homemade bubble solution

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever made homemade bubble solution? Did it work well?

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I haven't, but I *have* added extra dish soap to store-bought bubble solution. I find the store stuff doesn't make great bubbles, so adding some soap gives it extra "ooomph". I also heard that adding Karo syrup makes the bubbles stronger, but all it did for me was to make them leave little stringy things all over when they burst. <_<

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I used 1 part Dawn or Joy dishsoap to 15 parts water...more simply, 1 Tablespoon dishsoap to 15 Tablespoons of water. Gently mix so you don't make suds!!! I put the mixture in the old bubble container.

The bubbles are SO MUCH better than the store-bought solution!

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've heard that if you add glycerin to the dish soap & water mixture, the bubbles will last longer.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My mom's recipe always included glycerin. Dawn, glycerine and water. I'm not sure of the ratio.

6. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I use this recipe...
    1/4 Dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn)
    3/4 cup water
    5-6 drops of glycerin

If you want a bigger batch use 2/3 cups soap, 1 gallon of water and 2-3 Tablespoons Glycerin.
    The glycerin makes the difference, you can even make bubbles with your hands!

7. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

This is the recipe that we have used. The glycerin really makes a big difference. :good:

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I used one (it made an enormous bucket of bubble stuff -- I should have scaled it down!) that was, I believe, 3 cups dish soap, 4 cups water (i.e., a very high ratio of dish soap to water), and 1/2 cup corn syrup (Karo).

It worked pretty well, but you still have to be very careful not to make bubbles when you dip the wand in. I skimmed off the bubbles from the top every 5 minutes with a soup skimmer -- that helped.

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just made a batch using this recipe. We won't have time to try it out today, but hopefully we'll be able to do it tomorrow.