How long do you swaddle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ckreh, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Since these are our 1st children we are learning as we go. Last night DH asked how long do we swaddle the twins at night. We recieved two sleep sacks in a size small at the baby shower, so that got him thinking. I said I didn't know, but probably for awhile since they are only 3 weeks old. Plus they wave their arms around so much that it scares them from time to time and the swaddle helps curb that.

So I figured I would ask the experts here. Should we start using the sleep sacks or keep swaddling?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(ckreh @ Jun 11 2008, 09:11 AM) [snapback]821054[/snapback]
    Since these are our 1st children we are learning as we go. Last night DH asked how long do we swaddle the twins at night. We recieved two sleep sacks in a size small at the baby shower, so that go him thinking. I said I didn't know, but probably for awhile since they are only 3 weeks old. Plus they wave their arms around so much that it scares them from time to time.

So I figured I would ask the experts here. Should we start using the sleep sacks or keep swaddling?

I swaddled for bedtime until 4 months. Naptime-6 months! They were still napping in their swings at that point. And like you-those darn arms would startle them awake! There is no ill effect if you swaddle them for a length of time. They will eventually outgrow that reflex. And once we did stop swaddling-we went cold turkey. I didn't do one arm, then leg, etc. But you might be a ways away from that!

Congrats on your twins!

3. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

We still swaddle - they'll be 4 months on Friday. It really seems to help calm them down, especially at bedtime. Though lately, they've both been Houdini-ing their arms out, and sometimes John will become completely unswaddled (and thus gets a bit cold). We're trying to figure out when to stop swaddling....

Becky

4. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We swaddled early on most of the time but not consistently every night. Then we realized around 2 mo that they slept SOOO much better and longer swaddled that we started it every night with both. We did this until right at 5 months when it was difficult to get them wrapped up even in the larger recieving blankets we had purchased. They were escaping most nights by then too.

When we quit we discussed the one arm out thing, but just decided to go for it one long weekend. So that Friday we zipped them up into sleepsacks instead and never looked back. By that Monday night they were OK without the swaddles.

5. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Mine sleep longer swaddled too, and I plan to do it until they are really moving. (We use the miracle blankets)

6. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm trying to break the habit now at 6 months. (For nights and naps.) The miracle blankets were just that for us. Once we started swaddling for sleeping, they did so much better.

Edited to add- I'm trying to go cold turkey with it. We'll see though.

7. shelley79

shelley79 Well-Known Member

We used the Miracle Blankets until 8 months! They just slept so much better with them, but one night they just decided that they didn't need them anymore.

8. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

our babies loved to be swaddled up until about 3.5-4mnths, when they decided they would rather suck on their hands. So, we stopped around 3.5-4mnths. We still swaddle them at naptime - but with their arms out. Also at night we now use the sleep sacks, and they do fine sleeping. They actually like to suck their thumbs now, so they need their arms out.

GL
    Brenda

9. Janae

Janae New Member

We used the swaddle-me until about 6 months then moved into the wearable blanket/sleep sack but I sewed the armholes shut so it was like they were still swaddled but looser. They'll be 10 mo old next week and have been sleeping with their arms out for about a month now. I didn't think they woiuld ever be okay without being swaddled but like most things, they'll let you know when it's time to move on.

Good luck and congrats! Welcome to twinworld!

10. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

Still loving our miracle blankets at 5 months! I plan to stop swaddling when they are moving more. So far, they don't move much while they sleep.

11. erinkontos

erinkontos Well-Known Member

We still swaddle, but have let their arms go free for the past month. I wanted to "wean from the swaddle" but we decided to let them keep their legs in the bottom part for now. It seems to help them stay cozy for sleep.

12. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I'm still swaddling at 4 mo. and would like to stop because it is summer now but scared they will sleep horribly. Also they sleep in their bouncers for naps and I want to move them to the crib but also scared that the good naps they take now will become very short once we move them. Good luck!

13. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ckreh @ Jun 11 2008, 06:11 AM) [snapback]821054[/snapback]
    Since these are our 1st children we are learning as we go. Last night DH asked how long do we swaddle the twins at night. We recieved two sleep sacks in a size small at the baby shower, so that got him thinking. I said I didn't know, but probably for awhile since they are only 3 weeks old. Plus they wave their arms around so much that it scares them from time to time and the swaddle helps curb that.

Aw. Never had to go through this. My little ones were swaddled in the hospital and that's it. They fought it everytime, so I just stopped doing it!

14. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]We swaddled until they were a little over 5 months. DD was sooner as she liked to move around some ~ so we started using the sleep sacks with her. Both used the sleep sacks for about a month. Around 6 1/2 months we dropped the sleep sacks.

I think some babies prefer to be wrapped nice and tight...while others like to move around. Just another way that each baby is SO different ;)

April :)
    [/SIZE]