High White Blood Cell Count

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mom_erica1978, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mom_erica1978

mom_erica1978 Member

I found out that I was expecting twins at an ultrasound I had at 7 weeks. Unfortunatly, we lost one of the twins between that ultrasound and my 20 week ultrasound. I am now 27 weeks pregnant with one and just received a call from my Dr. saying that my white blood cell count was high and it could be caused by the twin that was lost. He is now refering me to a high risk dr. for a second opinion....and of course i am freaking. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information about it? Any imput would be great! Thanks!

2. mom_erica1978

mom_erica1978 Member

I found out that I was expecting twins at an ultrasound I had at 7 weeks. Unfortunatly, we lost one of the twins between that ultrasound and my 20 week ultrasound. I am now 27 weeks pregnant with one and just received a call from my Dr. saying that my white blood cell count was high and it could be caused by the twin that was lost. He is now refering me to a high risk dr. for a second opinion....and of course i am freaking. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information about it? Any imput would be great! Thanks!

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I was in and out of the hospital due to PTL, and on several occasions, my white blood cell count was high. The docs gave me antibiotics, just in case of an infection. Let's hope that is all it is. I am glad to hear you are seeing a high-risk doctor, just to be on the safe side.

4. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

it is great you get to see a peri...a lot of things can contribute to a high white count including a bladder infection, etc. hopefully an antibiotic is all it takes.

5. shelbyolivia

shelbyolivia Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss, first of all. I have Crohn's disease which contributed to a constant high white count during my pregnancy. My dr gave me antibiotics during my last month of pregnancy, just in case & watched my counts during the other months. I hoope that all goes well for you & that your worries are resolved at your second opinion. [​IMG]

6. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I don't have any experience with this but just wanted to send some hugs! Hopefully everything turns out alright, so please keep us posted!

7. All Boys

All Boys Well-Known Member

Hopefully your appt with the peri is soon so you can put your mind at ease... I agree with PP's, there are quite a few things that can cause the elevated white blood cell count...

I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    Let us know how it goes.