how many bottles and how many meals?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Mar 12, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

one of my girlfriends daughter is 10 months and she gets 3 bottles a day and 3 meals a day.
    what should my meals look like? we still do 5 bottles (6 oz - 7 oz in each one) and are up to 3 meals now. in about a week and a half the LO's will be 10 months old and *if* their naps are now good, i am willing to attempt dropping another bottle! i had some problems with their naps/bottle times, etc.

now that they are semi-self soothing (LOL - YAY) should i change up their food schedules and drop a bottle again?

2. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I have any answers for you but I wanted to share what my 10 month old's feeding is like (actually they will be 11 months tomorrow but we have been doing it this way for a few weeks at least).

My babies get 3-4 bottles a day with about 6-7oz in each bottle. They also get 3 meals a day (3-4 jars of baby food and some finger food too). In addition they get a snack in the afternoon (either cheerios, bits of cheese, crackers or something like that). They also get a couple oz. of juice sometimes.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to cut back a bottle. You can try it and see if they'll go with it. :)

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At 10 months we were doing at least 4 bottles and they were getting 3 solids meals a day and probably one snack. Since you are just getting the sleep thing worked out. I wouldnt change a thing for a couple of weeks.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

this is what i was thinking.
    i am going to cut a bottle out ONCE they are ok and i am able to get them to totally sleep on their own with no help from myself.
    i also need to try more finger foods...i just get so nervous since they have no teeth, lol!

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I agree with not changing anything else until they have the sleep thing under control. At 6 mos we moved to four bottles a day, the first three with meals so they ate bottle and solids at 8 am, noon, 4 pm and then a bottle at bedtime at 8 pm. They stayed on that schedule until just after a year old with solids/finger foods increasing each time. At about 13 mos we started giving them a small snack with milk at four and then they ate dinner with us about 6 with no milk and had their cup of milk at bedtime. We moved the bedtime cup to dinner and took it away at snack at 15mos.

Oh, and don't worry about no teeth! All of mine were eating almost everything we did with no molars at all. If you can mush it between your fingers, they can mush it with their gums!

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

Here is our schedule. Nick likes to nurse more than Alex right now. Alex's gums are sore and I think that's affecting his nursing. My boys eat alot at meals. Once we started finger foods, they started gobbling down their food.

6:30 - Nick nurses - Alex doesn't want anything
    7:00 - Breakfast
    8:30 - Nurse/ 4 oz Bottle for both before nap
    11:30 - Lunch
    12:30 - Nurse/4 oz Bottle for both before nap
    3:30 - Nick nurses / Alex has a 4 oz bottle
    5:00 - Dinner
    6:30 - Nurse/ 6 oz bottle before bed
    Middle of the night - Nick wakes occasionally to nurse, Alex wakes more nights than not for a bottle. He won't nurse at all in the middle of the night.

So I think both boys pretty much have the equivilent of 6 bottles and 3 meals over the course of the day.