Hives from yogurt.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christie76, Mar 12, 2009.

1. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I've been giving Ellie yogurt for at least a month now. I noticed she gets red around her mouth, but she has sensitive skin and it gets red just from wiping or from her rubbing it. At her 9-month appt. the dr. said we can start doing yogurt and I told her we already did. She asked if she had any hives, etc. I don't think I ever really noticed any before today. After lunch she had 3 red spots with a little whitehead in the middle. I assume that's a hive. How horrible do I feel now? I called the nurse at the pedi's office and she told me to stop the yogurt and give her Benadryl if I thought she needed it. She seems fine otherwise. I wonder if she's had hives from it before. I think I'd notice. Anyways, have any of you had your children tested for allergies at such a young age. I have a PPO, so I don't need a referral. I go to an allergist for myself and was thinking of making an appt. just to see what she might be allergic to. Is this a good idea or is she too young? She's on Nutramigen since she was 2-3 months old for GI issues. She also has had eczema since she was very young. I have a feeling she's going to have some sort of allergy/asthma issues. I'd love to hear from other moms who have dealt with this.

Thanks,
    Christie

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I had one of mine on Alimentum (Similac's version of Nutramigen) until after his first year. He tested slight positive at 6 weeks for a potential milk allergy. I bet that might be what is going on with your little girl. I would stop the yogurt and see the allergist. Because if you have a dairy allergy you might have a soy allergy as well and the sooner you stop giving it the sooner it is supposed to go away. I hope you get some answers. Oh and the eczema and the food allergy can be related.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't dealt with this but could you call the allergist's office and tell them about your situation and see if they think she should come in and be tested? I don't know anything about allergies.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot about allergies either, but I'd stop the yogurt for a few days to see if it clears up and talk to the pedi about how to proceed.

5. christie76

I asked while I was at the allergist today and they said I might as well make an appt. if I don't need a referral. They can do a blood test. I go in a couple of weeks. We'll see what happens. I know they can outgrow the milk allergy, but I'm nervous about other food allergies. It's always something, isn't it?

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(christie76 @ Mar 12 2009, 07:24 PM) [snapback]1225686[/snapback]
    I asked while I was at the allergist today and they said I might as well make an appt. if I don't need a referral. They can do a blood test. I go in a couple of weeks. We'll see what happens. I know they can outgrow the milk allergy, but I'm nervous about other food allergies. It's always something, isn't it?

It sure is! Please keep us posted with how your little one is doing :hug:

7. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

What you are describing- red with a white head- does NOT sound like hives. Here's how they are descrivbed by WebMD:
    "Urticaria, also known as hives, is an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps or plaques (wheals) on the skin that appear suddenly -- either as a result of the body's adverse reaction to certain allergens, or for unknown reasons.

Hives usually cause itching, but may also burn or sting. They can appear anywhere on the body, including the face, lips, tongue, throat, or ears. Hives vary in size (from a pencil eraser to a dinner plate), and may join together to form larger areas known as plaques. They can last for hours, or up to one day before fading."

One of my twins has broken out in hives twice and it was sudden and went away just as fast after an hour or so. They can last for days though, as they did on me when I had a drug reaction. They are really uncomfortable! For my son (and for me), the hives varied in size and were all over the trunk of his (and my) body. Some were very red and quite flat and large. Others were about the size of a pencil eraser and were more pale in color.

I would still do allergy testing for foods like you are planning. However, keep in mind it may not be the yogurt, it could be that you've been feeding strawberry yogurt (just an example) and the strawberries cause a rash or that she is like my boys, sensitive to many things with lots of eczema! My boys outgrew their only diagnosed allergy, a milk protein allergy after the age of 2 and the eczema stopped a few months ago, thank goodness. They never could figure out what was causing the eczema in my boys with multiple blood and skin allergy tests. You never know and can't tell what will cause reactions! I hope you can get to the bottom if it and everything is just fine!

Kelly

8. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I've been feeding the babies YoBaby this past week. They love it. Today, I noticed small, raised red blotches on DD back and now I think it's the yogurt:( I'm getting in touch with the pedi now:(

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I hope you get some answers... my ds started getting red cheeks the week I started something new... and I worried that it was food related... but I didn't think it was - we're in Florida and it was also COLD that week.... Anyway, I quit giving him that and when it warmed up again I gave it to him again and no red cheeks... then sure enough when it was cold he got the red cheeks.

I hope you get to the bottom of your issue, it may or may not be food related.

10. christie76

So, the red spots with a whitehead in the middle isn't a hive? I wonder what it is. I might as well bring her in, just to see if she has any allergies. It will make me feel better. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!!!

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

If you're going to have the blood test done, make sure they test for ALL of the common allergies: dairy, soy, wheat, corn, peanuts, tree nuts, strawberries, shellfish, egg whites, etc. I can't remember them all. They're going to be taking blood anyway, so get answers to all of your potential questions now, rather than wondering later.

FYI - I did allergy testing for my girls when they were about 14 months old. Make sure you bring one adult per child because you'll have to hold the baby getting the blood drawn and your other one (if she's there) will have no where to sit. It's also really stressful watching your child scream and cry while having blood drawn, so a second set of hands is helpful.

12. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Your daughter may have had a mild allergic reaction, but she does not have hives.

3 red spots and a whitehead in the middle is not hives. Hives don't get whiteheads in the middle unless they are numerous, nasty, and are infected (like from poison oak.) Trust me- if she had them you'd know. I've had them TONS and they look like this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

However, I DO think she is MILDLY allergic to something in the yogurt. Red irritation around the mouth shows a topical sensitivity, i.e. skin is reacting, but perhaps not her whole system. I.e. she would probably show up as mildly allergic on a skin prick test, but not have a reaction if she swalowed it without it getting around her mouth. It might be the coloring, or sweeteners. Best to stop now. You may want to ask your doctor about trying plain yogurt that you add your own sweeteners and flavor to later (sugar). My guess is it isn't the yogurt, but something in it that she is sensitive.

However, I do think you should ask if she could get a referral to an allergist (see what your pediatrician says). Eczema (sp) can be really irritating, and your gut feeling is probably right about her allergies in general. Mommies tend to have good gut feelings about their little ones.

13. desolation_anonymous

QUOTE(amelowe9 @ Mar 12 2009, 09:18 PM) [snapback]1225936[/snapback]
    I've been feeding the babies YoBaby this past week. They love it. Today, I noticed small, raised red blotches on DD back and now I think it's the yogurt:( I'm getting in touch with the pedi now:(

Those do sound like hives amelowe9. talk to the pedi and see if you can give him an antihistamine for relief.

From personal experience, hives ITCH awfully.

14. desolation_anonymous

QUOTE(christie76 @ Mar 13 2009, 07:08 AM) [snapback]1226191[/snapback]
    So, the red spots with a whitehead in the middle isn't a hive? I wonder what it is. I might as well bring her in, just to see if she has any allergies. It will make me feel better. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!!!

I personally think it is skin irritation that may have been scratched/exacerbated.