How do you know when to go to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jcs, Dec 4, 2006.

1. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

I guess we are all in the same boat here, but
    my question is - how will I be able to tell when it's time to go to the hospital?
    My twice-weekly NSTs have been fine, but they've been noticing lots of uterine irritability and some large contractions. I'm almost 34 weeks, and my OB told me to lie down and stay hydrated. I've felt the tightening increase lately, and am starting to feel uncomfortable, but was not dilated at all as of Friday. I asked the nurse if the real contractions will be painful, and she said not necessarily. Will I just "know"? I've had some back pain but it goes away...same with a little diarrhea the past few days. Any feedback would be appreciated!
    When I'm lying down, like now, I feel better...
    Thanks,
    JCS

2. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

I guess we are all in the same boat here, but
    my question is - how will I be able to tell when it's time to go to the hospital?
    My twice-weekly NSTs have been fine, but they've been noticing lots of uterine irritability and some large contractions. I'm almost 34 weeks, and my OB told me to lie down and stay hydrated. I've felt the tightening increase lately, and am starting to feel uncomfortable, but was not dilated at all as of Friday. I asked the nurse if the real contractions will be painful, and she said not necessarily. Will I just "know"? I've had some back pain but it goes away...same with a little diarrhea the past few days. Any feedback would be appreciated!
    When I'm lying down, like now, I feel better...
    Thanks,
    JCS

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I had the same fear. I had major cervical starting at 29 weeks because I was contracting every 2 minutes and I felt absolutely nothing! I think someone was looking out for me because my water broke in the middle of the night, we went right to the hospital and had babies within a few hours!

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finally had that feeling that something wasn't right. I thought I might as well go. I had been contracting for hours but nothing more than what I thought I had had before. When I got to L&D (I was 28w5d at that time), I actually told the nurse I was sorry and that I was probably wasting her time. Turns out I was 5cm and 50% effaced. I was sooo shocked. I can say I had a very upset digestive system that day and kept going to the bathroom. I had no appetite, thats the only real difference I can say I felt from any other day but something just told me to go. I now tell people I know...when in doubt...just GO! Who cares if you are wasting their time...its another check that your babies and you are fine!

Good luck!

5. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

Mommyof 2tg and 1ds Well-Known Member

With my ds I just knew, I was contracting every 4 minutes and as soon as I stepped out of the car at the hospital my water broke. With the girls unfortunately, I was in labor and never knew until I had an NST as usual during my twice a week ones, so to speed it up they induced me then, but I was 38 weeks and it was the NST to insure an induction would be ok so I didn't need a c-section. My labors were fast and hard. If you feel a gush of fluids, you can all of a sudden poop like 4 times in one day, or you start having traces of blood when you wipe these are all signs. Many women get a sudden boost of energy right b4 too.

6. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

My water broke for both pgs! But with Felicia, it just trickled out, so I was not sure what was happening. Dh heard me rocking and breathing hard in the LR around midnite. He came to time them and they were very close! I got to hosp and they could not confirm it was my water with the fern test etc but I was 4-5 cm so they admitted me. Felicia came 8 hours later!

My water broke with the boys too but it was a good GUSH! I am so glad I got some of those depends disposable undies! I leaked through one just on the less than 5 minute ride to hosp! They did not need to test the fluids as Zach's head full of hair was RIGHT THERE!

[​IMG] GOOD LUCK!

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I also had the same fear and fortunately for me my water broke-- which was a big clue we should get to the hospital! [​IMG] Even though my water broke and I was dialted 3cm (had been for 2 weeks) I never felt the contractions until 2 hours before they were born. Not sure how I would have known if my water hadn't broke and I wasn't feeling the contractions??