Hip Pain after Hospital Bedrest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by erinrshmalo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. erinrshmalo

erinrshmalo Active Member

Hi everyone,

I was admitted to the hospital on Saturday for a shortened cervix (1.6cm) at 29 weeks, 4 days and contractions. They stopped my contractions with Terbutaline and I was released today, with the instruction to be lying down unless I'm using the bathroom or making something to eat. I've noticed that after two days of full and complete bedrest, my hips are killing me! I didn't have this experience prior to the bedrest, and am wondering if it's from the inactivity. Has anyone else had the same experience? What do you do for the hip pain?

In addition, did any one else experience major shakiness from the terbutaline? I have been told this will subside, but so far, I remain quite jittery and have the worst indigestion.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

E-girl
    29 weeks, 6 days
    b/g twins

2. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest for a month, and I remember my hips and bum killing me! I tried to alleviate the pain with lots of pillows, and sometimes a heating pad...(I didn't use it too much, because I was freakazoid about it harming the babies - which I think as long as it is not used on your belly, you are fine!)

The terb made me shake a ton as well...it went away - can't remember how long it took.

Hang in there and keep those babies cookin!

3. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

:wavey:

I had hip pain that would just make me cry! Just know that it goes away almost immediately when they are born! Keep them in as long as you can!

Oh, and I had the shakes from the Terb. and the indigestion is from being in bed while you eat or soon after! I was in bed for 28 weeks. REALLY! You can do this!!!!

4. erinrshmalo

Thanks Ladies!

5. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

I cant stand the terb shots! It definitely took awhile for the shakiness to subside but it drove me nuts. I also know the hip pain all too well. Some days its worse than others, but its definitely a constant. Good luck girl and hang in there! :grouphug:

6. pittmane

pittmane Well-Known Member

When my hips start hurting really bad, I bring out the memory foam pillows. It helps some - takes some pressure points off anyhow. We also put a memory foam pad on the bed and that has helped tremendously. I've only had the terbutaline once (2 shots and a pill) but it was at night and by the next morning the shakiness had worn off. Good luck - we're at about the same point in our pregnancies, but I have been lucky (so far) and not had any changes to my cervix. Will find out more tomorrow am at the perinatologist.

7. dmildred

dmildred Active Member

My hips hurt so badly from week 20 on....I was on bedrest starting week 30, and then it got even worse. They still hurt to lay on my sides (and I LOVE to sleep in the fetal position) till 5 weeks after I delivered. They told me it would go away right away...5 weeks didn't seem like "right away" to me. Anyway, I'm just glad that I've been able to sleep comfortably on my sides the past 2 weeks! GL!

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I did not take terb, so not sure on the shakiness. But for the hip pain I gut a really big u-shaped pill, top of one side under my head, then it ran along my back, and the other top went between my knees. This got rid of the hip pain. It hurts, I remember!

Hang in there, bedrest is really hard but very worth it in the end. I endured 15 weeks of it, 4+ of them in the hospital.

9. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I was reading something yesterday that did not recommend lying on your side because having one hip directly over the other was hard on them...it suggested using 1 or more body pillows or even a lifering from the swimming pool so you could get more onto your stomach (without squashing the babies LOL). I'd also suggest a recliner, if you have one, for a change. I'd suggest some light stretching when you're up too to work out the kinks.

10. erinrshmalo

Thank you so much! My hip pain has diminished and I find that walking just a bit during the day does help. The terb shakiness and indigestion has waned, which is so nice--everytime I was lying down I felt like I was choking. I have noticed that right around the five hour mark (I take the 5mg of terb every six hours) I really feel like I need more meds. I'm thinking that as soon as the docs take me off of it at 34 weeks, I'm going to deliver. I know that's still early, but it's certainly better than the 29 week mark when they first wanted out!The last peri appointment (last week) the babies were 3lb, 10 oz and 3lb, 12 oz.

Thanks so much for everyone's support!

E-girl
    31 weeks, 5 days
    b/g twins

11. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

E-girl, you're doing great! Good weights!

I was going to add that putting lots of pillows to bolster me helped. In the hospital, they added a memory foam mattress to my bed when my hips hurt and kept getting all numb & weird. I'd hug a body pillow all day with it between my knees, and that was comfier too.

In the hospital, I would have to lay on my back while the monitor belt was on me, and that was horrible. . . I don't rec the back position.

Keep up the good work!