How long were your babies on Neosure?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kyrstyn, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls are on Neosure formula and it is SO expensive! I was just wondering how long they are typically on it before they can move to another (hopefully more economical) formula. TIA!

2. moparchick

moparchick Well-Known Member

I have one still on neosure. (It sucks!) The neo dr. wanted him on it until his adjusted age is 1 year. Jan 17th can't come fast enough! The other one came off when he was 9 months old. He actually hit the charts, so the pedi took him off. It is expensive, and esp. when you are buying for 2! I remember one can would last maybe 2 days.

3. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

Mine were on Nutramigen, but I told them that I didnt think it was neccessary to have them on such an expensive formula b/c they were gaining weight good. They switched while they were still in the NICU, and their weight gained continued so we got the green light to stop it.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two were on Enfacare (which is Enfamil's high calorie formula) until they were 12 months and then we just went to milk. It was expensive, but they could use any extra calories they could get.

I always asked for samples when I was at the peds office, many times they would give me 4 cans. Also, they may be able to talk to the Similac rep and get a free case for you. With Enfamil they give a free case per child, so we got 2, of Enfacare, the peds office just had to tell them about us.

5. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

Mine were 6 months old when they came off! That was a glorious day! I'm glad they were on it though because now I have some big healthy babies!

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine were on it until 6 months actual. I did pump up until that time, so it was part Neosure and part EBM. Then I switched to regular formula mixed to 22 calories (Costco/Kirkland brand).

Talk with your pedi. I got so many samples from them, plus they signed me up for Similac's multiple club, and I paid for very little of my Neosure. I got 3 shipments to my house of Neosure RTF. Not due to financial need, just something my pedi signed me up for.

7. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My drs office was able to give me free samples, so that helped a TON. Also, since we got SSI in the nicu, we automatically got WIC (they don't even take your income into account at that point) so we got formula for free. We had to keep mitchell on the neosure mixed with bm for about 9 mos (we also had to add some kind of oil to it for a while). Kenna was only on it in the nicu.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

3 months but we did a 1 month trial to make sure they continued to grow

9. hrichards

hrichards Well-Known Member

Our girls were on Neosure for the 1st 3months, our doctor gave us a couple of sample bottles, but they don't last very long. Luckily I had a few friends that had recieved some samples in the mail, but didn't need them, so we got a few extra. But it is not cheap, that's for sure.

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you can use regular formula to make higher calorie formula - you have to use powdered though - ours were on 24 cal formula (which they don't sell so you HAVE to make it)...if you call the NICU and ask them they probably have a sheet with the amounts...for us for 24 cal it was 1 and a half scoops of formula powder to 2 oz water (instead of the traditional 1 scoop)...I believe Neosure is 22 cal - so the amounts are different....

11. mommycandi

mommycandi Well-Known Member

My guys were on it until they were 9 months. Then we switched to regular Similac Advance. I know how expensive it can be. I think we went through about 1 can a day!

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

When we went in for our first checkup after we took them home (at about 35 weeks gest) the Ped said until they were 9 months. But we then quickly got reflux and so that ended that and then I had to go to Alimentum. Talk about expensive!!! Argh!

13. Pookeysue

Pookeysue Well-Known Member

Make sure to call the company and ask for samples. I called and got 2 cases of the all ready mixed Neosure. We were on it for 6 months.

14. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Pookeysue @ Jan 8 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]563511[/snapback]
    Make sure to call the company and ask for samples. I called and got 2 cases of the all ready mixed Neosure. We were on it for 6 months.

I also got samples to because I filled out a form on the internet or was it through the mail... I can't remember, but I would look into it.

We stayed on Neosure for a year. My little girl could use all the calories she could get!