How many times a night do you...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by swilhite25, Aug 27, 2009.

1. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Get up to check on your lo's? I check on them once before I go to bed and then most times if I have to get up to go to the bathroom. So maybe 2 times a night. The other night DS was running a fever and I checked on him once after he went to bed and then once before I went to bed. My DH thinks I'm paranoid because I always put my hand on their chest to make sure they're breathing, but it just feels like that's what I'm supposed to do. It's peace of mind. Am I paranoid?

2. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

I'm constantly checking!! I wasnt so bad until DD started rolling around in the crib and I'm paranoid she cant get her face out of the mattress. Their crib is right next to my bed so I am always checking them.

3. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

i usually check them after they fall asleep and then again before i go to bed. i am afraid to touch them but i take a good look with my little flashlight. [​IMG] DH doesn't understand why i feel compelled to go look at them, but oh well, there is no way i would be able to go to sleep without that final check.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We both check a couple times after they go to bed then we give them extra kisses before we go to bed then its none again til morning:) Unless they make weird noises or cry.

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

You are not paranoid, I checked everytime I woke at that age. Even now I always check before I go to bed and yes I still make sure they are breathing lol and they are 6

6. StaceeyL

StaceeyL Well-Known Member

I check a couple times a night. I also still check on my 12 & 9 year olds!

7. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies! It must be a Mom thing that Dads just don't understand. :) I knew I couldn't be the only one who does this.

8. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I go in and check on them right before I go to bed. I also check on my 5 yr old. I blow them kisses goodnight.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still check all of my kids before I go to bed at night, although quite often these days I go to bed before Olivia. If I get up in the night to go to the bathroom, I will often check L&L again. You are not crazy!

10. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I totally think this is a mom thing because I always check on them about 30 minutes after bedtime, right before I go to bed, and if I get up at night, I go check. I don't understand how my husband can not go check on the kids before bed...go figure.

11. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I made my husband start checking. I check on my 4 year old after he is asleep (usually to remove toys and books from his bed)and before I go to bed. J&H I check on after daddy puts them down for the night to make sure they really are asleep. I do not check if I am up unless I see a light on or something feels strange.

12. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I check on them after they fall asleep, and then again before I go to bed. After that I don't check unless they're crying. I think it's totally normal for moms. My DH does not check on them, although sometimes he asks me if I checked.

13. twinsontheway09

twinsontheway09 Active Member

I also check on all my children and sometimes DH does to! I think it's cute when he does it.

14. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

DH and I check on them before we go to bed (which is only an hour after they do) so just once for us. When they were babies they were up so often that I would go to the bathroom after I fed/soothed them. DH is a light sleeper so unless I can't sleep, I don't check on them during my middle of the night potty stops.

15. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Mine sleep in our room with me, but if I get up I check on them. With my daughter I still have the camera / monitor in her room so I can check on her whenever I want... When the babies move to their own room I will put the camera in their room so i don't have to constantly check on them.

16. RhodeMomma

RhodeMomma Well-Known Member

I always check on the boys if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night. I also have the Angelcare SIDS monitors, so I don't have to worry as much about them not breathing. They sometimes sleep in a pretzel shape, or with their butts propped in the air and faces on the mattress, but somehow their chest/tummy doesn't really touch the mattress. So of course, the monitors go off. But I'd much rather get up and check and make sure, and have it be a false alarm. Since they started sleeping on their bellies (of their own accord), I was initially very worried about them, but I'm slowly calming down a bit about it.

I check on them during any of my pee runs (lol) and my DH checks on them too (and not because I ask him to). He's so great with the kids... checks them before coming to bed (which is always after me). He checks to make sure they're not too warm or cold, goes downstairs and adjusts the thermostat or puts long pants on them, whatever they seem to need in the middle of the night. He's such an attentive Dad, I'm so very fortunate. He's up with me for all the feedings, or when they wake up early in the morning, and he's done it all with me since we came home from the hospital, without being asked. I feel like I won the lottery :)

It's so normal to check on our kids, we worry about them so darned much.

17. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

i do the hand to chest thing, or i'll jiggle where they are laying so they move themselves...i've always done, but i do it even more so now...shortly after izzy was born (he was 11 days old) he started having episodes where he would stop breathing...it turned out that these were seizures...he was put on some heavy meds for it and outgrew it, however it sticks with me...i don't go upstairs and check on the older kids..it's too dark and i don't want to risk waking them by turning on lights...with the babies, they are still up enough (only 4 weeks old) that i don't need to worry about checking on them, they'll let me know when they want something...

18. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I have never once checked on mine. Don't even have a monitor and I sleep w/ my door and their doors shut. My DH checks on them before he goes to bed which is about 3 hours after I go.

I can hear if they wake up screaming and so far.. in 23 months... it hasn't ever happened :)

I'm DEFINITELY not the worried type. Plus, I really don't think checking on them once or 2 times a night is bad. I also don't think it would stop anything bad from happening tho either.

:) It's whatever you're comfortable with :)

19. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When they were infants, I would check on them 2x a night. Now that they are older, I usually turn on the video monitor before I go to bed to check on DD and peek in DS's room before I go to bed. I don't think there is anything paranoid about doing that at all.

20. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dh checks on our older kids before we go to bed. We both check on the babies as well (they are still in our room with us). Then I peek at them every time I go pee just to make sure their shuffling didn't wake my subconscious self up. Sometimes I check on them if they are napping an unusually long time.