Homeschoolers

Discussion in 'General' started by mel&3, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm thinking of homeschooling my brood, but I'm just a bit worried about Caleb. I think it's going to be really neat for the girls to have each other as peers while homeschooling, even though I'm sure they'll excel at different things at different rates, but I'm worried that Caleb will miss out a bit because he's the singleton, a boy, and he's 2 years younger than his sisters. There are TONS of ways to socialize homeschoolers in my town, as well as LOTS of other opportunities for homeschoolers to learn in different environments, like co-ops, etc, and I know that other people successfully homeschool their only-children and multiple singletons all the time, but for some reason it just makes me a bit nervous. Can anyone offer similar stories where they had success or found ways to manage this type of scenario?

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

We belong to a homeschool co-op that meets once/week. We attend church on Sundays. And my boys both play baseball. Adam also plays soccer (and Trey might this year, too) and Sage does cheerleading. She also is considering attending the local middle school for band next year. These are all ways to interact with other kids, besides normal things like having friends over to play.

I bet by the time Caleb is school aged, if you had already started homeschooling your girls, you'd find that you and the children are as busy as most homeschoolers I know with various activities and you'll forget it was even a question!

3. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

Before we started "schooling" my oldest daughter, she was the tag-a-long for all her brothers' homeschooling activities. There were plenty of other younger siblings in attendance. She made lots of friends before we even started the whole schooling process with her. I think you will find the same with your singleton. There will be plenty of parents attending these events with younger children. Caleb will find lots of friends and make his own way :)