How often do you bathe your LOs

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnholman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

Just wondering how often you bathe your babies. I have been doing every other day and I am finding that I LOVE it. I am considering doing it everyday. Its the only time I get one-on-one time with them. I really enjoy the whole process, preparing the bath, washing them, moisterizing them.

But what about their skin? Can it handle it like ours?

Tell me why I should not bathe them everyday!

Jenn

2. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

It is up to you how oftn you bath them. If their skin is starting to get dry and flaky then you might want to go back to every other day. I bath mine everyother day because my little guy has really sensitive skin and it works well for us. I used to bath my first son a few times a day every day in epsone salt because he was so coliky and his skin tolerated that fine. Go with whatever works best for you and your babes.

3. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I do every other day and it seems to work well for us. I think every day would be fine as long as they aren't getting really dry skin. You could probably skip the soap half of the time if you are bathing them every day.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

every other day!! my LO's love it. i cant wait for them to sit up in the tub together.

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I do it every night as part of their bedtime routine. They love it and it really calms them down in the evening.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always did every other day, but as long as their skin tolerates it well, everyday would be fine. If they start getting dry skin, I agree with Aimee, you could just leave off the soap on alternate days.

7. rmcobb12

rmcobb12 Well-Known Member

I do it every night and have since they were about 3 months old. I love that time with them!

8. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

We also do it every night and have ever since the umbilical cord came off. Its part of our nightly routine and they love it. We havent had any dry skin at all. We lotion them up then they BF and off to bed! They seem off if we have to skip a bath(like they missed something)

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Our twins are 3.5 months old, though they were 11 weeks premature, so developmentally I guess they are about 2 months old. And since they came home 8 weeks ago...we've only given them a bath once a week. It's just SUCH an ordeal! I can't imagine doing it every night. Plus the twin that is waiting to be bathed is usually fussy (because they are still in that "hold me!" phase when not sleeping) so it is a pretty stressful adventure for us. And while the twins don't seem to mind while they are in the warm water, I don't think they are too fond of getting pulled out of the water, dried off, and clothed. I would like to be able to get to a point where we could bath them every 3rd night, but I'm just not sure when that will be.

10. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

Right now we do every other night, but I am thinking I may change that to every night just maybe not with soap every night. They seem to sleep better and go to bed better when we do it at night. But I guess it just depends on you and your babies as to how often you do it. When they first came home we did it like every 3rd night.. so do as you and babies like

11. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

Usually every other night, but sometimes it goes three nights :pardon: ...I know that might be bad but we have 4 kids and sometimes it just doesn't happen!!!!!! When they were little I would sometimes give them a bath every night to get into a bedtime routine but I would use soap every other night.

shannon

12. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Everyday here..it's part of their night routine and I agree with PP that it helps calm them for the evening! Daddy is the one to give them baths because he comes home around that time, so he gets to spend that one on one with them which is great! I do the moisturizing and put on their jammies. Their skin never gets dry unless I forget to put lotion on them. We use the aveeno lavendar lotion and it really makes their skin silky soft.

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Couple times a week. Like the pp I have 4 kids and it's hard bathing everyone all the time. My 7 yr old has to shower every night because he's starting to sweat at school. My 3 yr old shower's or bath's every second night because she tends to get food in her hair at mealtime. So the babies usually bath every 3-4 nights. :babyflips:

14. waitingpaitently20

waitingpaitently20 Well-Known Member

I do mine every 3rd night and every night in between I sponge bathe their face, hands, feet and bottoms. If I bathe them more frequently their ezema gets really bad, but since I started this routine their skin has been perfect. Eventually once they start running around and getting really dirty I will do it every other night. Personally I think it would dry out their skin to do it every night, but if it doesnt bother your kids skin then go for it.

15. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

We do every night, both the girls and i love it! Unfortunately both my girls have developed baby excema but it is managed really well (touch wood) with a bath emoliient and moisturiser. Just try not to use products on them and moisturise if they have sensitive skin. Whether we liked it or not the girls get that messy through the day that they NEED nightly bath, i'm sure they are little boys in disguise :laughing:

16. lorileahb

lorileahb Well-Known Member

Our twins are almost 1 month old and each baby gets a bath 2 (maybe 3 times a week). Kendall likes it fine, while Ethan fusses the whole time which makes it quite the ordeal. Due to the fussing, I don't bath them on the same day. I think when they are both a little older (2-3 months) and they enjoy the water more, we'll go to nightly - we did that with our oldest son as part of his bedtime routine. He is now 3 and still loves it.

17. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

I got by with a bath every 2nd or 3rd night until my girls were 6 months old and started solids. Then they really needed a bath every evening! Up until then I really couldn't imagine where we would find the time in our day, but now I am faster and the girls really do love their bath. Occasionally, if we have been out late, we skip the bath and it doesn't seem to bother them at all (this is rare though, we don't get out much!)

18. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We bathed ours every evening as part of our evening routine. There were lots of times where I never used soap when they were teeny tiny. Now, we still bathe every night as part of the winding down process. But we have to use soap. :) We have never had an issue with dry skin.

19. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

I bathe them everyday and have done so with all my children. It is part of our bedtime routine and they love it, i also massage them afterwards with almond oil. They sleep very well at night too. If you feel like it then i'd say go for it![​IMG]

20. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

When daddy is home they get a bath every other night.. but when he is out on deployment its usually 2 baths a week. I get too busy when its just me to bath them as often. And my babies HATE baths.. :(

21. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I bathe mine every other day. I always have. If they are really filthy from eating (or a bad diaper) then I'll give them a quick bath but I've just stuck to every other day. I may change it to every day once they are a little older and it's not so much work. I LOVED bath time until the fatigue from being pregnant again hit. I am so exhausted these days that bath night wears me out completely. I'll probably start alternating their nights here soon to cut down on time bent over. I'm a wuss. LOL As for the skin I would say you be the judge. If they seem fine they probably are. :)

22. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

We bathe all three of our kiddos every other night.

23. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

Our LOs get a bath every second or third night. On the non-bath nights, we do a quickie swipe with a moist washcloth over the face/neck, hands/feet & bum after the evening bottle. We're thinking about implementing an actual bedtime routine which includes bathing every night since they enjoy it so much. I just need to find the time somehow.

24. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm impressed. When the girls were younger, I would say once, maybe twice a week. One of them had bad eczema, though. The dr. said once a week. It was such an ordeal to bathe them. They didn't like the bath at all. As long as their skin seems fine, I think every day is fine.

25. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

At that age I was doing it every other night. :good:

26. Dianasaurus

Dianasaurus Member

Has anyone managed to bath young babies at the same time? I was thinking about getting two bath sponges and putting them in together since they get hysterical while the other one is bathing, making for a not-so-peaceful bedtime ritual. But they love their baths and seem to sleep longer with them.