how long did you swaddle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by hsuter, Jan 16, 2009.

1. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

Just wondering how long everyone swaddled their little ones? We are going on 4 months here. We use the swaddle me's and a few nights a week here they are starting to get their arms out of them...does that mean its time to start weaning?

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

That is what it meant for us. Mine decided on their own that they didnt want them on anymore so we just stopped using them.

3. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing - ours will not sleep without swaddling but they break free every night now. The bad thing is that once they break out they wake-up! We are going to transition to sleep blankets - we got dreamsies that have sleeves and zip-up and I am hoping that will make it easier then just stopping it completely!

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We swaddled for 6 months. They both started breaking out and to wean them we freed one arm. They stopped trying to break out as much at that point.

Then when we really did wean again we went cold turkey. My two did just fine with the transition. Hope it goes well with your two as well!

5. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

Mine started breaking out at 2.5 months old. I remember one night, when they were still so tiny, I put them in the 0-6 mo gowns, swaddled them. Later that night they started crying. They got out of their swaddle, AND they had their arms out of the gown :) It was the cutest thing ever! We probably stopped when we put them on their bellies to sleep which was about a week before 3 months of age.

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Hmm.. we swaddled ours differently. From day one ours Hated when their arms were tied down. We swaddled them nice and tight but kept the arms/hands out.

I'd swaddle them only for naps [I guess you can say more like wrapped them]. They slept better when they were nice and cozy warm.

Anyhoo, we stopped at around 2 - 2.5 months old [lol, pretty much when they outgrew those blankets and/broke free]

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We swaddled until 4 months... Then they really started fighting it and getting their arms out all the time, so we switched to sleep sacks, and we hardly noticed a difference.

8. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

We swaddled for a long time :D Probably 6 - 7 months. It helped them calm down and get ready to sleep even though they would totally break free during the night

9. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

We swaddled for a long time too. They were 7.5 months when we stopped. My doctor told me that it is safe to do it up to a year, as long as you're not keeping them swaddled during the day too.
    Breaking the swaddle was SO stressful for me. They were really good sleepers with it and I was so scared it would all revert. But my DD started breaking out every night and crying when she broke out. I didn't know if it was because she was struggling to get out or because she was out and wanted to be back in, so for a while I'd re-swaddle. It got ridiculous though so one night I just decided this was it, I went cold turkey on the swaddling. The first night was rough, DD slept all the way through (so I guess she was waking herself up trying to get out) but DS was up 6-8 times. Second night, they slept all the way through and have been since. So I stressed about nothing.
    Then again they were 7.5 months old, so they were probably past ready :rolleyes:

10. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

we swaddled until 7 months using the snug-n-tugs....

11. Fletchie

Fletchie Well-Known Member

We swaddled til they were ready to stop. For DS, it was about 3mo, for DD, she could not fall asleep without it until she started sleeping on her tummy, about 7mo. Then she didn't care.