How long after a C-Section can you start lifting the babies in there seats and driving?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kitkat72783, Jan 21, 2009.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

With my son I had a vaginal birth and i was out and about the day after he was born. Now because of the episiotomy with my son causing bowel muscle issues my OB would rather do a Csection with the twins instead of making any more problems down below. So I'm concerned about little things like how will I go to the pediatrician or someplace like that if I cant lift the babies (and there car seats), How long does it take to be able to?

2. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I had the c-section with my first one ( will have another one with twins)
    I was discharged fom the hospital on day5. my husband was with me for another week so I don't need to do that ( but I was carrying the baby at home and was doing up and down the stair. slowly but was fine. )
    so in 2 weeks after c-section I was carying the carseat and driving the car.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I was able to lift the carseats by the time we went for the babies ten day well baby visit. Yes, it was a bit uncomfortable and I had a little pain, but it was doable. :good: I started driving about two weeks after their birth. I probably could have sooner but didnt' have to. I would definately try to get some friends or family to help out, if you can, for the first few weeks. I'm sure everyone heals differently though. :hug:

4. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Jan 21 2009, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1156242[/snapback]
    With my son I had a vaginal birth and i was out and about the day after he was born. Now because of the episiotomy with my son causing bowel muscle issues my OB would rather do a Csection with the twins instead of making any more problems down below. So I'm concerned about little things like how will I go to the pediatrician or someplace like that if I cant lift the babies (and there car seats), How long does it take to be able to?

I would like to suggest that you purchase the Double Snap N Go Stroller Frame, it will make your life so much easier after a csection! it is light weight and turns on a dime. I had to have surgery when my guys were 4 weeks old, so we purchased it after we had the DuoGlider.....for the infant carriers, I can't say enough good things about the snap N go! you will be able to move around and put them in and out of it after about 7-10 days....you will be able to drive at about 2 weeks!

good luck and God Bless!

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

About 2 1/2 weeks post-partum. I was in a lot of pain for the first two weeks, but I was also on bedrest for 10 weeks before they were born so my body wasn't in very good shape to begin with. But I remember carrying them in their car seats to their first pedi appointment which was when they were 2 1/2 weeks old. It was still a lot of work, but doable. GL with the rest of your pregnancy!

6. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

On one day I feel okay about knowing that I will have to have a csection and then on another I am sick, regretting the extra down time! Good to know that we wont be down for long!

7. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

I did not heal well (had to go home with staples, and get them out a week after that) due to major swelling. But I was still able to lift the babies and carseats a few weeks after....I think it was 3-4 weeks pp for me. This is with the OB' OK - I probably could have done it myself a little earlier. GL!

8. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(doublej @ Jan 21 2009, 05:20 PM) [snapback]1156395[/snapback]
    On one day I feel okay about knowing that I will have to have a csection and then on another I am sick, regretting the extra down time! Good to know that we wont be down for long!

Let me tell you...My guys were born at 5:20 pm and by 10 pm I was WALKING to the NICU! So you don't have to be "down" for long...just have to be smart about it and not over do it!

You will be just fine !

:)

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow I am surprised by how many were allowed to drive so soon after their c/s. My ob's rules are not before your 6 wk post partum unless in emergencies, because you are still at risk of fainting spells from blood loss, blood pressure spikes or drops, and blood clots.

I do know you can lift the baby fairly soon and I was helping with carseats for my singletons within a week or two, but driving was a no-no for 6 wks. I made sure to schedule all dr appt's around my dh's work schedule so he could help me out.

10. ymillenbaugh

ymillenbaugh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MissyEby @ Jan 21 2009, 07:31 PM) [snapback]1156744[/snapback]
    Let me tell you...My guys were born at 5:20 pm and by 10 pm I was WALKING to the NICU! So you don't have to be "down" for long...just have to be smart about it and not over do it!
    You will be just fine !

:)

I was the same way. My boys were born at 6:50 pm and I was up and walking down to the NICU that evening. The next couple of days I was sore, but if i stayed ontop of the pain meds I was fine. By one week postpartem I was wishing I hadn't asked my MIL to come and stay with me for those 2 weeks they told me I wouldn't be able to drive.... =D

Granted, my boys were in the NICU, so I was getting well rested and taking care of myself for the most part. I think that is the biggest thing, just try to get as much rest as you can so you'll be able to heal quickly.

Good luck!
    yusra