How much do your 6 week old's eat?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by megkc03, Nov 27, 2007.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys will be 6 weeks old on Thursday. I am giving them breast milk via the pump. My question is how much milk should they get? They've been getting at least 4 oz at each feeding-sometimes a bit more. They do tend to spit up after most feedings-not in pain or anything. I was talking to someone and she was giving her daughter 3oz at her feeding and her pedi said she shouldn't be at 4oz until 3 months. However-she was 5 weeks early-so maybe that makes a difference? When we saw the pedi we told him they got 4-4.5oz at their feedings and he didn't seem to say anything.

A weighed 6lbs13oz at birth and at 1 month checkup he was 9lbs...
    B weighed 6lbs3oz at birth and at 1 month checkup he was 7lbs9oz(left the hospital at 5lbs14oz)

2. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. Katie was eating that much as well. Our pedi said at 2 months they can have up to 6 ounces.

She is taking 5-6 at every feeding and weighs 12 pounds already.

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Meg, normal to me! My boys were at 4 oz when we got home from the hospital! They are still big eaters and aren't even close to overweight! They have a hollow leg, I tell you. ;)

Sounds like Anthony and Nicholas are doing well. So Glad! :)

4. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my girls just moved up to 4oz. we mostly bottle feed my breast milk, as well. and sometimes they want more than 4oz. when i breastfeed, they could be latched on for 40 minutes, and still want way more afterwards! so you're not the only one! and i'm glad I'M not the only one, either!

5. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

My boys consistently take 4 ounces sometimes 5. They are 8 weeks.

6. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

i think 6 weeks is when we started offering 4 ounces, DS would suck it all down, DD would eat 2-3 ounces. Now at 9 weeks DS eats 5 ounces at a feeding (he would eat more but that's all we offer and he seems satisifed), and DD will eat 2.5-4 ounces. I think you are doing fine.

7. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

My boys are eating around 5-6 oz. already..via one BF bottle feeding. At there 2 week checkup they were already 7 pounds and 2 oz. Am I feeding them too much?

8. vikkimathews

vikkimathews Well-Known Member

My Boys were eating 5-5 1/2 oz at about 6 weeks -- pedi told me to cut back - I tried, but they would have none of it. They even INCREASED their intake up to about 8 weeks (when they would sometimes take 7oz at a feeding) -- then all the sudden, they lengthened the time between feeding (they did this on their own, not me - though i encouraged it after i realized what they were doing) -- now they take 6-8 oz for 4-5 bottles a day and somehow seem to get almost exactly 32 oz a day

9. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

My DD still eats 2.5-3 ounces every 2 hours during the day of formula (sometimes I BF her too). DS only breastfeeds so I really dont know how much he eats.

10. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

Wow, I guess every baby is different. My DS weighed 8 lbs 13 oz out of the hospital and is now weighing 13.5 pounds at 8 weeks. He is taking about 4-5 ounces. My DD on the other hand, weighed 6 lbs 14 oz at birth, now weighing 10.5 lbs and is still only taking 2 ounces...and growing right on target. It's funny. I told a pediatrician how much they were eating thinking it was low at the ER (long story) and he said to watch that they might be over fed...huh??? I was and still am confused. I can't wait to see my real Ped to tell me what they should be eating.

Now they were eating this every 3 hours but he told me to try to space it out to 4 hours and it's working but they haven't really increased the amount they drink...go figure.

11. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

mine are taking between 3 and 6 oz at each feeding. a total of about 30 oz in a 24 hour period. we offer 6 oz at each feeding and let them stop when they're finished.

12. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am so glad there are such differences between twins. My DS just went up to 5 oz because he was just so fussy after his feeds and then not even making it 3hours in between feedings. So we upped it today!

DD is eating between 2-4 oz but she is crying in the middle of the feed if the bottle is in her mouth or when we burp her and sometimes she cries so much she won't finish eating and becomes inconsolable too! I am taking her to the pedi in the morning just in case. Her crying is the cry like she is in pain. Mother's intuition....even if they say she is fine then I will feel better.