How much for allowance for a 13 year old...

Discussion in 'General' started by lavollmer, Apr 20, 2008.

1. lavollmer

lavollmer Well-Known Member

I have twins, but also a 13 year old son.

My son is 13, almost 14. My DH and I feel that it is time to start giving him allowance. He does some chores that are supposed to be done consistently (the same 3 things every day- very minimal things)... but he always needs to be asked. He then also doesnt always do them correctly either.
    Sounds like a teenager yes I know. :)

I want to find a way to incentivize him to do his chores without asking and do them right. How much a week is reasonable for his age?

Thanks for your help!

2. Amy R.

Amy R. Well-Known Member

Sarah, Logan, and Ellie (14, 14, and 15 years) get $9 weekly, and Logan gets half of his age - $3.

If they're not satisfied with that, then they can get a job! My oldest has a job, and she's getting way more working than I would ever give her!

3. CatherineMay

CatherineMay Well-Known Member

My brother and I were getting twenty each a week, starting at thirteen. Our mother would send our grandparents money and they in turn would let us have that. We were heavily encouraged to save it... I think my brother had a bit more success with it than I did, though.

So, factoring in that we were spoiled brats... about ten dollars, maybe? I'd expect more from him though. :p

4. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My 12 yr old gets $5/wk.

5. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

My older two have the opportunity to earn $7 per week. They have about three main chores (bed made, no clothes on floor, stuff picked up). These things have to be done every day before they leave for school in order to get the dollar. On Saturday they have specific chores that if they do them before noon they get $2. All of these things have to be done regardless of whether they get paid. They just get the opportunity to earn the money if they do it without reminders and if they are done by the time limit.
    My daughter also earns money by babysitting and my oldest son earns money doing odd jobs (washing my car, etc.)

It's not a lot of money but it has made a big difference over here. Oh, I should add that I pay them each evening. I found this works much better then once a week.

Good luck!

Kmberly

6. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Amy R. @ Apr 20 2008, 09:17 AM) [snapback]730218[/snapback]
    Sarah, Logan, and Ellie (14, 14, and 15 years) get $9 weekly, and Logan gets half of his age - $3.

If they're not satisfied with that, then they can get a job! My oldest has a job, and she's getting way more working than I would ever give her!

That is actually a very good idea, giving them the price of half their age.

They can also earn extra if they do extra.

7. MyButtons

MyButtons Member

when I was that age, I got $20 a week... for making my bed, and doing whatever occasional chores mum would ask me.
    I got my first job when i was 14 so I stopped getting pocket money then.

8. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Around here your allowance is your room and board. If you want to earn money, you have to go above and beyond every day stuff. Cleaning your home is just a part of family life at our house. Mowing, working cows, helping build fence, etc... is stuff you can do to earn money. We're just big meanies!! :laughing:

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I've just reinstated B&C's allowance (they are 13). $5 per week each with the stipulation that their beds are made/rooms picked up/dishes put away every day when I get home from work at 2:15 this summer. They potentially lose $1 per day for NOT doing this (no reminders either). So at the end of the week, they can have anywhere from $0-5 on "payday." Any "extra" work beyond this will be considered on a pay schedule I am working up right now. :D

10. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ May 29 2008, 02:29 PM) [snapback]800060[/snapback]
    Around here your allowance is your room and board. If you want to earn money, you have to go above and beyond every day stuff. Cleaning your home is just a part of family life at our house. Mowing, working cows, helping build fence, etc... is stuff you can do to earn money. We're just big meanies!! :laughing:

I'm with you, Donita. (I'm not "legally" in this forum, but I've had 13 year olds in the past, so I thought I peek in here and see what the concensus was on allowances). My kids have their birthday money, Christmas money, good report card money to spend. That and all the stuff they get from birthday's, party goodie bags, GS prizes, etc. they are lacking for nothing! ;)

11. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

My dd is 12 and ds is 11. They get 20 a week , but only if chores are done. Ds does garbage every day along with recycling. Dd does laundry . They both have to keep rooms clean and do dishes after dinner. If they want extra, they have to do extra stuff. Dd also gets paid for doing our graphics and stuff on our work website. She's our photoshop genius. :D

12. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

$20 a week? :icon_eek: Wow.

Allowance is just our little way of allowing them a little spending money and some monetary responsibility. I think $5 a week is reasonable. BTW, they were expected to do all the same chores before we reinstituted the allowance.

13. Amy R.

Amy R. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Amy R. @ Apr 20 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]730218[/snapback]

OOPS!! I was just rereading this post and I realized I messed up with my own childrens names - I meant Sarah, Austin and Ellie. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

14. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

QUOTE(walker006 @ Jun 11 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]822157[/snapback]
    My dd is 12 and ds is 11. They get 20 a week , but only if chores are done. Ds does garbage every day along with recycling. Dd does laundry . They both have to keep rooms clean and do dishes after dinner. If they want extra, they have to do extra stuff. Dd also gets paid for doing our graphics and stuff on our work website. She's our photoshop genius. :D

I noticed you are now living in the UK. What currency is that 20 in? My kids would LOVE to live at your house! LOL

LOL Katheryn, if you've raised teens (and I have proof that you have ;) ) then you're in here "legally".

15. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Jun 17 2008, 03:58 PM) [snapback]831001[/snapback]
    I noticed you are now living in the UK. What currency is that 20 in? My kids would LOVE to live at your house! LOL

We give them £20 ( it would be about $40) . And no, i would not be giving them $40 if we moved back to the states. Lol. Our kids go to the mall and bowling, movies and shopping with friends on the weekend. So instead of giving allowance plus money for all that , they just get more for allowance. And both of them have cell phones, which they pay for out of their allowance.They both have bank accounts which the money goes into. And have learned to be responsible for that.

We just started giving that much this year. Before that it was a pound or dollar for how old they were. And my kids have been doing some type of "chore" since they were little. If they don't do chores, they don't get money.

16. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Our 12 year olds get $10 deposite directly into their bank accounts online (I am the trustee). When they want some cash, they can use their ATM but I encourage them to come to the bank of mom...I will give them their money fee-free and hten I deduct it from their accounts. IN this way, I can monitor the withdrawals, too...they are not allowed to clean out the account entirely. If they wish to purchase something big, they save until they have more than enough, so that they always keep back a little savings.

I expect them to do regular chores around the house, but the allowance is only indirectly linked to these chores. Allowance/spending money is something their dad and I provide using our discretion based upon their age and responsibility, and because as part of their education we want them to learn how to handle and budget money. Of course, if they are not participating fully in activities for the wellbeing of the family (ie shirking chores regularly) then naturally their dad and I can use our discretion to reduce or eliminate the spending money until they show an appropriate level of responsibility.

Our 12 year olds are expected to keep their rooms tidy and make beds daily, keep bathroom tidy and towels/clothes off floor. They rotate kitchen clean up nights with their siblings, so they clean up every 4th or 5th night every week (that is the entire cleanup...dishes, pots pans, cleaning counters, etc). They weed in the garden when necessary, take turns taking out the trash and put away laundry every day, as needed. TIdying up after themselves when playing games etc has been a regular thing since they were old enough to take toys out by themselves.

NAturally, these are our expectations but many days the expectations are not realised. Beds may be left on mornings when they are late rising for school...but they do not begin any after school fun until those beds are made.

17. jonydepp

jonydepp New Member

Hi
    This isjonydepp here,My boys were never together in elementary school but for the past two years at middle school we have had them on the same team. This means they have most classes together.
    =================================================================================
    Jonydepp
    www.twinstuff.com

18. Bichon999

Bichon999 Well-Known Member

Dana, DK, Mona, and I get 5$ a week, and Gena, and Jack get 2$ a week. But they're younger, and also don't do as many chores. We have standard chores-cleaning rooms, etc. that everyone does, and individual chores-Dana does the dishes, and takes care of our pets, DK mowes the lawn, waters the plants, and does physical stuff (ie-replanting our lemon tree) I do laundry, and windex the mirrors, and glass, and Mona vacuums and dusts. It cuts down mom's load A LOT. But, she got that benefit by having six kids :D