How do I transition my son from sleeping in a swing to his crib

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by smiley7, Apr 18, 2010.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Hi there!

DS has reflux and he seems to be much better now that he is on prevacid but he is still having a hard time sleeping flat, probably out of habit now. The swing was our life saver. I would like to try and transition him back to sleeping in his crib but so far it's not working too well. At some point I give up so we can both get some sleep. Any ideas on how to transition him back? Are there any gadgets or anything?

TIA,
    Anna

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Have you tried elevating his mattress with a wedge? That might help. I would start him off with naps in his crib and slowly move towards night time sleeping.

3. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

will he allow you to move him after he's already fallen asleep in the swing? You could also do CIO to get him to fall asleep in his crib rather than the swing. Painful, but ultimately may be your fastest and most effective strategy.

4. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

We started at nap time and some days would only get about a 15 minute nap but each day was better and then they would never nap in those swings again. In fact mine hardly used them after 3 months. They love to sleep flat, which can be a pain if we are out and about. They dont love sleeping in a stroller!

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would elevate the head of the crib and see if that helps. We waited until about 4 months and started doing the morning nap in the crib and then just went cold turkey in at night without issue from the swing. Glad the reflux is getting better.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with elevating one side of the mattress. My boys took their naps in their swings until six months old. One day, I said that was it-and just moved them right in their crib without issues(they went in their cribs for bedtime at four months old). I would start trying to elevate him in the crib, or what about maybe putting a bouncy seat in there so he's still propped up?