How long is your school day?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by tinalb, Aug 6, 2011.

1. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The Kindergarten thread got me thinking, I think our school days may be a shorter here than in some other places. How long are your days & how many months are they in school?

Our elementary kids (including Kindergarten) go from 8:41 (I know, weird) until 2:35. They are in session from September 7 until the end of June, so 10 months.

2. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine start Aug 29th .. until mid June. Depending on snow days. They go from 8:30 - 2:30.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

8:15-2:45 I think

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

The girls' start at 7:50 and they get out at 2:55. The schools in my county have added 10 minutes to the normal school day to build up for potential snow days.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our school year is 180 days here. We start Aug. 29 and get out June 15 (that is including 5 snow days and we get them back if we don't use them). Our school day for elementary (all day K here) is 9-3:30.

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Aug 5 to about May 25, 8:45-3:45. Of course, when you factor in the bus, it's more like 8-4:30. I hate that we have centerpoint schools here. It's pretty much impossible to walk, and I won't spend an hour running my car in the heat polluting the air to avoid the bus. It's not even any faster to get them home because the line is so long. It's ridiculous. Not to mention that it's a chunk of time I spend more productively by having them take the bus.

7. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The day is 8:35-3:35. Mine don't ride the bus. It costs extra for us because we're too close. But it's about a 2 mile walk over an interstate so I take them. It adds less than 10 mins each way. We go from Aug. 18-May 23.

Marissa

8. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

School day for the twins is about 8.45-3.00 (it lengthens slightly as they move up the school, but only by 5 minutes either end of the day). Term starts early September, usually between the 2nd and 5th, and finishes late July, usually the 22nd-26th. I think we get more holiday at other times in the year than you guys though, school holidays are 13-14 weeks total/year.

E & E go to a private school so when they are old enough to go full time (they only do 1/2 days a few times a week at the moment) they will have longer days. More like 8.20-4.00 but will get more weeks of holiday, I think more like 18-20 weeks/year.

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Piper and Cricket go to preschool at a PS - 6th grade school. Kids can arrive anytime after 7:30, school starts for all ages at 8:15 and the day is over at 3. They do at least an hour outside for all ages a day, though, so the indoor learning time is less than the public schools here, which go from 8:30 to 3 for Kindergarten. The public school year is 8/15 - memorial day and private is 9/7 - memorial day.

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Mine start September 7th and ends June 13th. :good: My two will go from 8:45 to 11:15... but the rest of the grades from 8:45 to 3:00.

11. Dani Boyle

Dani Boyle Well-Known Member

Our school calendar is 180 days- Aug. 29th to around June 15th. The elementary schools (K-4) go from 9-3:40 5th & 6th also go from 9-3:40. 7th & 8th grades go 8:05-2:41 and high school 7:40-2:20.

12. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I *wish* our schools had this much outside time. It's more like 20 mins, twice a week. (Although at the moment it's far too hot, which is why it's silly they've even started school this early.)

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Tardy bell rings at 9:05 (first bell at 8:55), walkers leave at 3:20 and bus riders leave at 3:30. Doors open for breakfast at 8:40. The kids get a 30 minute lunch and a 40 minute recess each day. We go 180 days/year.

14. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

The school day is 8:55 to 3:30. The district added 30 mins. to the day about 2 years ago. School starts Sept. 1 and is out in mid-June.

15. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Mine have school from 9 to 3:45. Last year it was 9 to 3:30. Aug 24 to mid-June here.

16. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

8:45 until 3:54. It's a long day, I think. Last year, they started the day after Labor Day and got out June 3rd, which is a bit earlier than normal. It's usually around June 10th or so.

17. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

School is technically from 8:35-3:05. But, they start dismissal at 2:55, and by 3:05 all kids are supposed to be gone. This was a switch last year when we lost 7 buses to the elementary school due to budget cuts.

18. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

180 days here also. We start the last week in August and get out...who knows when. With snow days and tons of professional days and conference days, it goes well into June.

Mine are half day but grades 1 & 2 go to school from 9 to 3:30. I have no clue what hours the other schools do.

19. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Our school day is 9:15am to 4:07pm. There is a late start every other Wednesday and school starts at 10:15am those days.

That's a shorter day than their preschool/daycare day was. And the bonus is I just have to take 2 walks a day to the bus stop instead of driving to pick them up (DH drops them off at preschool).

20. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine will go from 7:30-3:05 (that includes bus time)...I think the actual school day is 8-2:50 - full day K...

they will go on the bus both ways as the pickup line starts forming at 1 pm - and I'm just not about to wait in that line (aside from the fact I'll have class/clinical till 3)

21. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Our school year is 180 days as well. No snow days though.

The kindergarten kids go from 8:45-3:00. They get a 15 minute morning and afternoon recess and a 45 minute lunch.

The first and second graders go from 8:40-3:15; same recesses and lunch.

22. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

8:10 to 3:10. :( Too long for my taste. The year is 180 days starting August 22- Last week in May? I don't remember.

23. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

9:05 to 3:30 here. We live about .25 miles from the school, so no busing. I will walk her when I can and drive if the weather is bad or on preschool mornings (for timing reasons). The afternoon pickup line is ridiculous. The line starts forming at 3:10 for 3:30 pick up!

24. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

What is that about?? That happens at our school, too. I don't get it.

25. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

ours start day after labor day until about June 15th.
    Elementary school (including kindergarten) starts at 7:55 until 2:15., about 6 hours and 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week. They are on the bus at our doorstep at 7:12 and off the bus at 2:50pm.

Our middle school doesn't start until 9:30. Our district has found that by starting the older kids later it has significantly reduced the drop out rate and increased attendance so that's why our little ones start earlier.

26. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

We too are 180 days.

During elementary school my girls got on the bus at 8 am ish, and were home at 4pm. School started at 5 of 9 and ended at 3:20. This year they are moving up to the middle school, so they will be getting on the bus about an hour earlier, and should be home about an hour earlier (I think). I have not seen the current bus schedule.

27. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My girls go from 8 to 1. The have 6 weeks off in the summer, two at Christmas and two at Easter. Plus there is generally at least a week of teacher's strike in May. They have one 30 minute recess at 10, in which they can eat, for a lot of kids that's their breakfast. Families usually eat their main meal of the day around 3pm.

Most public schools run a second shift--which generally has fewer students--that runs from 2.30 to 7.30 pm.

28. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Our school starts on Sept 7th and ends in mid June. School starts at 8 where everyone goes in but the official tardy bell rings at 8:10. School gets out at 2:25 and kindergartners get out at 2:15 (for elementary school). Middle school 7:55 tardy bell to 2:13, high school 7:35 warning bell to 2:40 buses leave (if you are out of district, we have three or four other districts that go to our high school).

I know for our elementary school people start getting to the school around 2:05 to pick up kids from school. We are also a walking school so it is crazy at pick up. Our school is trying something different this year by having set areas for the parents to park to pick up their kids by grades (if you have a couple kids in school it goes by the youngest child). Thankfully I walk so I don't have to deal with it all but it seems very confusing and frustrating for the parents picking up the kids (they started this they last 2 or 3wks of school last year to see how it would work).

29. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

My kids have a pretty long day. School starts at 8:20 and get out at 3:40. They go from Aug 15th until May 23rd.

30. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

My twins will go from 8:15am until 3pm. So 6 hours 45 minutes. They will have school From September 2nd until June 7th. My older 2 will have school starting September 1st until June 7th from 8am until 3:20pm.

31. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls go from 9:10 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. the bus picked them up last year around 8;45 and drops them off about ten to 4.
    Everyone in in the school can be bussed,. the way they do pick up is every parent has to go in a side door, the kids wait in a room and the parents sign out the kids and they walk down for the kids. I think you can get there around 3 but I'm not positive.

32. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At our school, probably 75% of kids walk to school (we have neighborhood schools so everyone is within walking distance) so pick up/drop off time is never too crazy, thank goodness. We will walk every day that the weather is not absolutely horrible.

33. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

School starts 9:10 and ends 3:40. They usually get on the bus around 8:45 and get home around 4ish. We run August 29 - June 14th, but that's with 5 snow days built in. If we don't use them, last day is June 7.

34. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

August 15 to the week before Memorial Day

About 8:15 to 3:00 (I don't know for sure -- I'm sure I will know in a few weeks!) Thank goodness we just walk across the street to school -- otherwise they'd have to be on the bus at 7:45.

So it sounds like we're on the early end both for the day and for the year!
    Mine are also doing a YMCA after care program that goes till 5:30, so I can keep my job.

35. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

We do 180 days and start Aug 16 til June 6. The final bell rings at 8:20 and release at 2:45. The kids(K-6) have 25 minutes for lunch and usually do PE or recess each day for 30 mins. DH drops the girls off each day and my sister picks up the kids. She waits until 2:50 to pull up to the school so she doesn't waste time sitting in the pickup line:)