How do you teach about the dangers of strangers?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by RondaJo, Jul 26, 2008.

1. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

I've been trying to teach DS about how dangerous people we don't know can be, but I don't want him to think every new person is a bad person. How do you teach your little ones about strangers?

2. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

our kids aren't old enough to understand yet but me and DH were just talking about this the other day. a friend of mine told her DD that if mommy and daddy aren't around and someone you don't know tries to talk to you never talk to them and run to whoever was taking care of you. also that unless it is someone who you see like grandma or grandpa and maybe even a select few friends they are not to talk to them or go with anyone. i think as they get older you can tell them more but for now just try to set some rules.

3. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Maybe start by telling him not to talk to people you don't know unless mom/ dad is there? It's tough when they are so young. Like you said, you don't want them to be paranoid! But, better sate than sorry. You can always teach him to use good judgemnet as he gets older.
    A little off topic- I've heard it's a good idea to teach your kids to ask a mom with kids for help if they are lost. This seems like a safe guideline.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Get this video: http://www.thesafeside.com/

It was produced by John Walsh and Julie Angier (sp?)--the lady who created "Baby Einstein"

It is really well done, and a lot of fun. It teaches kids about "safe side adults", "kind of Knows", and "don't know's". My boys haven't watched it for over a year and still will ask me if someone is a "safe side Adult". It also teaches kids how to act in a variety of circumstances. Well worth ordering--I think it is only like $13.

5. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I second that Safe Side DVD. It is really awesome. It teaches them so much without being scary. A GREAT investment!