How long do you leave them in their cribs during nap time if they don't fall asleep?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I don't really know what to do with naps some days (join the club, right? ;) ).

Some days they are out within 5 minutes of me putting them down - other days they will talk and play with their loveys for 45+ minutes when they should be sleeping. They aren't crying, they just are not asleep. And it can happen so randomly that I know it isn't from me putting them down too early (and they aren't tired) or from me putting them down too late (and they are over-tired) - its just like some days they are in no mood to take that darn nap.

So, how long do you leave them in their cribs during nap times if they are not asleep?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Jori, I have always left them in there as long as they weren't crying. :good: After 45 minutes of talking, are they going to sleep? Either way, as long as they are happy, it gives you some down time. :good:

3. jjzollman

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Mar 27 2009, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1246890[/snapback]
    Jori, I have always left them in there as long as they weren't crying. :good: After 45 minutes of talking, are they going to sleep? Either way, as long as they are happy, it gives you some down time. :good:

Sometimes they actually fall asleep and then sleep for 1.5 - 2 hours and then I feel guilty b/c they spent so much time in their crib! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply, I agree with down time is VERY much needed!! :)

4. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

My 2 most always go right to sleep. But yes if they are up there talking and having time to themselves while not bothering you. LEAVE THEM!! It is still some form of rest and they are learning to entertain themselves! You need a break too!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine will usually go to sleep within 10 minutes but on the few days where they don't nap, I will let them up there for 45 minutes and then bring them down.

6. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm the mean one. Nap time is nap time. I won't give until at least an hour to an hour and a half. That's only happened a few times though. Mine do have days where it takes them 45 minutes or so to fall asleep. They rarely sleep past when they'd normally get up though.

7. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gina_leigh @ Mar 27 2009, 07:38 AM) [snapback]1246900[/snapback]
    Okay, I'm the mean one. Nap time is nap time. I won't give until at least an hour to an hour and a half. That's only happened a few times though. Mine do have days where it takes them 45 minutes or so to fall asleep. They rarely sleep past when they'd normally get up though.

You are not the only mean one, I do it exactly as you do!

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One hour. If they are still up after an hour I get them up but at least they had 1 hour of quiet time.

9. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine don't go in their cribs until they are asleep. they fall asleep in the living room and i take them each when they fall asleep. it's much better than one falling asleep in his crib first, the other going crazy, and waking him up. it's more work for me, and i don't get a break if one takes a really long time falling asleep..... however, their sleep is my first priority, so this system works for us. for now.

gl!

10. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gina_leigh @ Mar 27 2009, 10:38 AM) [snapback]1246900[/snapback]

Me too!!!! They're not crying, they can stay for awhile. Besides if I go one, I would wake up the one who IS sleeping.

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I leave them an hour and a half. Usually they actually fall asleep way before that though, even if it sometimes takes 45 minutes.

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I leave them until they fall asleep and take a nap-really no matter how long it takes. It hasnt ever taken longer then an hour.

13. -Jenny-

-Jenny- Member

In our house, we've gone for two hours of quiet chattering and playing instead of naptime. If they're not crying, I leave them alone. I think it's good for all of us to have some down time!

14. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I also had the motto that "naptime is naptime". When we were on two naps, they'd stay in the cribs for at least an hour in the mornings and two hours in the afternoon. (it was the same time every day, I just can't remember what the times were two and half years later! lol) One nap, they were in the cribs for at least 2.5 hours until they got close to 2yrs then I made the minimum 2hrs. If they slept fine, if not fine. Enjoy your down time however you get it!

15. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i didn't read the other replies, but when i put htem down at 1pm for their nap, i leave them in there until 3pm no matter what. because if they get up before they actually *wanted* to, and start crying, it means they are still tired and VERY cranky. and - tho this sounds horrible - i'd rather they stay in their cribs and cry (and hopefully fall back asleep), then sit in my lap and cry and yell at me.

(also, no matter what, someone ALWAYS gets up after a half hour of sleep, cries for a few minutes and falls back asleep. this also happens after an hour and an hour and a half. but if the crying one wakes her sister, then i know chances are no one is going to fall back asleep) i hope that made sense lol

16. jjzollman

Thank you, Everyone!! You've give me courage to be guilt-free and to implement a minimum of 1 hour in the crib! It is horrible when I get them up and they haven't slept - and then both of them want to be held for an hour or more, crying and grumpy - and pushing and hitting each other b/c they aren't happy that they have to share my lap!

17. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Yes, I am also a one hour rule kind of mom. I put mine in their crib (and I do stick toys in there for DS just in case he doesn't want to nap), DD almost always naps, but DS sometimes stays awake. If they are still awake after an hour I let them up - which with my DS is about 40% of the time, the other 60% he actually sleeps.

18. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Mar 27 2009, 11:10 AM) [snapback]1246943[/snapback]
    One hour. If they are still up after an hour I get them up but at least they had 1 hour of quiet time.

Ditto.

19. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

mine go in for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and I call it "down time" sometimes they don't sleep, but they are resting I figure.

20. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

I am a "nap time is nap time" kind of mom, sleeping or not, they stay in there.

21. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

One hour - no matter what. I don't care if they are crying or whining or playing or talking or screaming...I leave them in their for up to one hour. I think Weissbluth says the same thing. Also, I have video monitors in both rooms so I can see them and if they are screaming I can tell if they are in trouble or not...I think this really helps me not worry.

22. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I am a nap time is nap time mom too! They need their quiet down time and so do I. We are currently on two naps because some days they take both and some days they don't. I will not change it to one nap until they are up consistently for a week or two of no morning nap. But as long as they are not crying and just talking they stay in there the whole time.

23. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I try to be a nap time is nap time gal, but at times I will grab one before an hour if the other is sleeping well and she is likely to be awoken by the screamer. It is nap time that has made me want to give them each their own room. It seems one is always on a nap strike and the other is a napping angel...they just trade weeks.

24. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

I'm a mean mom too. When it's time to go down, that is it. Crying or not.