How much weight did you lose immediately?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Anneelizz, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Anneelizz

Anneelizz Active Member

Hi Twin Mommy Friends,

I'm so tired of feeling huge, I was up forty pounds a couple of weeks ago but have been afraid to look at the scale! As I get closer to my due date I'm wondering how much I can expect to lose immediately after delivery. How much did you lose and how big were your kiddos? At what week did you give birth? I know I will leave the hospital looking at least six weeks pregnant, but I just need some assurance that some of this weight will be gone!

Thanks! Anne.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Im' definitely not the norm, but I had rather bad pre-eclampsia and severe swelling towards the end. . .but let me tell you about before.

I lost 30 pounds until I hit 24 weeks. At that point, I finally started putting on some of the lost weight and by 30 weeks I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight. In the 4 weeks following, I had gone up to about 14 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. In that almost week though I gained 20 pounds, an average of 4-5 pounds a day. (Pre-eclampsia water retention). Once delivered, I dropped down below my pre-pregnancy weight within a week, but not down the whole 30 pounds. In the few months after that, I lost the rest of the 30 pounds (but then gained it all back). I currently weigh about the same as my pre-pregnancy weight.

3. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

Ugh, I know how you feel. I gained a total of 45 lbs with my twins--one was 6 lbs, 2 ozs and the other was 5.5 lbs and I carried to 39 weeks. When I got home from the hospital 3 days later, I got on the scale to see a big weight loss of...15 lbs. Seriously?? Depressing. The harder part was that I honestly still look 6 months pregnant. It takes a while for the belly to go down. And I had some fluid retention and swelling in my feet that stayed.
    Now a week and a half later, I'm down about 22 lbs and the swelling is gone. My pregnant belly is still there but it does go down a little bit every day (nursing and pumping helps). I'm hoping that by one month in, I'll be back to my normal self somewhat although I know I'll have that linger 10 lbs.
    I will tell you--please be prepared for looking more than 6 weeks pregnant. Maybe you will flatten out faster than me but I definitely had to wear maternity clothes out of the hospital. I still can't wear normal pants but hopefully some day soon!
    I hope that helps...

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I gained 50 lbs with my two and had them at 39 weeks. DS was 8lbs and DD was 6 lbs 4oz. By the time I got home I was down 25 lbs and by three weeks post c/s I was down the full 50 lbs. :good:

I know it's so hard to feel huge and uncomfortable. :hug: You can do it momma. :hug:

5. Anneelizz

Anneelizz Active Member

Oops, Six weeks! I meant six months! Thanks for all your replies, I am feeling a little more hopeful!

6. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I was shocked to learn at my follow-up appointment after delivery that I was 5 pounds below what I was at my appointment pre-pregnancy. I gained about 35 pounds (not counting what I put on while I had preeclampsia because I wasn't told). I still definitely don't look five pounds lighter than I did pre-pregnancy but the scale says it is so!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say right after birth, I probably dropped 15-20 pounds...lost the last 10 during 8 weeks postpartum. Now I am trying to lose the extra weight I had before pregnancy!

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I gained 42 pounds when PG. After 2 weeks post-partum, I had lost 20 of those, gained 10 back over the next month or two. Then fought a battle to drop the 32 pounds. I think that 15 weeks of bedrest really messed with my metabolism, but once I got back to healthy eating and regular exercise I got back down to my pre-preg weight and have stayed there.

9. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you lose immediately- nothing feels better than having those babies out of your belly!!! For me, it was so nice to not feel so "full." I was in maternity clothes for a little while after their birth and I'll tell you maternity clothes don't look so cute when your belly is not all firm with babies... :) Good luck!!!

10. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36.6 weeks with 6.10 and 6.11 boys, and gained 19 lbs during my pregnancy. I lost it all plus 10 more at the two week mark. However I am just now noticing that the elasticity is coming back to my twin-skin belly.

11. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I gained a total of 30lbs and carried the twins to just shy of 39 weeks. They were 6.8lbs and 5.14lbs and I lost 35lbs at 3 weeks PP. Its hard feeling so big for so long but don't you worry, it will all be back sooner than you know it!!!

12. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I gained 45 pounds

I lost 20 pounds in the first 24 hours after having the babies. (The nurse said she had never had anyone ask for a scale before. :laughing:)
    I gave birth at 36W, 3rd pregnancy. My body recovered more quickly the first pregnancy.

I had lost almost all the weight by my 6 week check up.

13. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You will lose it!! no worries!!

I gained 50lbs with the twins-they were born at 36weeks weighing 4&5lbs give or take a few onunces.
    I think I lost about 15lbs immediately and the rest came off pretty quickly.
    Now if that darn twin skin would have disappeared too!! :girl_devil:

14. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

You'll loose baby weightx2 once they are born. I only gained 20lbs with the boys, so I was back to PP weight the day they were born. They are now almost 5 months old and I am almost 30lbs lighter then I was before I got pregnant. Breastfeeding and the fact I don't stop all day helped.

15. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I carried to 38+5 and gained 55 (gulp) pounds. The babies were 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 5 lbs. 0 oz. I was told to eat as much as possible because I was considered underweight. And I ate TONS of ice cream. I'm not sure how much I lost immediately - I had pretty significant swelling that took several weeks to go down. I do not miss my cankles. My OB commented that I probably had 10 lbs. of water weight in my legs. Lovely. Anyway, I never actually got on a scale until three months post partum and I had lost 47 lbs. I did not nurse and did not exercise until the babies were three months old (when I could take them to the gym - I would've liked to exercise sooner, but couldn't find time until I could utilize the nursery). They will be eight months tomorrow and I probably have 4 lbs. to go, but I can wear all my clothes so I'm not really stressing about it ... nothing that a good stomach flu won't take care of (just kidding).

I know you're miserable. I remember being at that point and could not imagine how my body could get any bigger. You will feel TONS better as soon as those babies are OUT!

16. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

This is really useful for me to find out, as I am trying to get myself mentally prepared to get REALLY big :). So far I gained 14 pounds already and I am 19 and a half weeks into it. I keep reading about this twin skin - I think I saw it on different threads also. What exactly is it? I imagine something related to the belly, but I am not sure. Does it ever go away or I'll be stuck with it for life? I am very excited about being pregnant with twins, obviously, and I wouldn't mind whatever it does to my body, but I am curious about it, since I don't really understand what it is.

17. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

Twin skin: The extra skin you'll have that lingers after the babies are out. Because our bellies get especially large it takes a little while for the skin to go back to normal, if it ever does. Think of people who were really overweight (biggest loser style) and lost a ton of weight, they have all that extra skin even when their bodies get smaller.

18. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I gained 45 pounds and lost 36 by my 4 week post-op appt. I still have twin skin :( Can't wait for my tummy tuck after this next baby! I'm already saving :)

19. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I'll tell you I was actually a little disappointed in my weight loss. I gained right at 30 lbs during my twin pregnancy and delivered last Tuesday. I weighed myself when I got home and had only lost 10 lbs. I thought surely more would have come off right away because I had a little over 9 lbs in baby alone inside me! I think it has to do with how much fluid I'm carrying now though. I'm still super swollen in my feet and legs. I weighed myself last night and 2 more lbs had slowly come off. So I think it's just a matter of time before the rest of the fluid retention goes down and I lose the rest. :)

20. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I lost 70 lbs 1 week post-partum...SERIOUSLY!

Thanks to the joys of pre-e, I gained 90lbs during my twin pregnancy. I gained about 45 lbs during the last 4 weeks or so of the pregnancy.

I delivered my boys at 37 weeks exactly and they weighed 6.15 and 7.1. 1 week post-partum I was down 70 lbs, the following week I lost another 10 lbs, and by the time 6 months rolled around I was 10lb BELOW my pre-pre weight.

So, I'm definitely NOT the norm, but that's my story.

21. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

Sorry to all you seriously lucky women who lost EVERYTHING in the 1st month - i would like to punch you in the face! just kidding well sort of.......i gained 55lbs boys born at 36 weeks, came home & looked at the scale & had lost 5 whopping pounds. I cried. I guess i was really swollen up or something. But over the next month I dropped 25lbs but still looked pregnant & now my babies are 3 months old & i only have 12 lbs left to pre pregnancy weight. So it isnt that bad - but completely different giving birth to 2 babies with my 1st son i gained 45 lbs & lost 35 by the time i came home from the hospital! good luck!

22. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I lost about 20lbs in a few hours (mine were 15 1/2 lbs combined). At a week postpartum I was about 6lbs over, then at 2 weeks, I was pre-pregnancy weight and 6 weeks postpartum I was 7 below. However, my belly never looked the same even though I would fit the same size. I ended up with an abdominal hernia and had the repaired and excess skin removed earlier this year. Still same size, but so much more space, which makes me wonder whether I should go down a size. It all fits so much better!

23. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

I gained just over 60lbs, boys were born 36w5d and both weighed 5lb14oz. I lost 25 lbs the first 2 days. And it wasn't until the boys turned 4 1/2 months that I was officially back down to my pre-preg size. I'm wearing the same jeans as before i got pregnant, now I just have this flappy chunk of skin that hangs over.. it's nasty... BUT I say it's a small price to pay for such beautiful little boys!

24. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I am told I am one of the lucky ones, who has dropped 30 of my 50+ pregnancy pounds in the 3+ weeks since my daughters were born premature at 34 weeks 4 days. BUT, here's a nutshell of my facts

I delivered by emergency c-section and believe I actually GAINED weight after the birth due to fluid retention - especially in my legs and feet. Supposedly this is a common side effect for c-sections. Don't be discouraged if this happens to you.

With my doctor's permission, I began using a belly band and that helped my uterus shrink and also helped get out the fluid in my belly. (I cared more about my proportions than my weight). Also, sleeping on my stomach also helped shrink things a bit.

HOWEVER, if you plan on breastfeeding, don't worry about the weight. It will come off! Plus, supposedly dieting will dry your milk supply.

25. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to tell you that with twins you do SWELL UP quiet a bit after you have them so dont plan on weighing yourself for the first month! I gained around 52lbs with the twins and delivered at 35 weeks 4 days two healthy boys weighing 5 lbs 9 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz. I lost about 20 lbs during the first month or two (really dont weigh yourself it will do you no good!!) and then just went on a healthy diet (keeping a watch on calories) and lost 40lbs more and am smaller than what I was prebaby! Chasing two little ones will consume you for the first year and you may want to just watch what you eat! I do agree that your body will be totally different so dont expect to have it jump to its prebaby shape. I didnt even breast feed and my boobs are not the same! These are my 3rd and 4th kids so obviously my body isnt in perfect shape to begin with but its worth having my wonderful children :) dont worry about the weight. if you are determined, you will do it!

26. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At my 6 week OB appointment I was down 40 pounds.

Too bad I'd gained about 80!

27. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

first off: LMAO!! too funny! and second: GREAT JOB on losing the weight! its hard! now that I lost mine (plus some) i am gaining it back!! uugghh its the stress of being soo busy with 4 kids and working that has be eating out alot!!!

28. HettyA

HettyA Well-Known Member

I'm dreading the weight loss not to even mention the Twin Skin! UGH.. I've been told that belly belts really help with both aspects though so we plan on getting one of those as soon as possible. Everyones assurance is great though. I have faith I can lose most the weight quickly. (already gained 40 lbs)

29. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I had my girls at 36 weeks 5 days, weighing 5.11 and 5.4 I gained 64 pounds with my twin pregnancy and lost 41 right away. I jsut went to my 6 week post partum check up and lost another 10 more pounds I have 14 more to go!!! Its not so much the weight that bothers me but the porportions of my body, I did not gain weight anywhere but my belly. My uterus is still distended and doc said to give it til end of may to go down that will be 8 weeks! Hopefully i will, my belly is still hard!!! I have always had a flat stomach and now I have this FLAP AND no time to work out, or I do not feel up to it yet! Everyone is differnt though, good luck with your pregnancy!!

30. angieb1979

angieb1979 Well-Known Member

I gained a whopping 65 lbs during pregnancy, babies were 4-10 and 5-3. I lost about 20lbs right away and still looked 6 mos pregnant for quite a while but I would say I lost about 5 lbs or so per week. My girls are almost 10 mos old and I'm lower than my pre-pregnancy weight by a few lbs. It'll come off, trust me!! Running after twins has it's advantages... :)