How many made it full term without intervention?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Fletchie, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Fletchie

Fletchie Well-Known Member

Just wondering how likely it is to actually get to 37 weeks without having all the L&D scares. At first I thought it impossible, but as I get closer, I am starting to think I can actually have healthy full term babies!

2. DMBMom40

DMBMom40 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for asking this! I've been wondering the same thing. I'll be interested to see the responses you get.

3. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I saw a statisitic a few months ago that said 70% women with twin pregnancies end up on bedrest at some time in their pregnancy. For me it was 12 days of modified bedrest from 34w 2d and coming off at 36w.

4. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 36 weeks and I had two scares. My friend who just had her twins on Valentines day went the fll 38 weeks and they had to induce becasue the babies hwed no sign of coming out!!!! So I guess it is possible

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I had no bedrest. No major issues during my pregnancy & I worked 43 hours a week up until the day before my scheduled c-section (presenting twin was breech). I made it to 38 weeks. I was having contractions that I was not feeling when I went in for my c-section.

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My dr told me that unless he had reason to think differently, he treats twin pregnancies as normal, except for extra ultrasounds and NSTs.

I had an uneventful pregnancy. I had to deliver at 37 wks, 1 day, because I ran out of room (I'm 5'1" and the girls were 6,9 and 6,13 by then), but I was not about to go into labor, my cervix was long and thick. I had no bedrest and no scares of any kind.

He did advise against my continuing the job I worked at because I had to be on my feet all day, but I didn't really mind quitting that job.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I made it to 39 weeks. :D No bedrest or any other "situations". I only went in to L&D at 25 weeks because I wasn't drinking enough water :rolleyes: But other then that, I think they would have stayed until over 40 weeks, they didn't seem to have plans to come out on their own.

My suggestion would be, don't listen to everything the doctor says. You just think positive and let your body do the best it can. My doctor was sure that the kids would be out by 34-36 weeks. :nea: Just drink lots of water. ;)

Good luck to all you mommas!

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Another smooth ride here ... I had one L&D trip just because my doctors office was closed, but not urgent. I had no bed rest, no major complications and had to be induced at 38w2d. They were close to 8lbs each. My first pregnancy was also very uneventful for the entire 41 weeks +. She was over 9lbs.

My doctor always estimated 35-36 weeks, knowing my history (heavy child before, d&c, measuring ahead), but I beat her (and she was happy I did).

9. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

One of the woman who was in my antenatal class went to 39 weeks. She actually had to get induced as those babies didnt want to come out!! A woman who had her twins the week before me went to 38 weeks without any problems. x

10. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

No complications here, well I had gestational diabetes. But, I made it to 37 weeks and 2 days. My Dr. scheduled my c-section and I was just so excited about meeting them I went along with it. When they hooked me up on the monitors at the hospital, I was showing no signs of labor. If this ever happens again, I will want to go longer than 37 weeks, because I know I could have!

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I made it to 36 weeks 5 days, with no pre-term labor, no bed rest, nothing. I never saw a peri, only my OB, I passed the first 1 hour diabetes test, I never even had morning sickness.

At my 36 week appointment my blood pressure started to go up and the OB said we'd schedule an induction at my 37 week appointment, for my 38th week. Then at 36 weeks 5 days my water broke. The babies were fine, no NICU time, but Lily did go to the transitional nursery for a few hours. But since I delivered in the middle of the night that was fine, I Just ate a sandwich and took a nap and when I woke up my babies were with me!

12. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I had a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks, and just had to sit as much as possible since my ankles swelled otherwise. No real modified bed rest - I ran around a lot, just feet up when sitting. No extra trips to L&D.

13. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

I made it to my 38 week scheduled c-sec with only one trip to L & D for my blood pressure. Other than that no problems. No signs of labor.

14. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I was one of the lucky ones. I had lots of NST's (since I was so nervous) but never had preterm labor, bedrest (although I didn't do much but lie in bed and moan) or any complications and went in for my scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. 5.7 and 6.10 perfectly healthy. Came out breastfeeding like champs - latched on for 40 min each first time!

For all my misery, I did an do feel tremendously blessed. I could have done nothing but show up for delivery and had a perfectly healthy twin pregnancy - absolutly no medical interventions.

15. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No real complications here either! I did have a subchorionic bleed at 14 weeks and was put on modified bedrest until the bleeding stopped(so 2 days). I worked until 31 weeks, but I could have gone longer. I was a preschool teacher, so I stopped at the end of August, so a teacher could start the year with the students, vs me leaving at any time due to the birth.

I had NST's and at 32 weeks or so, I told my ob they said I had a contraction. You would have thought my water broke! I was monitored for 3 hours, then went home. She was worried I was going to deliver early. So the rest of the pregnancy was week by week. I felt totally fine the entire time. From start to finish. When I had "contractions" from the NST, she told me to take it easy. So I didn't walk the malls or anything! :p With that said...I made it to 38 weeks! My c/s date! These boys did not want out!!

So-it's definitely doable! Don't push yourself and take it easy-and enjoy being waited on-that ends once the babies are here! ;)

16. yaniah

yaniah Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Feb 27 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]642484[/snapback]
    Just drink lots of water. ;)

So I know normally to drink a lot of water becaus3e it's healthy and good for you, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does everyone keep saying drink a lot of water? I assume it right along the lines of eating healthy and what not, but I wanted to know if there was a specific reason to drink more then nomal amounts of water. Thanks.

17. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(rubyturquoise @ Feb 27 2008, 07:19 AM) [snapback]642479[/snapback]
    My dr told me that unless he had reason to think differently, he treats twin pregnancies as normal, except for extra ultrasounds and NSTs.

I heard the same thing from my OB. There is no real way to know how far you will make it. I was told since my first DD was a week late with no PTL, that would really help me with the twin pregnancy, then all of a sudden at 24w things went downhill and no one knows why. Up until that point, everything was perfect. It is so different for everyone.

18. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(yaniah @ Feb 27 2008, 07:20 AM) [snapback]642630[/snapback]
    So I know normally to drink a lot of water becaus3e it's healthy and good for you, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but why does everyone keep saying drink a lot of water? I assume it right along the lines of eating healthy and what not, but I wanted to know if there was a specific reason to drink more then nomal amounts of water. Thanks.

It's not a stupid question... but the answer isn't to drink water just to be healthy, like eating fruits and vegetables. Water is critical when you're pregnant. Your blood volume doubles when you're pregnant with twins and you need extra water to keep this blood flowing efficiently. Water transports nutrients to the babies. Water flushes out your system and helps prevent UTIs and build up of other toxins. Amniotic fluid needs to be replaced every hour, and that takes a lot of water (I can't remember if it's 8 oz every hour necessary to replace the fluid, but it's something like that). Finally, water prevents contractions. One of the major causes of pre term labor is dehydration. When you're pregnant with twins you can get dehydrated much quicker than you think, and you can get dehydrated even if you're drinking a normal amount of water because your body needs so much more now.

My peri advised me to drink 128 oz of water a day (16 glasses).

19. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

I went to 37 with no real issues although we had an emerg section because DD was not moving in utero. Turns out she was sleeping.

I did spent a few days resting as the PERI noticed my cervix was shortening. It was never an issue though. :) No Labor at all for me!

Oh and a friend at my MOMS club went 39 weeks and had a home birth!

20. lhoran

lhoran Well-Known Member

I had a beautiful pregnancy--no issues except for 1 labor scared at 30 weeks--no dilation and sent home. However, at my 34 week checkup I was 5 cm!!! I had them 2 days later-(I was 7cm at that point.) I think everybody is different. In retrospect, though, I wish I had taken it easier then I thought I was. I have 3 older children, so my taking it easy probably wasn't enough.

Don't worry...just listen to your body and take it easy and drink lots of water--you have a great excuse to slow down.

GL
    LIsa

21. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I had a planned c-section at 38 weeks (Baby A breech). At that point, I had no signs of labor, no complications save swollen ankles, and was huge but happy. :)

22. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

No problems here either. Thankfully, no scares the entire pregnancy. I was induced at 38.5 weeks (had to wait through Thanksgiving weekend, which is why it wasn't at 38) and they showed NO signs of coming before that. I was only at 1 or 2 cm when I went in for the induction. I also worked up until the Wed. before Thanksgiving, 40 hr weeks & a 45 min commute each way, with no problems (desk job).

Good luck!

23. kjbruehl

kjbruehl Well-Known Member

No real problems here either. I do have a history of pre-e and my bp has spiked a couple of times. I went to L&D once at 34 weeks cuz bp was high and there was protein in my urine. As soon as I got there, everything went back to normal.

BP is starting to creep again, so we are scheduled for our section next Tuesday, March 4 and I will be 37 weeks and 2 days!!!

24. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

36W1D no problems no restrictions nothing. No NICU time, smooth sailing!!

25. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I was induced at 39 weeks after an uneventful pregnancy. I didn't have any issues at all until the end when my blood pressure started to creep up but it was never dangerously high.

26. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I went to 34w6d with no interventions at all. I had been in the hospital a few times for severe dehydration with the morning sickness but no bedrest or anything. I worked up to 32 weeks. Im sure had I taken it easy I would have made it farther but we were house shopping and I was doing WAY more walking in the last weeks then I should have been!

27. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

38 weeks 1 day here. No swelling, no nausea, no complications. I was truly blessed with a great pregnancy. I drank lots of water and worked from home up until my c-section. I had a conference call, went to the doctor, scheduled the c-section for the next day, came home and called work and told them I would see them in 3-4 months.

28. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to make it all the way, I was put on bed rest at 35 weeks, delivered at 37 1/2 weeks. Not so bad, it was due to high blood pressure.

29. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I've only had one semi-scare. I went in to Triage because I was having a ton of BH. But they weren't changing my cervix or anything. I got 1 shot of Terb and went home. However, I probably won't make it to 37 weeks. My doctor said I could go anytime now. I'm hoping to make it to 37 weeks, but we'll see. I've actually had a really good twin pregnancy! No bed rest or anything!

30. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

My dd had a scheduled c/s at 36w1d because her twins were mo/di and that's what the peri thought was best... however she never had one issue with preterm labor, bedrest... she never even had any bh... she was out running around doing last minute stuff the day before the c/s.. and she's only 5'1! I'm sure she could have gone another couple of weeks no question..

31. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

:banana: I did! 100% perfect pregnancy and delivery, and babies too! :banana:

32. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

I made it to my scheduled c-section date of 39 weeks, 2 days with no scares. I wasn't dialated, never felt a contraction, and only had to go to the hospital once to have my blood pressure monitored for an hour. I did have VERY uncomfortable swelling though and could not stand for any length of time. I worked up until 37 weeks.

33. teddylynn96

teddylynn96 Well-Known Member

My doctor has treated my pregnancy like my other one and never talked about bedrest, the only difference was more ultrasounds. I made it to 28 weeks without much excitement. Then I slipped and fell on the ice leaving work. When I got to L&D I was in PTL and 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated. Now I'm on bedrestand brethine every 4-6 hours.

Hope you are luckier than I was and have a smooth sail pregnancy.

34. claudiaofthree

claudiaofthree New Member

Well i was able to ake it, but i was worried before hand. I delivered at almost 38 weeks and now they are a little over a month. My advice, take it easy the further you get...... it helped to decrease my contractions..... good luck!

Claudia

35. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

I made it to 37 weeks 2 days before I had a scheduled c-section (DD was breached). I had absolutely no scares, bedrest or other issues during my pregnancy.