How far would you travel for a birthday party

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MarchI, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

For a friend's child? I am just curious if 1 hour is out of the question.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I've driven over an hour for a friends' child's birthday party. However before these friends lived an hour away, they lived in NJ (about 2 1/2 hr drive for us). We missed this child's first birthday because that was too much of a drive for us (especially since we had twin 1 year olds at the time).

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We drove about 2 hrs for my Grandmom's 90th birthday party. I guess for me an hour is driven so often that I would consider it, especially if it was to do something special or see special people.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Totally within reason, IMO. We throw a big (40-50 people) b-day bash ever few years in the summer for all 3 of our boys and we've had family and friends drive 5 or more hours to get here. I would totally drive an hour for a friend's kid.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With traffic here an hour could be 8 miles away. I would totally drive a couple hours for a birthday party. Not so much for an acquaintance as much as family/close friends.

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

LOL, I thought you guys would say it was nuts.

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

LOL, you know how it is in this area...it takes forever to get anywhere with traffic. Put it this way, we travel an hour for hockey all the time.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Depends how close the friend is. If it was a good friend of mine and there was other adults at the party I wanted to visit with I definitely would make the trip.

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What Nini said. Around here, an hour is how far everything is. Except for your house, that's probably 30 minutes.

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Yep, I would definitely go. But...I'm also the person that would drive 2 hours just to go to the beach for the day. ;)

I have a few friends 45-60 minutes from me and would go to one of their kids' parties at the drop of a hat.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, we drive a little over an hour for cousin's b'day party, and I'd easily drive an hour for a good friend. Just an acquaintance, maybe not depends on how close our kids were.

12. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I think an hour seems like a big drive in some places where things are close and you can get to most places in a few minutes. When I was a teenager, we lived out in the middle of the Mojave desert. It was 45 minutes to get to Barstow, where there was really only fast food and a small mall. It was no big deal to drive an hour and a half to Victorville to go to a movie or do some shopping. Then I lived in Frankfurt, Germany which is quite a big city with an amazing transit system... an hour drive seemed like a long way. Currently, I drive a good half hour just to go grocery shopping, and my DH commutes 120 miles roundtrip/day. So an hour for a party isn't that big of a deal. It's just perspective.

13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I've driven 3 hours for a birthday party. One of my closest friends and her daughter is close with the boys. Totally worth it, too!

14. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I would drive an hour if it was a good friend of mine. The biggest city in my state is about an hour and I have a few friends there, so we do drive the hour to visit them, or go to the zoo with friends. I'd do the same for a b'day party.

If the party was for a friend of my kids and I didn't really know the parents, I probably wouldn't motivate for a long drive...

15. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

As long as you are inviting real friends, I think an hour is fine. I would worry that classroom friends would not come though. It also depends on how great of a party it is! I would totally drive an hour for an awesome party!

16. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

The distance I'd travel for a birthday party really depends on the occasion and the person celebrating. Recently, while planning a party, I had a great experience with My Mystery Party customer service, which made the whole process much easier. It's always nice when a company can contribute positively to your event. That said, for close friends and family, I'd definitely travel a considerable distance to be part of their special day.