how much should i feed a 6.5 week old if she's sttn?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kittenkills, Mar 8, 2009.

1. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

she generally gets 2.5-3 oz ebm every two to three hours... should i increase her feed? how much more do i give? will she let me know or is this trial by error?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

hmmm...well, how many hours is she sleeping through at night? what's her weight like? has your pedi made any recommendations regarding waking her to eat?

i would say if her weight's good & your pedi hasn't recommended that you wake her to eat, then you're fine to just watch her cues & she'll let you know what she needs & when. GL!

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would go by her cues. If she starts draining the bottle at each feeding, then increase it by an ounce and go from there. How many hours at night is she going before she wakes for food? If the Ped isnt concerned about her weight to give you a reason to wake her every 3 hours at night?

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 9 2009, 08:45 AM) [snapback]1219879[/snapback]
    I would go by her cues. If she starts draining the bottle at each feeding, then increase it by an ounce and go from there. How many hours at night is she going before she wakes for food? If the Ped isnt concerned about her weight to give you a reason to wake her every 3 hours at night?

I agree with Rachel, I did not BF, but I would go by her cues. Good luck and enjoy the sleep!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call your pedi and ask that exact question. I don't want to give you advice about how much to feed b/c I think that varies from baby to baby.

6. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

she weighs over 9 lbs and slept for aprox. 6 hours. and so far the ped says she is in perfect health, and gaining weight like some sort of monster baby. thanks for the replies guys.

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I second the watch your baby for signs. Our started sttn by 9+ wks and it was heavenly! Enjoy your sleep. And with all the peds visits at the young ages, you'll be able to keep up with the weights to make sure she's still gaining.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kittenkills @ Mar 9 2009, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1221150[/snapback]
    she weighs over 9 lbs and slept for aprox. 6 hours. and so far the ped says she is in perfect health, and gaining weight like some sort of monster baby. thanks for the replies guys.

In that case go by her cues. She'll let you know when she is ready for more.