How much whole milk at 12 months?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by veggiehead, Oct 2, 2007.

1. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

Hi!

I am barging in a little early...but, I am ready to wean my babies off formula and I have no clue how much whole milk they need per day? Thanks so much!

2. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My pedi said 18-20 ounces. Most say 16 ounces. I give mine 3 sippies a day with 6 ounces in each....plus they get yogurt, cheese, etc.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were told no more than 14-16 oz. of milk a day.

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I think I am in the minority. My ped says to stay close to 24 ounces. When we had their one year, I told him we were down to two bottles. He said they should have 24. My dh asked 'for how long'. He said 'forever'! His point was the more milk te better!

5. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Mine also said 16 ounces a day. My girls eat some kind of cheese and yogurt almost everyday so I don't stress if they don't drink all 16 ounces. I used to freak out about it but you really do learn to just relax about it. I convinced myself that milk was what was keeping them alive but I finally got over that phase (guess parents go through phases too :D). I attempt to give them 8 oz in the am and 8 oz in the late afternoon. Sometimes they drink it sometimes just a few sips. They basically walk around with it and put it down where ever while they are playing and come back to it or I chase them around saying milk? milk? and then they take some more sips. GL

6. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Oct 2 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]433548[/snapback]
    I think I am in the minority. My ped says to stay close to 24 ounces. When we had their one year, I told him we were down to two bottles. He said they should have 24. My dh asked 'for how long'. He said 'forever'! His point was the more milk te better!

My pediatrician said the EXACT same thing!! That sounded like a lot so I asked again and he said no less than 20 oz (mine have always been between the 30th and 50th% for weight which could have something to do with it too). Mine get three sippies of 7-8oz of milk a day.

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My pedi said 16-20 ounces a day.

8. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

It's interesting how pediatricians have different ideas. Mine told me 24 ounces a day, but I've heard that others say no more than 16 ounces. See what your pediatrician recommends, but keep in mind the differences of opinion and see what works for your kids.

thea

9. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

my pedi said 16-24 oz. she also said though not to go overboard w/ the milk since they eat cheese and yogurt. milk is constipating too...i think my ds is getting bouts of it, so just watch what they get.

10. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

Varies from kid to kid and ped to ped. Ours were running closer to 24-32oz a day, and our ped. was fine with it. I would worry more about not getting enough (and subsequently showing signs of dehydration / lack of wet diapers, etc) than too much. If you're concerned about food vs milk, we usually offered milk first when they woke up, but then the rest of the day food was offered before milk.

Hope that helps!

--> Andy