how do you change their diapers when they won't stay still anymore?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ~ilyse~, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

It is almost impossible to change dd's and ds is almost as squirmy as she is. Give it another week or two and I am sure he will be right there with her. What do people do when this happens and you don't have someone else to hold them down?

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Hold them by their thigh, between the knee and the hip. They can't wiggle as much and you won't hurt them. HTH!

3. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

What Jenny said!

You'll learn to diaper them as they are crawling off!

4. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

I give them something they really want to play with so that they will stay on their backs - the telephone or my watch works really well for me.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Her Royal Jennyness @ Oct 16 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]453059[/snapback]
    Hold them by their thigh, between the knee and the hip. They can't wiggle as much and you won't hurt them. HTH!

This was the best advice and it really works. And now when they start to arch their backs and try and get away and I need that hand, I pin them with my forearm right in the thigh. It's hard, but it works.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask the very same thing!!!

last night I handed Miss Ava to her daddy and did not warn him - she came back with a diaper on (not right but on)
    and no clothes!! he said "changing Ava should be an olympic event!

7. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

No advice! Mine WILL NOT stay still. I have tried what Jenny said and it a no go for us since they still manage to squirm away. The worst part is they smile and laugh the whole time as I am struggleing to get their diapers on. Someone please tell me this stage will pass.

8. luxlady

luxlady Active Member

Mine are impossible to get the diaper and clothes on as well. They have been like this for the past month or so since they started crawling and it hasn't gotten any better. They seem to only get stronger. Holding by the thigh doesn't even work. It is especially tough after bath time and before bed and my DH works late so I am alone at this time. What I usually do it try various toys and that sometimes allows me to get the diaper on or at least I get it half way. Then I stand them up holding on to the crib rails and finish the diaper and put their PJ's on. I hope it gets better at some point as well because I'm exhausted after bed time!

9. kim j

kim j Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you ladies! squirmy worms!!!! I always keep some kind of toy they like - the telephone etc. near the changing area - get this - I will give them the top half of the little box my checks come in - they love this - the only time they see it is when I'm trying to dry, put lotion, clean ears, and dress in jammies after baths. so they are excited about this "new" thing and will stay somewhat still when I'm trying to dress them. I've become an expert on putting a diaper on a standing baby too. I'm glad this was posted because it's been a struggle for me too! I sweat every morning trying to get them dressed!

10. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Distractions!!! The remote usually works for Haley or if I have the Backyardigans on facing them so they can see the tv (we change on the floor using the changing pad). Megan isn't as bad, yet. Toys usually work get though, or the nail clippers, nasal stray or tub of diaper rash cream, lol.

11. ~ilyse~

I tried the toy/distraction thing and the holding the leg. Did not make any difference. It kept them from crawling away but they still twisted and turned on their sides and bellies. This all makes it very hard to put a diaper on and make sure it doesn't leak!!

12. brooke78

brooke78 Well-Known Member

Great post!!!
    My DS has been a squirmer since he discovered crawler. He kills my wrists.. Now that DD has discovered rolling over she is a roller on the changing table. It hurts to chage them. I willl try the thihg holding motion. Thanks, all for the responses.

13. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

My grandsons love me to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. Whatever they are doing or whatever they are tuned into, if I begin my rendition of the Itsy Bitsy Spider they get stock still and rapt with attention. I have turned this to my advantage with diaper changing. It had gotten to where I couldn't even hold them still to change them so one day I just thought I would give it a try. I began my rendition of the song as I was changing a diaper and lo and behold complete stillness. My husband swears it's because I sing so bad that they are laying still hoping the torture will soon end. I feel a little embarrassed when people are around because I really do sing horribly, but it works so every diaper change includes the Itsy Bitsy Spider.

14. ~ilyse~

Gave her the tube of Balmex and it worked!!!! Hope she will always like it.

15. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

Same here, DD is a NINJA :ph34r: She can flip THAT FAST. Thigh holding doesn't work with her, I have to pin her with my forearm diagonally across her tummy to chest, look out WWE! :wacko:

16. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AWerner @ Oct 20 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]459827[/snapback]
    Same here, DD is a NINJA :ph34r: She can flip THAT FAST. Thigh holding doesn't work with her, I have to pin her with my forearm diagonally across her tummy to chest, look out WWE! :wacko:

I do this too! I also say "No! Dangerous!" in a stern voice because I'm so afraid they are going to scoot right off the edge. It definitely gets their attention. I'm worried though that the days of using the changing table are numbered.

17. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

My husband swears it's because I sing so bad that they are laying still hoping the torture will soon end.

:rotflmbo:

All I know is, it's become QUITE the challenge around here, too. I've forbidden anyone from changing them on the table, because they fight so hard, I've almost had some bad accidents with babies launching themself OFF the table (luckily I've prevented a fall, but they've banged their heads on the ledge). We're changing them on the floor now.... :wacko: