How much is okay? I need advice on all of this please.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof5, Mar 16, 2012.

1. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I still worry that I have low supply. I work 12 hour shifts. I pump as often as I can during my shift and I end up with a TOTAL (both breasts combined) of about 7 oz at the end of the shift. That doesn't seem like much. When I am home I nurse on demand. Whenever Emma wants to eat, she eats. I let her nurse as long as she wants at the first breast and then offer the other. I take 2 capsules of Fenugreek every 8 hours and I drink as much water as I can. Any other advice? Thanks! (BTW she is 11 weeks old).

2. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

If she is satisfied after you nurse her and goes two-three hours before eating again, I wouldn't worry. Some boobs just don't respond to pumping as well as others , so even if you are making enough milk, it just isn't getting pumped out.

3. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

What she said. With the twins I always had enough to satisfy them when I nursed but by 8 months I barely pumped a couple ounces a session. What kind of pump are you using? Things to check that may help boost your output: try bigger flanges, replace the little plastic valves, try relaxation techniques to let down better, try hands on pumping techniques (google Jane Morton), pump longer (I will get a second letdown at 20 minutes). Most women have to pump at least one more time than baby feeds to get enough milk, so don't feel bad. Pumping sucks!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, pumping has no bearing on what she's getting. I could only get a few ounces (8 tops) out of both breasts when I was EBFing my twins who were very satisfied after a feed.