How long do you give them...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ldrane, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

DD has always been a good napper. She is our sleeper. She usually takes at least a 2 hour nap, but most of the timeit is a 2.5-3 hour nap. She has been in her crib for nearly an hour. I put them down the same time I always do, same routine and all. She still hasn't fallen asleep. She was playing for awhile, started to fuss...I went in to check on her, layed her back down and she still continued to play. Now she is starting to fuss again. What gives?

I know this is just a one time occurrence, but I am curious. I have heard others talk about having them "rest" even if they don't fall asleep. How long do you make them "rest" before you let them get up?

1 person likes this.
  2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I would say an hour or so. I always worry that if they lay there too long they may end up falling asleep and then you either have to wake them and if you don't they won't go to bed on time.

3. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

It depends on what I had planned for when they were sleeping. Usually after an hour and half if they aren't asleep or close to it, they will start to get loud again. In that case, I will remove one from their crib if their brother is sleeping (mine share a room). If they are both awake, then I may let them go a little longer, but no too much past 2 hours. My kids LOVE playing in their cribs, and usually aren't crying to get out, so I figure they are having fun.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Today it was an hour and a half. If it's just one I only let them go an hour if they are being loud b/c I'm afraid they will wake the other.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, an hour. More if they're being quiet.

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys!! I ended up getting her up at the hour mark. Like Brandy said, I was afraid if she did fall asleep at that point I would just have to wake her up an hour later or it would cause bedtime issues.

7. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I've been letting them go for about an hour, a bit longer if they both are screaming/chatting/bouncing off the crib walls for the first 30 minutes or so, which has become very common lately. Your home sounds a lot like ours nowadays!

1 person likes this.
  8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Usually an hour or a little more, for the same reason...

9. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Hehehe...that is funny Erin! You know, I have thought that same exact thing after a couple of your posts. It sounds awfully similiar. It is nice to know that some one else is "in the boat" with you. :ibiggrin: