How do you sort/organize clothes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Oct 6, 2011.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I am just finishing up sorting through summer to winter clothes. One of my boys is quite a bit smaller than the other so I am typically getting 2 seasons out of clothes – which is great.
    Here is my process
    • Pull out bins from last year and sort out what still fits or what needs to be sold/donated
    • Pull out bin of new stuff next size up that I have purchased on sale or in advance
    • Pull out all of the summer - sort what will fit smaller twin next summer and what can be saved for sale/consign next summer
    • Move everyday items from bigger twin to smaller twin dresser
    I think that is it but boy it seems like a lot. I have been doing this a little bit at a time for a couple of weeks now – maybe I just buy too many clothes.
    Any suggestions on what you do to help keep it all organized?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I feel your pain. I feel your pain. Four years into this and I still am clueless how to do this! LOL! I always run into the problem when the seasons change. What in the world do I do with the clothes from this summer, that will be able to fit them next summer?!?! Oh my head hurts thinking about it!

All I can tell you, is that after almost four years, I FINALLY got ALL of the boys clothes organized into bins and put away in the crawl space. Seriously. And I'm in trouble come next spring/summer. Like you, I have a smaller twin(2T) and one who is in 3T, but he can probably still wear everything from this summer, for next summer. And I'm buying them 4T stuff.

Yeah. I buy too many clothes too. I'm no help! LOL!

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. Can't help it LOL.

We keep the current season clothes in plastic drawers in our room (have to... they empty their dresser). The too small stuff is thrown on a huge pile in the guest room's closet. The out of season stuff that still fits is in dressers in the guest room. The stuff that is too big is in two bins in the guest room's closet as well.

I'm probably going to put all the small clothes in a bag and throw that in the donation box at toys r' us one day, although it will probably jam it LOL. Unfortunately there's no good sale in the area, craigslist is useless and I don't have the patience or courage to resell on ebay (plus DS stains his stuff a lot anyway, and I don't buy expensive brands).

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I keep one size above and one size below in plastic bins in their closet. I am fortunate that two twinstuff moms gave me 2T/3T clothes plus I still have everything from DS#1 (boys clothing fashions don't change, just the pictures on the front of the shirts). By keeping one size below, I have stuff just in case Henry doesn't grow fast enough. One size above is perfect for Jacob.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Now that they have two separate dressers and two separate closets, it's so much easier to sort/separate. I do not resell my clothes or shoes, I'd rather give them to someone who needs them, wants them, or I donate them to the drop boxes. I don't keep much either since I got my tubes tied and don't expect more kids.

So I don't keep things that are too small. Too small gets put in the top of the closet for donation. I have a bag of too small clothes in the laundry room as well. Too big, well, I'm no longer buying a size or season ahead, I'm playing it by ear. I just went to a gigantic consignment sale today and spent $58 on fifteen pieces of 5T winter clothes.

Now for the stuff that is currently being used, I put underwear/matched socks in the top drawer, the bottom drawer is for pajamas, and shirts in one drawer, bottoms in the other. If it's a matched set (top and pants) I fold them together and put them in the shirt drawer. Unmatched socks go in a bin on top of the dresser (like the socks got washed on two separate days), to be occasionally matched. Shoes are in a bin in the closet, the ones that are too big are on a hanging shelf in the closet. But it's so much easier since we now have a dresser for each child. Alice's dresses get hung up in the closet along with a few hoodies/jackets/coats.

6. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

WE usually do our sorting once per season and do it much like you. We pull out all the clothes (we keep theirs in bins/drawers) and we try everything on and take all the ones that no longer fit and put them in a bag for donation. Everything else has its own drawer, like short sleeves, long sleeves, shorts, etc. SO that helps us keep organized.

7. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't have the answer. It really is one of my most hated chores. I'd rather scrub toilets. Ug.