How does one measure fundal height? What is normal for twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by desolation_anonymous, Jul 21, 2008.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

How does one measure fundal height? Does anyone know of a chart? For twins?

Just curious....

Apparently I've grown another (2" or 2 cm?) in one week... 21 weeks last week was 16, this week was 18.... Last week at 2o weeks my Dr. said my uterus was the size of 7 months, and I've grown another 2 (something)? (21 weeks with mono/di twins, have a growth scan tomorrow)

No wonder when people ask my due date and I tell them, their eyes grow wide and they don't believe me. I'm already HUGE :D

2. tashatank24

tashatank24 Well-Known Member

Using a tape measure with centimeters, lie on your back and find the top of your pubic bone and then find the top of your uterus. Measure the distance between the two and whatever number you get is what you are measuring. Now, this is not always completely accurate as there is a little bit of your cervix that is below your pubic bone. So you may add 2 cm. With a singleton, you would be feeling the top of your uterus at or close to your belly button, so you will probably be a bit higher than that with twins. I haven't found a measurement chart for twins. Anyone else? I am 15 weeks measuring 21... This site has a wonderful illustration of how it is done.

http://www.doereport.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=1274

3. bubrazilian

bubrazilian New Member

I'm also pretty big.... I am 25 weeks measuring 34..... as of last week.... And gaining about 7 to 9 lbs every week!!!!!!

4. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

have you tried "googling" for a chart? sorry, i didn't get a chance to look before posting. but i will say, after all my OB visits up until i was 22 weeks, my dr had no idea i was having twins. we didn't find out until our first ultrasound. so i must not have been measuring any larger than someone preg. with a singleton?? so i am thinking maybe there is no "standard" measurement. but maybe try to google it and let us know if you find anything.

best wishes for a healthy pregnancy...

5. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

My doctor measures just for fun but says that the measurement is somewhat irrelevant when dealing with twins. It's just a fun comparison. They use u/s for proper determination of growth and to make sure all is on track and fluid levels are as they should be.

6. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

My Dr too measures just for fun. He said it could be off a little since my torso is so long. At 19 weeks I measured 25. I don't think that there is a standard chart for fundal heights with twins.

7. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

My OB has measured me for giggles as she calls only a couple of times. Like the pp she says it is not very effective with twins. Ask them to do it at your appt next time-it only takes a second. It is pretty hard to do yourself at home though in my opinion. I am 27 weeks and we have not done it for a while but i do know that Baby B's head is right underneath my sternum already!!!

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My peri never measured fundal heights with twins. I had at least a quickie U/S with each visit.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Lizzybo @ Jul 23 2008, 03:17 AM) [snapback]890594[/snapback]
    My doctor measures just for fun but says that the measurement is somewhat irrelevant when dealing with twins. It's just a fun comparison.

Mine said this too. After about 20 weeks, she didn't even measure anymore unless I asked her to (just because I wanted to be able to tell my friends "I'm measuring 44 weeks!").

10. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

I'm 33 weeks and am measuring at 42 cm.

11. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

Mine said at 16 weeks I was measuring 20. I also get an u/s at every appt every 3 weeks which is fun!

12. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

I think i measured "full term" 38-39 around 26-28 weeks... from then on out I added on a little but never got more than 42 I think b/c the girls just kept growing side to side, not really out :)