How accurate was your final growth scan vs. birthweights?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by momlissa, Mar 9, 2007.

1. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

I just had my 36 week appt and final growth scan yesterday. I know that those size estimates can be off by quite a bit at times, so was just wondering how accurate they had been for you guys compared to their birth weights (if the scan had been done relatively close to the time you gave birth?)

Thanks in advance!

Mods, can you link this to The First Year forum? Thanks!

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had my last growth scan at 35 weeks (or 34 weeks and 6 days) and delivered at 36 weeks (exactly) - they were very off:

Jake 4lbs 4 oz (u/s) - 3 lbs 8 ounces at birth
    Becca 5 lbs 5 oz (U/s) - 4 lbs 12 ounces at birth

That being said, getting them to 36 weeks was key, Becca was completely fine, but as you can see my from my sig, Jake needed some Nicu time.

Miriam

3. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

I had a growth scan done at 27 weeks 5 days - when they thought I was going to have them: Baby A was 2 lbs 13oz and Baby B was 2lbs 8oz.
    I had the boys at 29 weeks 3 days and those were their exact weights when born - the ones predicted a little over a week before - Definately not accurate - as you would have assumed they would have grown in that time period.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My was right on for Jazzy even after 3 days and Jessy's was just a few oz off

5. kcole

kcole Well-Known Member

Mine were WAY off! I went in on Tuesday and they measured:

Keaton - 7 pounds, 9 ounces
    Logan - 7 pounds, 2 ounces

When they were born two days later, they were 6.5 and 5.11 respectively. WAY OFF!

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Mine was pretty good.

20w ... almost a pound
    26w .... over 2 1/2 pounds each
    30w .... 4lbs5oz and 4lbs6oz
    34w ... lower 6lbs range
    38w2d ... born at 7lbs11oz and 7lbs10oz.

They always measured 2 weeks ahead at a regular singleton rate ... and continued to do so ...

7. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

My dd had growth checks every other week by her MFM and only two the entire pregnancy by her ob's office. She had her last check at the ob 2 days before delivering at 36w 1d and they were off by 1 ounce each. I was really surprised since she had all these high tech growth scans by one of the top MFM's in Houston and an ultrasound tech in a regular old ob's office was SO accurate!
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie and Nana to
    Cameron and Corey

8. Mine were off by a pound for each kiddo!

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had my last growth u/s in December with Liam. They said he measured a little over 5 lbs. I was a bit surprised to give birth to an almost 9 lb baby in January!

10. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Last u/s was 35 weeks and peri said they were 6.5-7 lbs. They came 5 days later and were 5-8 and 5-13 [​IMG]

11. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

Mine were pretty close! We had an u/s 4 days before birth and it was only off a couple ozs.

Baby A u/s: 7lb, 8 oz - actual 7lb, 6oz
    Baby B u/s: 7lb, 10oz - actual 7lb, 13oz

12. momlissa

Thanks, everyone! It's so interesting how some are WAY off and some are pretty close. It'll be interesting to see where I fall in this. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

13. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Mine were just a few ounces off and I believe extremely accurate since I delivered almost a week after my last estimates.

14. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

Mine was hugely off....at 35 weeks and 3 days I was told they both measured 7 lbs even, well they were born at 36 weeks ( 4 days later)weighing 4'13 & 5'4 - not even close.
    They also had TTTS. P [​IMG]

15. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

My final ultrasound I think had them each at 5 pounds 8 ounces and that was around 35-36 weeks. They were supposed to be about an ounce apart. When they were born at 37 weeks 2 days, Connor was 5 pounds 5 ounces and Chase was 6 pounds 8 ounces. And Chase was my Baby B, which was supposed to be the smaller one!

16. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

In our case, the u/s estimates were within a couple of ounces. I had the same doctor doing our u/s every single week since 19 weeks though so we had that degree of stability that allowed us to get really good measurements.

17. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

I had a grwoth scan at 34w 3d (the day before I delivered) and they approx. Baby A at 4lbs.6oz. and Baby B at 4lbs.8oz.

Born at 34w 4d -

Baby A was 6lbs. 2oz.

Baby B was 4lbs. 14oz.

So, I guess they were not accurate and accurate...

18. becky5

becky5 Guest

With Jacob, they were off by a pound! Emma was right on! [​IMG]

19. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

My last growth scan was at 37 weeks and they were telling me the girls were 7lbers. I had them an 39 weeks and they were low 6lbers. So they were about a lb off.

20. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I haven't had twins yet, but as for my singletons I've had two very different experiences w/ to different u/s technicians.

With DS I had an u/s two weeks before he was born he measured 7lbs. 4oz., two weeks later born at 8lbs. 5oz. That is pretty darn close if you use the 1/2 pound/week standard weight gain for baby at that point in pregnancy.

With DD I had the last u/s one week before birth. They also measured her 7lbs. 4oz. and a week later she was born at 6lbs. 11oz. So I would guess they must have been off by at least a pound.

I would think with twins it would be harder to get accurate measurements than with singletons. But would also depend on how active the babies are during the u/s.

21. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

the last scan

A: 6 pounds 11oz
    B: 7 pounds 3 oz

at birth

A: 6pounds 9.5oz
    B: 6pounds 8.4oz

22. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

I had a scan about a week before my girls were born and the estimates were within a couple of ounces of the estimates.

23. momlissa

How fun! My boys are here, so now I get to answer my own question! [​IMG]

One week before delivery (35w 6d) the u/s estimated their weights to be:

5 lbs 12 oz
    5 lbs 15 oz

I delivered one week later and their birthweights were

Both were 6 lbs 7 oz

The u/s tech predicted that they would be around 6 lbs 6 oz, so she was pretty close! Also, it was the same technician that did the u/s the last 3 times.

Anyhoo! Turned out to be dead on accurate for me! Surprising!

24. Suz7171

Suz7171 Well-Known Member

I can only remember one because I was drugged up on magnesium sulfate.

Baby B was estimated to be 4lbs 1 oz. He was born 4 hours later and weighed 3 lbs 6 oz.

25. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

way way off...my last growth scan was at 34w and they estimated Ian at 5.5 lb and Abby at 4.5 lb...I delivered at 36 weeks and they were 4.5 lb and 3.5 lb - no NICU time though