Hives (i think)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by doubledownmom, Oct 28, 2007.

1. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. One of my daughters has hives around her belly button area, the inside of her legs and some on her hands & forearms. We noticed them this morning and they have progressively gotten redder and the ones inside her legs have a white area in the middle of them. I have given her 1 teaspoon of benadryl. She has been on amoxicillin for one week and augmentin for another week (for double ear infections). She just finished the augmentin yesterday.

My question is: what do I do now? Just keep giving her the benadryl every 6hrs? Can she go to day care tomorrow?? What in the world caused this????

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

If the hives are getting worse, even after Benadryl then you probably should take her back to the doctor. Especially if she has been on medication. It could possibly be a reaction to the antibiotics. My son did the same thing, got a horrible rash that looked like hives and it just kept getting worse even with Benadryl. Took him to the doc and it was a strep infection. We have been to the doctor twice over the infection. Just can't seemed to get rid of it. Not saying that hers is this type of case, but if Benadryl isn't working, it may be something that needs attention.

3. R2cuties

R2cuties Well-Known Member

I would call the doctor as this could be a reaction to the meds. My daughter breaks out in hives often if because she is very sensitive to perfumes, detergents, etc. , but yours could be the meds.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

l would call the doctor

5. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I would call the dr. too..

Keep us posted,

Missy

6. Annen

Annen Well-Known Member

This happened to Sapir after taking penicillin for a day or two. I took her to the doctor and the doctor said that she was allergic to prenicillin.

When Hadas first was perscribed penicillin... she also reacted this way and it turns out that she is also allergic to it.

Definitely call your doctor and go see him/her again. They will tell you what dose of Benedryl is required and will probably want to see your daughter.

Your daughter can go to preschool/daycare with hives.... but just be sure to tell the provider what it is because they will see spots and that they are ichy and they will wonder if it's chicken pox.

Good luck!

7. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like a reaction to all the penicillin-based antibiotic. Augmentin is a combination antibiotic of amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium. Call the doc. They'll probably switch her to azithromycin next if she still needs to finish out some time on antibiotics. Does this mean that she has an allergy to penicillin? Not necessarily. If she's been on it for as long as it sounds like she has been, it's conceivable that her body has just has as much of it as it can handle because it's pretty strong stuff. Prolong exposure to some meds or creams or ointments can cause adverse reactions. I'd stop the Augmentin now treat with Benadry and contact doc to get different med prescribed.