How much do they grow between 20-24 months?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kyrstyn, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls are going to be in 4 weddings this year, and I am trying to coordinate it so I only have to buy one dress for each of them. The first wedding is in June, and the last wedding is in November. I was thinking about buying 2T dresses, and just temporarily altering them for each wedding so they fit. Does that make sense? Do toddlers typically have growth spurts in this time period? If they do, is it more height wise rather than weight?

Right now Kylee weighs 24lbs and Kaylyn weighs 26lbs and they are both 32" tall. They fit great in 18 month clothes right now.

I have to get these dresses ordered, so I need some help on what I should do size wise, and that is a little hard when you don't know how big they are going to be! Thanks!!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Seeing as fast my peanuts grow, I'd get some 24 months!

3. Kyrstyn

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Mar 21 2009, 07:40 AM) [snapback]1238160[/snapback]
    Seeing as fast my peanuts grow, I'd get some 24 months!

Do you know what the exact difference is between 24 months and 2T? I am so confused! :crazy:

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I would go with 2T. I think the difference is in length. I've started collecting things 24months and 2T for the boys. My boys are 22lbs and 36 inches (approx) and are just now getting the length right in 18month pants. They are wearing a few 24 month shirts though. You are sooo smart to just be getting one dress each!! Wow! 4 weddings!! I can do the park, but ask my kids to follow someone down the isle and I'd need a lot of drinks afterward!

5. Kyrstyn

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Mar 21 2009, 07:45 AM) [snapback]1238168[/snapback]
    I would go with 2T. I think the difference is in length. I've started collecting things 24months and 2T for the boys. My boys are 22lbs and 36 inches (approx) and are just now getting the length right in 18month pants. They are wearing a few 24 month shirts though. You are sooo smart to just be getting one dress each!! Wow! 4 weddings!! I can do the park, but ask my kids to follow someone down the isle and I'd need a lot of drinks afterward!

:laughing: I have already warned the brides that I can't make any promises that they will cooperate, but they can use them if they want! :lol: Maybe by the 3rd or 4th wedding they will have it down!

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

4 weddings this year, wow!! I am not a good person to give advice, my girls are still wearing 9 month size dresses and they are about 17 months now...

7. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I think 2T is a safe bet, based on their sizes right now. I think 24 months is a little wider and shorter, while 2T is a little narrower and taller, if that makes sense.

For comparison, Karina is solidly in a 3T, and she's about 37 inches, and well past 30 pounds (she was 34 at the doctor's the other day, but that was with sneakers and jeans). Kevan is in a 2T, and he's probably about 34.5 inches and between 28 and 30 pounds, I'd say.

Mommymeg, are you sure your boys are 36 inches tall? That's the height of a standard kitchen counter -- I'm curious because Kevan is 90% in height at his age, and he's about 34.5 inches...my kiddos are *really* tall! Size 2T pants are not too long on him at all....

ETA -- four weddings! holy cow! My 4.5-year-old was in ONE wedding last summer, and that was plenty, LOL. But I can imagine the appeal of having cute twin girls in your wedding!

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Between 20 and 24 months Ana had a growth spurt, but Meara didn't. So Ana now wears 18-24 month pants, and Meara is still in 12-18 month. However, with dresses you can get away with something that is a little too long in June and maybe a little short in November... you can hem it in June and maybe add some lace on the bottom for November.

My girls haven't really gained much weight in the last 4 months either, they've just gotten taller.

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

A friend of mine in retail said there's actually no difference between the 24 month size and the 2T size. 24 months is used when the clothes are designed for babies and 2T is when they're designed for toddlers. So, a designer will make an outfit for 0-3 months, 6-9 months, etc, all the way up to 24 months. That's where the line will stop. The same designer might make the same outfit or a slightly different one for toddlers and young kids with the sizes starting at 2T and going up to 5T or whatever.

Some 24 month clothes will be wider and shorter than 2Ts like Becca34 mentioned, but it's not always the case, just depends on who's designing what clothes and when. You usually won't find the same outfit in 24 months and 2T.

Edited, because I forgot to add, if your girls fit perfect in 18 months right now I"d say you're safe with 2T. My girls still fit in some 18 month clothes, and fit in the 2T size pretty nicely (they're both about 33 inches tall) but 3T would absolutely swim on them.

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Mar 21 2009, 12:12 PM) [snapback]1238274[/snapback]
    Mommymeg, are you sure your boys are 36 inches tall? That's the height of a standard kitchen counter -- I'm curious because Kevan is 90% in height at his age, and he's about 34.5 inches...my kiddos are *really* tall! Size 2T pants are not too long on him at all....

:nea: Yeah, I probably (or definatly) screwed that up. I'm so bad with numbers! The sheet the Dr. wrote it down on is all the way upstairs. They are not as tall as our countertop, but taller than our kitchen table. Time to break out the table measure (which is downstairs). I'm so lazy today!

ETA: They are 32 and 33 inches. Sorry!

11. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Mar 21 2009, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1238467[/snapback]
    ETA: They are 32 and 33 inches. Sorry!

It doesn't matter at all, of course -- I was just surprised! :)

12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Mar 21 2009, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1238162[/snapback]
    Do you know what the exact difference is between 24 months and 2T? I am so confused! :crazy:

I was told the height/weight guides on 24 mos and 2T are different by 1" and 1 pound, so not really much!!

I would definitely go with the 2T, and see if you can get something that ties in the back at the waist (or just above). That way you can cinch it as much as you need to, and maybe you will only have to take the shoulders up a smidge for the early wedding.

13. Kyrstyn

Thanks for all your help!!! I went ahead and ordered 2T. It has a sash that goes around it, so I think that will help. :)

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think my girls grew at all from 20-24 months. In fact they barely grew from about 18-30 months. :D (I'm sure they did, but that's just how it seemed.) Since then they've shot up a few inches.

15. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

If you get dresses that are 2T with short sleeves and are not really really long then that would be perfect. Dresses can always fit and look great even if too big!