Homemade laundry detergent ?

Discussion in 'General' started by christinam, Aug 31, 2011.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I'm new to this. I bought the Borox and washing soda. Now I just need the bar soap. Im going off the recipe that uses Fels Naphia (sp) soap. If I can't find this what other options do I have? I looked back and can't find other detergent posts.

Also can I use this with cloth diapers? I assume so because it doesn't have all the added chemicals like name brand detergents.

2. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I don't make my own detergent but I do know you should check manufacturers instructions when using the recipe. Soaps, such as Fels Naptha cause fire resistant material to lose their resistance. Some children's bedding and pj's and such are flame retardant and your recipe will negatively affect that. Good luck!

3. christinam

That's not an issue here. The girls don't wear those type of sleepers.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I make soap with that recipe. I just ordered a bar of Fels Naptha from Amazon.com. It's pretty cheap ($3- I have free shipping due to Amazon Mom), but I've heard that places like Ace Hardware have them. I'm going to scout around for it before the next batch. I split my 5 gal recipe with a friend (family of 5) and it lasts us MONTHS. The best part is we go in on the cost- next time she'll buy the soap and the scent we add (usually lavender).

5. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I made laundry soap when we didn't have two pennies to rub together. The ingredients cost me about $20/year. Equal parts borax, washing soda and shaved Fels Naptha. I found mine in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. Albertson's, Harris Teeter, etc have always had it. It's about $1.50/bar in the stores. I just did a dry powder recipe, put through the food processor to evenly distribute the ingredients. I used 1-2 tablespoons per load. It cleaned quite well. Pretreat stains by wetting the spot and then rubbing with a bar of Fels Naptha.

I never tried another type of soap. If you have an ethnic grocery, especially Hispanic/Latino, near your home, look there for bar laundry soap. Hand washing clothes is common in Latin America, so the bar soaps are popular.

6. christinam

Thanks ladies! I havent looked for it yet. If I can't find it I'll buy it online. :) I'm really excited to make the laundry soap. We use so much detergent. We could really save some cash!!

7. cheezewhiz24

I have a front loader so I'm only using a 1/4 cup per load... I think if I wasn't splitting the recipe it'd last me a year ( my friend has a top loader which uses 5/8c)

8. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Christina, Kroger's carries Fels Naptha. It is in the laundry aisle on the top shelf near all the fancy detergents. I know not all Kroger's have it, but the one near me (in Latonia) does. I've never checked the one near you, but I would guess that they should have it there since it is a good sized store. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

9. christinam

Thanks Stacy!!! I just put in my other message about trying to make detergent. Lol If my store doesnt carry it I'll go to Latonia store next week when we go to Otterville.

10. christinam

I have a top loader too so I'll have to use more. I'm hoping to get another washer/dryer this fall or next spring. I should say this is in addition to my current set. I'll have two sets. But anyway, I'm going to get a front loader then.

11. Stacy A.

I have a top loader and only use about 1-2 Tbsp per load. That is what my recipe called for and I haven't had any problems. :unknw: The recipe last me several months.

12. cheezewhiz24

We must have different recipes :) - I tried skimping with my soap (I'm used to using hardly any with a front loader) and it did NOT get my clothes clean. Once I went to 1/4c per load it worked just fine. :)

13. christinam

I believe Stacy uses powder not liquid. That would make a difference.

14. christinam

I'm thinking I'm going to make the powder instead.

15. Stacy A.

Yes, I use powder. Sorry for the confusion. I realized later, after I was gone, that you were probably referring to the liquid.