How do you change a child's behavior?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MNTwinSquared, Jul 11, 2012.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Evan just turned four in April. He has had 1.5 years of preschool already and will have one more before he starts kindergarten. He is on the autism spectrum and I suspect has some low muscle tone issues. He does not have any lovey or item he treasures. He has a quirky side and can be very silly.
    He also picks up bad behavior. He learned to throw rocks and sand from older kids at Audrey's soccer practices. Now he will not stop. He knows it is wrong because he will look to see if you are watching before he does it. He has missed out on candy and activities because of this yet it does not deter him. He has gotten his bottom smacked, been sent to bed and lost privileges. Nothing helps. We have tried to vocalize that is is wrong and people could get hurt. Nothing helps. We are at a campground and I have other responsibilities like cooking, cleaning and watching the twins so watching him and being with him 100% is impossible. That said, he is never alone.

Any suggestions that has worked for you? I have never done sticker charts. It is just not something that I felt would work. I do not know. I am just plain sick of this behavior. He will also 'drink' water from the pool and then spit it out, often at people.

:help:

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Throwing rocks, while learned from another kid, might be meeting a sensory need of Evan's since he is on the spectrum. Have you tried giving him an area where he *can* throw rocks and sand. Possibly into a bucket or up against a tree, brick wall, a certain area on the ground? Sometimes with kids with autism, it is easier to give them boundaries regarding what they can do and not what they can't (heck, that works better with all kids, LOL).

If Evan knows he can throw rocks into a bucket, into a water table or a tub of water, or up against a certain tree, etc. he might be a lot less likely to throw them anywhere else.

Good luck!!

5 people like this.
  3. MNTwinSquared

Thanks Jori. If we were at home i could do that, but we do not have any sand at home, but we do have sticks. Here at campground, wherever there is sand there is a pool and at least the possibility off other kids. I will look into that.

4. MNTwinSquared

That said, i have allowed him to throw sticks into the river here. Perhaps i will do the blowing through a straw to get bubbles activity. Thanks for the ideas.

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Ugh, that's hard! :hug:

From one mom of a kid on the spectrum to another - he may not have a lovey, but is there anything he really geeks out on? Any obsessions? Those things can be great currency. For instance, right now Andrew is totally fascinated with batteries, and will spend lots of time taking them in and out of flashlights, battery chargers, etc. If I need him to listen up, all I need to do is threaten to take away the batteries. If he has a particular special interest the way kids on the spectrum so often do, I'd exploit it ruthlessly. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. MNTwinSquared

He really does not have anything. Today i caught him throwing rocks or sand at someone. I think. I guess her losses any independence he has. He has been given lots of outlets these past days to try to help curb his behavior. I have done done sensory stuff with him. Nothing is working. Thanks Holly for your input.

Sorry for spelling errors.. Typing from my phone.