How do you keep your babies awake

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Irish38, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Irish38

Irish38 Well-Known Member

They ride with me 15 min there & back to pick up my son from afternoon preschool (when a sitter isn't watching them). Do you have any tricks for keeping them up during a ride...if they fall asleep it messes up their nap schedule. Thanks!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

Usually I hand them a toy, sing, or talk to them, and tickle their feet if necessary!

3. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I try not to take my babies in the car within 45 minutes of a nap, but I guess that's not an option if you have to pick your child up from school. I talk to my boys as I'm driving and I give them toys, that seems to help.

4. babies@2

babies@2 Well-Known Member

I've opened windows, sang the star spangled banner (I sing it kind of obnoxiously:D), put the music on, give them toys, etc....

I know what you mean about messing up their naps. Mine get really wired and charged up with only a ten minute nap in the car. I've tried transferring them to their cribs, but with very little success. I've learned that if they do fall asleep in the car, I then stop at a drive-thru and get some coffee. I try to order as quietly as possible :) And call people on the cell phone to kill about 30 minutes which is when they usually wake up.

5. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

people may not agree with this but when we have to go home from something and it is close to their nap time, i turn on the dvd player that we had installed in our minivan. works like a charm.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ Oct 8 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]439858[/snapback]
    people may not agree with this but when we have to go home from something and it is close to their nap time, i turn on the dvd player that we had installed in our minivan. works like a charm.

:rotflmbo: That is why we bought a minivan! It keeps my 3 year old occupied and I get some much needed peace and quiet on a car ride. Sometimes if they day is crazy I will put them all in the car (granted the twins cant see or hear the tv) and my DD will watch Clifford and the boys will listen to some tunes and mommy gets some much needed coffee!!

Rachel

7. Irish38

Irish38 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies!