homemade wipes

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by scrappycindy, Apr 13, 2010.

1. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

Does anyone use cloth/reusable wipes for diaper changes? Do you make a solution to use with them? Do you wash them with your diapers? Thanks for the info. We've been using FuzziBunz for about 2 months, and have just run out of wipes we got for baby showers.

2. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I use cloth wipes and make my own wipe solution. For bigger, poopy jobs I use paper towels cut into small sections. The wipe solution makes them soft.

For the wipe solution I use a few squirts of baby wash, a few squirts of avocado oil, and some tea tree oil and mix it with water.
    For the cloth wipes I just cut up a bunch of old socks, some flannel PJs, and any other old scraps I had around the house with soft fabric. They are not pretty, but they work for wiping butts! ha.

I do wash them with the diapers. We use fuzzibuns too and Kushies.

There are a lot of great wipe solution recipes on line. It saves us a lot of money, and now that I am used to making it every week or so it does not feel like any extra work.

Good Luck!

3. foxynursejo

foxynursejo Member

I sew flannel wipes, 8 x 8. I don't make a solution. Just fill the wipes warmer with the wipes and water. I wash with the diapers. It would be a PITA using disposable wipes, throwing the wipe in the trash and the diaper in the pail. This way, just toss everything in the diaper pail and your done!

4. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I've had problems with detergent residue on my Fuzzi Bunz, so I stopped using oil on the wipes, so I normally do the following for wipes:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp vinegar
    then I rub a bar of Dimpleskins avocado soap into the water

Makes up 6-8 wipes, basically enough for a day (for one kid). I put the wipes into a wipes warmer. I even threw out the "pillow" and just use a flannel pad in the bottom soaked with water that I change every other day.

You can also just keep your wipes dry and use a spray bottle (or your peri bottle from the hospital :lol:) to squirt the wipe before using.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I sewed my own wipes too... at first I made 8x8, now I make 5x8 and do double sided flannel. they lay flat in the wipes warmer and you don't have to fold etc. that was my dh's idea... and it works out great.

we just have a big cup of water that we pour in. i was going to use a special solution, but again, my dh's idea that the hospital didn't use anything but water, so we take the easy road and just use water.

if anyone wants to know... disposable wipes wash in the washer just fine! I did it a couple of times at the beginning accidently and then realized I don't have to stress to throw the disposable wipes out separately. everything just goes in the diaper pail.

if you go to make your own flannel wipes, I've gotten 12 to 15 double sided wipes from 1 yard of flannel.

I should make me a whole new set b/c mine are such a mismash! Everytime I make some for a friend I keep one so that I have a bunch of cute misc. patterns that make me smile when I see them and think of the baby that pattern was made for.

hope you find something that works for you!

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I had to laugh... 6-8 wipes a day?! good for you. ahhhhh for some of our dirty diapers I use 4 to 6 alone! I think I must have 60 or 80 wipes in my 2 day rotation... :)