Hospital bottle nipples

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kdanielleflowers, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

DD was in the NICU for 20 days and grew accustomed to the hospital bottle nipples (Enfamil disposables). They are nothing special, very plain, but a firm rubber regular flow nipple, but they don't sell them to the public. Now, she won't take any of the ones I have at home for more than half a bottle. I've tried Gerber, Parent's Choice and Dr. Brown's stage 1. All are very plain, similar to the Enfamil. Thankfully, the hospital loads us up on the disposables every few days as my other DD is still in the NICU. However, she'll be home soon and we'll run out of the disposables eventually!

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to find something that worked?

ETA: on the Dr. Brown's, she completely collapses the nipple in her mouth.

2. nana2three

nana2three Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinsInFL @ Jan 19 2009, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1153428[/snapback]
    DD was in the NICU for 20 days and grew accustomed to the hospital bottle nipples (Enfamil disposables). They are nothing special, very plain, but a firm rubber regular flow nipple, but they don't sell them to the public. Now, she won't take any of the ones I have at home for more than half a bottle. I've tried Gerber, Parent's Choice and Dr. Brown's stage 1. All are very plain, similar to the Enfamil. Thankfully, the hospital loads us up on the disposables every few days as my other DD is still in the NICU. However, she'll be home soon and we'll run out of the disposables eventually!

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to find something that worked?

My daughter is using the Dr. Browns premie nipples....I'm not sure that is alot different than the stage one......but her boys are doing good on them. Hope this helps! Nana

3. MomofNickandSuzy

MomofNickandSuzy Active Member

We had the EXACT same problem. We tried numerous nipples and could not find any that worked. We ended up ordering on line some of the hospital nipples. Ours were similac. I hand wash them and reuse them. I replace them about once a week. I periodically try other nipples but they still do not like any others. Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

The other thing to do (which I had done this) is take your bottles/nipples into the hospital so they get used to other bottles.

Thanks, Kate

quote name='TwinsInFL' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:16 PM' post='1153428']

[/quote]

4. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Are you sure they don't sell them? We were sent home with Enfamil grad-u-feed bottles and lots of spare nipples as well. We used them for quite a while. I found other uses for the bottles and bought some more from Enfamil or their parent company Mead Johnson directly. I also remembered seeing the nipples out there, too, though I thought they came in cases of 100+.

Found them! https://www.meadjohnson.com/app/iwp/consume...ductCategory.do Not sure which one you use, but there is quite a variety out there.

ETA: can't seem to fix the link. Select the accessories tab and then use the drop down to select Nipples.

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We had the same problem. It was even worse, b/c we were on a Similac formula study and the boys used those disposable bottles for 3 months! I got an entire bag from the hospital (cry on a nice NICU nurses shoulder) and then washed them in warm soapy water and reused them. I kept a few in the sterilized containers for traveling, but they held up well for a while. I then found the Soothie nipples to be the best (since that's the paci the NICU gave them). Good luck!

6. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

My boys took to those nipples also and I've just been washing them in hot soapy water. They are in perfect condition. Plus, I realized that they fit the medela bottles, so I've been using them with those nipple rings. This works out great since I can then put a top on the bottle and put in the fridge.

7. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

My girls were in the NICU too, but I just saved all of the nipples. Just because the NICU throws them out doesn't mean you have to. I also bought Medela nipples. They really have had no problem using any kind that I give to them though. Hope that helps!

8. Fletchie

Fletchie Well-Known Member

We reused the hospital ones, then bought Evenflo Slow nipples. They are exactly the same shape and she was able to handle them fine.

9. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

The same nipples are sold at enfamil.com
    However, babies do get used to other nippels... I had bought some disposables one for when we go out and when I gave it to them they gave me an ugly face...took it because they were hungry but definelty not their favorite anymore.

10. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We had the same issue. I washed and reused the stash I had collected as long as I could. After that we tried every bottle out there. The only one they could both use was the NUK Orthodontic - they are not BPA free though. So when we switched to big bottles we went through all the trial and error again and settled on the gerber bottles with the Dr. Browns nipples. If they are collapsing it you might try the next stage for a little while. The hole will be bigger and the milk will come out easier. I found that we didn't use the preemie nipples and moved to stage 2 (NUK) quickly because the disposables our NICU was using didn't seem to be slow flow.