between...so usually 8-9 times a day! We use cloth and I usually go through at least 16 a day if not more. DH says I have them spoiled b/c they can't stand to be wet for a minute...except at night, luckily!