How much time do you allow for video games?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jxnsmama, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Speaking of video games, how much time do your kids spend on them each day?

I didn't want the PS2 or the Wii, so I'm a bit of a stickler about them. The boys have a timer. Hayden and Brady get 20 minutes, and Jackson gets 30 minutes -- after homework is done. If they have friends over, they play extra time (within reason -- I always figure their friends should be there to play and interact with them, not look at a video screen). And if they're playing a sports game, they keep playing until they get to a good stopping point.

So far, it's working well for us. The boys are very good at self-regulating TV time and will turn it off and go outside or play together, but not video games. If I let them, they'd play (and watch each other play) all day.

DH thinks I'm too strict about it, but I just really dislike the whole video game concept. Since it was his idea to buy both systems, he lets me determine the time the boys can play. So am I a weirdo? :wacko: :D

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I think your limits sound reasonable Amy. I admit I don't really set limits on my kids' time with their game systems, though I probably should. I'm more likely to let them play longer on weekends as well. The thing I like about the Wii is it can be more physical than some of the others, but there are also games that are pretty easy to play when just sitting. If Logan plays for too long, he can get pretty grouchy, so I should probably set firmer limits with him. Caitlin doesn't play much, but she does watch quite a bit of TV. I think if you're finding that your limits work for you and your family, that's what's important. Better too little video game play than too much!

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My boys had the same limits when they were as young as Amy's. I also don't really care for videogames, but they are a valuable currency to my boys, so I work with that.

We have a rewards system. (My boys are 16 and almost 14.)

The default limit is one hour on school nights (this is TV/gaming/computer; I treat them as one batch of electronic entertainment). Chores and homework must be done first, and bedtime is bedtime.

The higher their grades are, the more time they are allowed to have. If they maintain straight As, they can set their own limits. I have found this really inspires DS2 in particular to make a great effort to keep his grades as high as possible.

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I actually don't limit my boys any more. When they were young (under 10), I limited it to one hour or less on weekdays. But since then, I don't limit them at all. My boys all love to play outside, have outside activities/interests (track, cross country, music lessons), are honor students with excellent grades, love to go out with friends, attend youth group, etc., (plus Sean works 12-13 hours on weekends) so when they are home and not outside they have free reign on the Wii, xBox 360, and computer. The only thing we ask is that they share with their brothers and that there is no fighting or no one plays and of course that they maintain their high grades. They are fairly good about self-regulating and not overdoing it. Besides it's kind of hypocritical of me to limit their time when I'm on TS all the time. :blush: :lol: (BTW, my boys are 13 and 17.)

5. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

I haven't set limits..... yet! The game is new & they wanted to play it again today after pre k. They did play a little after lunch. Had quiet time. Went outside. Had dinner & then played some before their books. I guess it added up to about an hour. It will probably be less once the start real school.

6. Lisadgogo

Lisadgogo Well-Known Member

I think you plan is reasonable...

I am a big meanie... they can only play them with dad and on the weekends. I say they can do them when I am not around. I am not a fan of video games.

I have just recently allowed them to go on webkinz after homework as a reward. 15 minutes each.

We do not own a wii or those small hand held ones.

I am glad you watch the amount of time they play with their friends. That has been an issue with me. I do not want them playing video games (or just watching tv) at a playdate. There is so much more to do... So I have been the mean mom who has said no to a play date over a certain "video focused" kid's houses. I always host the kid here... and that way can avoid the whole tv/video thing. It is akward... I am very strict compared to others. I am not sure if I will always be that way but for now it works.

7. ehm

ehm Banned

We don't own any of the games but they play pretty much every day while I cook dinner (that is if Uncle is home). My brother lives upstairs so when I get home from work I start dinner and they run up to see if Uncle will play with them. When dinner is ready I tap the broom on the ceiling and they come running down. So I guess the amount of time depends on how long it takes me to cook dinner, anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on the meal.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Right now, I don't limit per se, since all they have is the computer, and as long as they get their work done, I don't have a problem. Also, Jon--the one who is more likely to spend more time on the computer--would rather ride his bike than anything else :)

The boys will get a Wii for their birthday, but camp starts about 3 days later, and they will be gone all day from 8 til 5--the bad part is our 45 min drive each way, so I probably won't worry about limiting it until school starts, and then I will see where we are. I do know they will have to finish homework before they can play.

9. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

My parents bought my boys game boys for Christmas this year (even though I asked them not to -- argh). I banished them to the car. They can play them in the car, but not in the house. So far, they pick them up about every other trip. I let them play computer games when I'm fixing dinner, or they can watch tv or a movie. I guess I'm the biggest meanie!!

I do like the idea of tying their game-playing time to their grades. I imagine that will be big incentive in the years to come. For now, they like the game boys but would prefer to be outside doing something else or playing with their toys in their room. And none of their friends have video games yet -- I'm sure that's a big part of our not having them. Anyway, it's good to read about how other people deal with it :)

10. jxnsmama

I do not want them playing video games (or just watching tv) at a playdate. There is so much more to do... So I have been the mean mom who has said no to a play date over a certain "video focused" kid's houses. I always host the kid here... and that way can avoid the whole tv/video thing. It is akward... I am very strict compared to others. I am not sure if I will always be that way but for now it works.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Ellen, I'm still fighting the Gameboy fight. DH's dad has wanted to buy Jackson a Gameboy since he was 5, and I have always said no. Jackson's best friend always brings his Gameboy when he comes to play. He had supper with us on Friday, and we asked him to stay for a movie (Evan Almighty). He played his Gameboy through the entire movie! I know eventually, Jackson will get to the point that he wants one so badly, he'll save his allowance for a long time (or gift cards from birthdays/Christmas) and buy one. So far, though, I've held it off.

I also don't really care for videogames, but they are a valuable currency to my boys, so I work with that.

That is the one benefit of video games. They are THE currency in this house as well.

11. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I've been at Disneyland before and seen kids playing a Gameboy or similar while waiting in line! It's ridiculous! Here you are at an amusement park and you can't even talk with friends and family while standing in line. I admit my kids probably play their game systems too much, but they're not walking around with them 24 hours a day.

12. jxnsmama

I've been at Disneyland before and seen kids playing a Gameboy or similar while waiting in line! It's ridiculous! Here you are at an amusement park and you can't even talk with friends and family while standing in line.

It's too bad kids don't know how to just wait and either converse with those around them or be quiet with their own thoughts for a few minutes. Gameboys at restaurants bother me, too. I remember seeing a dad out with his two preteen kids, and both kids had their noses buried in their Gameboys while waiting for the food to arrive. They weren't even looking at their dad, let alone talking to him. He looked completely lost. It was really sad.

13. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I HATE the handheld games in restaurants as well! I actually told DH this morning that since we will have money for extra holiday gifts (holiday club at the bank is a great thing) I will probably be getting the boys Gameboy DS's. Around here, they will be the last ones to get them--all their friends, and younger siblings (who are younger than my boys) already have them. My other reason is that their Leapsters are on their last legs, and I would rather upgrade then replace.

But, I only allow them to use them in the car--especially on long trips, at swimming while waiting for their turn--they swim in different classes. They really never even used the Leapsters that much in the house, so I don't think that will change.

14. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I also limit video games. We have a Nintendo Wii. My kids are not allowed to play it during school days except rare occassions when I might allow it. They do play it on the weekend, but not a whole lot. I have a seven year old who is absolutely relentless about asking to play it. It drives me absolutely nuts! He will get it taken away for the next weekend for asking to play it so much during the week.

I am not big on video games either. We have the Wii because we didn't have a video game system and I figured if we were going to have one I would like it be something where they could be active.

We also have Leapsters for the older kids. They stay in our kitchen cupboard and I only take them out for things like appointments where I am going to need the kids to sit quietly for long periods!

15. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Video game systems...the bain of my exsistence...UGH, I am not a huge fan AT ALL!! We have a N64, PlayStation, and an older XBOX, the boys do have VSmile handhelds and this past Xmas, my Dad bought them a DS (just ONE tho). When I pick them up after work, they usually have their homework done (THANKS Monster Club!!) and would rather go outside to play with their friends. Once it's time to come in, they do want to play one of the game systems and I usually let them b/c by that time, they'll get less than an hour on the game. I will allow them to take the DS when we're going someplace that they don't want to be and it'll either take a while to get there or they're going to have to wait a while once we get there. BUT, I don't allow it when we go out to eat and they have to share since they only have one. When we were living at my Dad's, they started arguing and fighting a lot when playing so we started a No Video Games During the School Week Rule. DH plays video games a lot too and they'll sit and watch him, although lately on some new game he got, they've been telling him how to get thru the game...HAHAHAHA