How do you calculate pregnancy months

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melstofko, Jun 20, 2008.

1. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

Ok I know this sounds silly but I do not understand how to translate the weeks into months. I have heard the term "lunar months" thrown around and from my understanding that is a 4 week month. I am confused. I am gonna be 23 weeks so does that make me 5 or 6 months. My due date is October 20th and I am sick and tired of hearing my mother say "oh my gosh you still have 4 more months to go!!" Is she right? :blink:

2. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I just found an 'average' and said okay, every 4 1/2 weeks is a month. So if you're 23 wks along, you'd be about 5 months prego.

Four weeks is not enough if we're looking at 40 wks [9 months X 4 wks = 36] & [9 months X 5 wks = 45].

I hope I didn't confuse you even more ;)

3. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

You are pregnant for ten lunar months. Every third month has a fifth week... So, like the pp said, using the 4.5 week idea is easiest.

4. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

I counted a full month from the first day of my last period which is also day one of pregnancy (and how they figure out your due date). So for example, for me November 11th was the first day of my last period so on December 11th I was one month pregnant.....and July 11th I will be 8 full months pregnant. However, for me at least, on June 12th I already considered myself in the 8th month and that's what I tell people when they ask me how far along I am....probably slightly to compensate for the fact that I look about due I'm sure. I hope I didn't confuse you.

5. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

QUOTE(horizon250 @ Jun 20 2008, 05:16 PM) [snapback]837510[/snapback]
    I counted a full month from the first day of my last period which is also day one of pregnancy (and how they figure out your due date). So for example, for me November 11th was the first day of my last period so on December 11th I was one month pregnant.....and July 11th I will be 8 full months pregnant. However, for me at least, on June 12th I already considered myself in the 8th month and that's what I tell people when they ask me how far along I am....probably slightly to compensate for the fact that I look about due I'm sure. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Actually yes, that's the easiest way to think about it [and that's what I do too come to think of it :p]. Every 13th of every month I just say yeah.. I'm so and so amount pregnant.

6. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mstofko21 @ Jun 20 2008, 02:06 PM) [snapback]837489[/snapback]
    My due date is October 20th and I am sick and tired of hearing my mother say "oh my gosh you still have 4 more months to go!!" Is she right? :blink:

Well, it's June 20th today.
    July 20
    august 20
    Sept 20
    Oct 20

Yup, you still have 4 months to go to your due date. your mom is exactly right.

Now you will probably go a week or 2 early so that's something.

7. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

honestly i was always mixed up so i would look in the "What to expect when expecting" book and it would always tell me the weeks that were in specific months.

8. fishfood2

fishfood2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sv2001302 @ Jun 21 2008, 12:27 PM) [snapback]838526[/snapback]
    honestly i was always mixed up so i would look in the "What to expect when expecting" book and it would always tell me the weeks that were in specific months.

HA! that's exactly what i was going to say. of course my mom and i have disagree on what to call the months. i say i am 5 months when i'm in my 6th month (or 5.5 months or whatever) and my mom would say 6 months when she is really 5.5. caused great confusion between us until we figured out how she was counting.

9. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fishfood2 @ Jun 24 2008, 02:28 AM) [snapback]842270[/snapback]
    HA! that's exactly what i was going to say. of course my mom and i have disagree on what to call the months. i say i am 5 months when i'm in my 6th month (or 5.5 months or whatever) and my mom would say 6 months when she is really 5.5. caused great confusion between us until we figured out how she was counting.

:D

10. trustinHim

trustinHim Well-Known Member

[SIZE=18pt]This is so not a stupid question. I was JUST thinking about this the other day. I even asked my engineer husband and his engineer friend and I'm still not quite sure I know how far along I am. I have the Lily Pie ticker on my desktop which tells me, based on my due date that I'm 24 weeks pregnant, so to me, being the master mathematician that I am, I'm 6 mths pregnant. . . aren't I? Ugh, this is making my head hurt ;o)[/SIZE]

11. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(trustinHim @ Jun 25 2008, 08:57 PM) [snapback]846323[/snapback]
    [SIZE=18pt]This is so not a stupid question. I was JUST thinking about this the other day. I even asked my engineer husband and his engineer friend and I'm still not quite sure I know how far along I am. I have the Lily Pie ticker on my desktop which tells me, based on my due date that I'm 24 weeks pregnant, so to me, being the master mathematician that I am, I'm 6 mths pregnant. . . aren't I? Ugh, this is making my head hurt ;o)[/SIZE]

That is what I always thought too, but that is using "lunar months". I forgot to ask my OB again today!!

12. trustinHim

trustinHim Well-Known Member

I've got the lunar month thing, since I don't know the exact date of my LMP because we did fertility it's hard for me to understand when to START from so I go from the end date.
    I know I have 4 months left but people think I only have 3 months which makes my hugeness not so odd!! Silly people ;o)