How much Pedialyte for 9-month-olds?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JaimielynnLake, Dec 6, 2008.

1. JaimielynnLake

JaimielynnLake Well-Known Member

B/B Twins, one is 24 pounds, one is 19...

Both sick, last week had stomach flu, now both have colds...Label on Pedialyte says "under one year, consult a doctor."

Kaiser's advice line is always so busy, and I don't have time to wait---any of you already know how much Pedialyte I can give to them (at a time)?

The label says 1-2 liters a day for kids one year and over, but what about my 9-month olds?

Hope you MOMs can help!

2. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

Well, my 5 month and 3 week olders are sick and last night the pediatrician told me to give them 1 ounce between each feeding. She told me that they may not nurse as well if they guzzle to much of it down.

I could not get them to take any because they wont take a bottle. They seem okay though. One has been having a stomach virus it seems. Elevated fever, looser stools, etc.. He just seems weak. I think it he getting better.

3. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Hope they are feeling better soon!!

Dianna

4. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

When my boys had Rotavirus around 7mos old, I, too, noticed the Pedialyte label. Our Pediatrician said it's there primarily so you talk to your doctor if your kiddo is sick. The big thing is, they want your child to consume SOME food or breast milk/formula after a few days...but I was told that my 7 mo olds could sustain on Pedialyte solely for days at a time (they would lose weight, but be fine). The recommendation is to use Pedialyte ONLY(no formula/breast milk) until they stop vomitting for 24 hrs, but I'm not sure on diarrhea. We just ran through a viral thing that left the boys with diarrhea for over a week, so I was giving Pedialyte randomly throughout the day vs giving it as a feeding like when they were younger. When they were younger, I only gave it when they weren't taking in ANY formula OR when they had extreme vomitting/diarrhea. I never gave it if their intake was down (from teething or a cold), so I'm not sure how I'd use it in those circumstances (ie how much to ensure they'd still take a feeding).

Having sick babies is awful...I hope your little ones feel better soon! The stomach flu hit our house last night, but thankfully my guys LOVE Pedialyte (they call it juice) so they're taking it down like champs over here! I haven't even offered them milk yet today.

Hang in there...tis the season for all sorts of icky bugs!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call your pedi and ask. My pedi has said that I could give as much to mine as they want - but that's b/c my girls are so picky that when I try to give them pedialyte they won't take it :rolleyes: